6TB Seagate Hard Drives $199 Shipped Free

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The cheapest way to get those high capacity disks is by tearing them out of external enclosures. I got a couple 5TB drives for ~$135 over the holidays.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The cheapest way to get those high capacity disks is by tearing them out of external enclosures. I got a couple 5TB drives for ~$135 over the holidays.

Are those 7200 RPM drives like the 6TB model?

LunarMist

I saw the deal yesterday. There's at least one problem with it... It's a Seagate. :p

My problem is that it is eBay. I have several of the Seagate 6TB drives. I don't like the noisy recalibration or whatever they do every 10 seconds. :(

LunarMist

Does Seagate make a 5900RPM 6TB drive? I'd prefer them over the 7200 RPM I have.

LunarMist

I don't see any loose slow Seagate drives. Is it easy to extract the drives?

LunarMist

Does this have just one disk in it?

Yes it must. I examined the box in the retail store and the 8TB looks the same as the lower capacities. As mentioned by Coug, it's not large enough for 2 full sized drives, and there are no smaller 4TB drives.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Yes it must. I examined the box in the retail store and the 8TB looks the same as the lower capacities. As mentioned by Coug, it's not large enough for 2 full sized drives, and there are no smaller 4TB drives.

Do you know if it is the same archive drive that will be released in March?

sedrosken

Florida Man
I love how such high capacity hard drives are getting so cheap, but PCs are still being sold with 500GB hard drives as standard. You'd think 1 or 2TB would be standard by now.

Mercutio

Relatively few people will shop for machines with drives that large and those that do will be buying more drives regardless. The unit pricing difference between 320 and 500GB is not terribly significant for consumers who are aware of the distinction. It's $5 on Amazon or Newegg, but that turns in to $50 if the 500GB drive is seen as an "upgrade" from 320 that in turn makes the $80 up-sell on a 1TB drive look even better you don't know the actual cost

Stereodude

Not really a
Pretty sure they're 5900rpm.
So I received my drive from Newegg this past week. The drive in the box is a ST6000DX000. According to this review it's a 7200RPM drive.

The read and write speeds are pretty impressive. I don't know why they didn't use a program that measures read and write STR across the whole disk though.

LunarMist

So I received my drive from Newegg this past week. The drive in the box is a ST6000DX000. According to this review it's a 7200RPM drive.

The read and write speeds are pretty impressive. I don't know why they didn't use a program that measures read and write STR across the whole disk though.

That was my the point. I don't know of any Seagate 5900 RPM drives.

Mercutio

All of the drives with "Archive" branding are 5900rpm. That's not to say that there aren't 7200rpm drives, but Seagate makes lots and lots of 5900rpm models.