ZFS import forgotten at boot - systemd?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Ubuntu 15.04. Uses systemd. I can install ZFS on Linux such that it appears to be running when I first log on ("$ dmesg | grep ZFS[ 134.263583] ZFS: Loaded module v0.6.4.1-1~vivid, ZFS pool version 5000, ZFS filesystem version 5"). I can run zpool status and see that my pools are there.

Set up my fstab to mount the datasets where I want them but they're not there on boot. I can import the pool (sudo spool import -a or sudo zpool import pool) and then they're magically mounted where they should be. If after boot I run zpool status, I see nothing. Does anybody have any idea why this might be?

Maybe I should just stop trying to run ZFS on Linux. Is performance over an NFS share to a freenas (freeBSD) machine really that much worse?

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't tried zfs under 15.04 yet I'm still on 14.10 right now. What happens if you set the mount as part of the zpool property and remove the commands from fstab? It may be possible your cache file is stale or not working properly. If you use the mountpoint property of ZFS then during import it should mount the filesystem for you. What happens if you try rebuilding the zpool.cache file (see below)? Do you see any problems in /var/log/syslog?

zfs mount point example.
Code:
zfs set mountpoint=/mnt pool/filesystem

Cache file rebuild

Adcadet

Storage Freak
The disks are no longer in my fstab. I guess I could try putting them back in.

I use the set mountpoint command and rebuilt the cash, and no joy. On boot I still get "no pools available".

From last night I see: Device dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-zfs.device appeared twice with different sysfs paths /sys/devices

Doesn't ZoL for Ubuntu use mountall. Could that be the problem?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
And after I put it in the fstab I can't boot into gnome shell and get kicked to the command line.