Netbook for the wife

Stereodude

Not really a
This might be just the replacement for my netbook that I'm looking for.

Higher res screen - check
Gigabit ethernet - check
More powerful processor - check
Video acceleration - check

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That is a bit heavier than my small notebook with a larger screen. I don't think it is a netbook other than perhaps in price, whatever that would be. Where is the line drawn?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My girlfriend is looking to get a netbook and I'm helping her. I'm looking for something with an 11 or 12 inch screen, 6-cell battery, ability to upgrade to 2GB RAM, a decent CPU, and a GPU capable of playing HD Video.

From what I've read the GMA500 has hardware acceleration for most things, but it's unsupported in XP, which is what most of these come with. Does anyone know differently? If I have 1080p content, is there any chance on earth one of these will be able to play it?

I'm considering the following models:

Acer Aspire One AO751h-1545 - XP Home, z520, 1GB, 1366 x 768, GMA 500
Acer Aspire One AO751h-1893 - Vista Home, z520, 2GB, 1366 x 768, GMA 500
Lenovo Ideapad S12 - XP Home, n270, 1GB, 1280 x 800, GMA 950 (I can get this for $441 with a discount)
ASUS Eee PC 1101HA - XP Home, z520, 1GB, 1366 x 768, GMA 500

Are there any other valid competitors that I'm missing here?

Last edited:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That is a bit heavier than my small notebook with a larger screen. I don't think it is a netbook other than perhaps in price, whatever that would be. Where is the line drawn?

The specs for what's allowed in a netbook are mostly set by Microsoft and its desire to not supply Windows XP to anything with actually decent hardware. So Netbooks have Atom CPUs instead of Celerons, support for at most 2GB RAM and use older graphics chipsets.

$350 will buy a 1.6GHz Atom + 1GB RAM + a 160GB hard disk and a 10 or 12" screen, or it'll buy a 2GHz dual core Celeron + 3GB RAM + a 15" screen + a DVD burner, all in a package that will run for about 1/3 as long on a battery.

Stereodude

Not really a
Review for the Acer 11.6" 'mini-notebook' here.

Sorry guys, I think you both need to take a cold shower. :)
:confused: That thing is a known pile of crap, and not the model I'm waiting for. That has a slow as heck Atom with a gimped chipset made for MIDs. The 11.6" Acer I'm interested in has a much more powerful Core 2 Solo coupled with Intel's GMA4500MHD chipset.

I take it you didn't actually click my link.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm considering the following models:

Acer Aspire One AO751h-1545 - XP Home, z520, 1GB, 1366 x 768, GMA 500
Acer Aspire One AO751h-1893 - Vista Home, z520, 2GB, 1366 x 768, GMA 500
Lenovo Ideapad S12 - XP Home, n270, 1GB, 1280 x 800, GMA 950 (I can get this for $441 with a discount)
ASUS Eee PC 1101HA - XP Home, z520, 1GB, 1366 x 768, GMA 500

Are there any other valid competitors that I'm missing here?
I'd wait for the CULV based 11.6 machines. They have very low power consumption Core 2 solo (5.5W) or Core 2 Duo (10W) processors with the much better GMA4500MHD chipset. They sacrifice a little battery life for a much more powerful and usable machine.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'd wait for the CULV based 11.6 machines. They have very low power consumption Core 2 solo (5.5W) or Core 2 Duo (10W) processors with the much better GMA4500MHD chipset. They sacrifice a little battery life for a much more powerful and usable machine.

How much do you think these machines will cost?

Stereodude

Not really a
Do you have any guess on when they will be on the market?
You can pre-order the Acer now. You can get any of the three colors for $405 from J&R after 10% bing.com cashback. My wild guess is that I would expect it by the end of the month.

To bad it comes with Vista Premium Home. Though I guess that makes it eligible for a free Windows 7 upgrade.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You can pre-order the Acer now. You can get any of the three colors for $405 from J&R after 10% bing.com cashback. My wild guess is that I would expect it by the end of the month.

To bad it comes with Vista Premium Home. Though I guess that makes it eligible for a free Windows 7 upgrade.

The only one I can find is 599.99. Do you have a link?

Stereodude

Not really a
Great, thanks. Are there any reviews published of this model yet?
Nope, no reviews yet.
Also, do you know if the screen is glossy or more of a matte? I hate glossy screens.
My best guess is that it's glossy. Acer calls it a, "Acer® CineCrystal 11.6" WXGA (1366 x 768) high-brightness (200-nit) TFT display with 16:9 aspect ratio and LED backlight".

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Nope, no reviews yet.
My best guess is that it's glossy. Acer calls it a, "Acer® CineCrystal 11.6" WXGA (1366 x 768) high-brightness (200-nit) TFT display with 16:9 aspect ratio and LED backlight".

Maybe I can take some sandpaper to it and turn it from glossy to matte ;)

LunarMist

The Acer is interesting, but unfortunately the OS is Vista. :(

LunarMist

I post all over with different usernames, but never more than 5 on one forum.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I take it you didn't actually click my link.
Hey, I clicked on your link, but perhaps you didn't? :p For me at least, it doesn't link to any specific laptop, and in fact I can't spot the one you're talking about anywhere on those tabs (maybe I was too quick, but whatever).

Anyway, the review link was intended as a cautionary tale, particularly for timwhit. I knew it wasn't the one you were after, but I think it had the same or very similar graphics, for instance. When you said "Video acceleration - check", my skepticism flared up. Can you point us to some independent verification of its ability to successfully play HD?

While I'm at it, can someone please explain why you would need 1080HD on a 768 line screen? Or is this for use as an HTPC? I'm not a Home Theatre nut, so I really don't get it ...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
While I'm at it, can someone please explain why you would need 1080HD on a 768 line screen? Or is this for use as an HTPC? I'm not a Home Theatre nut, so I really don't get it ...

If I have video that is encoded in 1080p that I want to play on a screen that's smaller than that I'll still need additional processing power. Correct me if I'm wrong. I would rather not have to re-encode 1080p video to 720p to be able to play it on the netbook.

Stereodude

Not really a
Hey, I clicked on your link, but perhaps you didn't? :p For me at least, it doesn't link to any specific laptop, and in fact I can't spot the one you're talking about anywhere on those tabs (maybe I was too quick, but whatever).
If you have acer.com blocked with NoScript or Javascript blocked it won't take you to a specific machine.
Anyway, the review link was intended as a cautionary tale, particularly for timwhit. I knew it wasn't the one you were after, but I think it had the same or very similar graphics, for instance. When you said "Video acceleration - check", my skepticism flared up. Can you point us to some independent verification of its ability to successfully play HD?
Well, it has the Intel GMA4500MHD which according to the nice table at Wikipedia has the following features:

MPEG-2: VLD + iDCT + MC
VC-1: VLD + iMDCT + MC + LDF
AVC: VLD + iMDCT + MC + LDF

The GMA950 used in most netbooks have these features:

MPEG-2: MC
VC-1: None
AVC: None

The GMA500 used in some netbooks have these features:

MPEG-2: VLD + iDCT + MC
VC-1: VLD + iMDCT + MC + LDF
AVC: VLD + iMDCT + MC + LDF

Definitions:
VLD: Variable-length decoding
iDCT: inverse discrete cosine transform
iMDCT: inverse modified discrete cosine transform
MC: Motion compensation
LDF: In-loop deblocking filter

However, the GMA500 was intended to drive low resolution panels found in MID and other handheld devices and reported the acceleration doesn't work under Windows XP. Whereas the GMA4500MHD is derived from a desktop chipset that actually works. ;-)

Because you don't want to have to recode / transcode things you download so you can play them on your PC. :eek:

Mercutio

One thing I've found in my life as a tech is that everything with an Acer badge (I don't know who makes their stuff) on it has a REALLY delicate screen.

Also, Acer's support site is really bad.

I'm sure that thing is pretty nice other than that.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm thinking to cancel my Acer Aspire 1410 pre-order and waiting for the Dual Core version of the 1410/1810. It will have a SU4100 (1.3gHz x 2 w/ 2MB of L2) instead of the SU3500 (1.4gHz x 1 w/ 3MB of L2). The SU3500 doesn't have hyper-threading and I swore off single core systems that lack HT when I got my 3.06gHz P4 w/ HT and became hooked on the responsiveness it offered.

LunarMist

One thing I've found in my life as a tech is that everything with an Acer badge (I don't know who makes their stuff) on it has a REALLY delicate screen.

Also, Acer's support site is really bad.

I'm sure that thing is pretty nice other than that.

I have purchased four Acer noetbooks over the years and none had/have display problems. The last one was about 2 1/2 years ago, so maybe they are getting worse. The appeal of the 1410, or 1810 etc., is the low cost for the size. For occasional consumer use I think they should be sufficient, but probably not in everyday business use.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, I canceled my order. I'm going to wait and see what happens in the 11.6" CULV market space before jumping in.

Mercutio

I have purchased four Acer noetbooks over the years and none had/have display problems.

Relative to the number of notebooks that I fix, and relative to the number of Acer notebooks I have ever worked on, Acer notebooks are by far the most likely to have an issue that requires replacing either the display or the inverter.

I've done 11 in the last two years. The reason that's a big deal is that I don't support any businesses that use Acer notebooks; every one of those has been a system that some random person has brought to me (including my own brother) rather that one poorly made model or other.

The ODM for Acer is also used by Gateway and Toshiba, but Acer seems to be the problem child; I think Acer's lower pricing makes its notebooks more appealing to less responsible people.