Virtual Router Plus

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Howdy-
Anybody use Virtual Router Plus?

I could see this being useful for me because my mITX system has built in WiFi, that currently I never use. I could potentially use this program on my upstairs Win 8.1 Pro computer to have a wireless hotspot closer to where I have my wireless devices as opposed to in my basement where my wireless router currently is.

Is there a better option that this software to create a wireless hotspot out of a PC?

Thanks!
Clocker

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd have to think that you are making some security compromises if you are using the router part of this. If all you care about is using your wired computer (that has wifi) into another AP, it seems quite reasonable.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Windows has had Internet Connection Sharing built in since Windows 98 and the ability to form ad hoc WLANs since XP. Is this doing anything extra above and beyond those things?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Windows has had Internet Connection Sharing built in since Windows 98 and the ability to form ad hoc WLANs since XP. Is this doing anything extra above and beyond those things?

I guess it's not as easy as it used to be. I can remember using ICS back in the day.

http://4sysops.com/archives/how-to-share-wi-fi-in-windows-8-with-internet-connection-sharing-ics/
]

Looks like more work to setup now...although I was not using WIFI back then.

I imagine the program just simplifies some of the steps.