Your pets, and mine.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
we have two fantastic dogs. Jake is a 5yo Staffordshire Bull Terrier and we have a beautiful red, 4yo female American Pit-bull Terrier called Cassie.

Jake is a typical Staffy, very boisterous, with a huge personality and is amazingly strong. he's lots of fun. he's also an incredible escape artist and keeps me busy patching the places he manages to get out from. lately he's been jumping the 6' fence we have at the rear of our property. not bad for a dog that has a shoulder height of 14". we're currently having to build 6'4" fence with another foot high worth of trellis above that. oh well, the fence did need replacing anyway.

Cassie on the other hand has a temperament that is nothing like a typical APBT. APBTs are very similar to Staffys in temperament but tend to be a little less boisterous. granted Kirsty and i put a pot of effort into teaching her to not play rough, not to play bite and so forth but i doubt we had much of an impact. she is the most relaxed, laid back and placid dog you'll ever meet, as i'm sure slo crostic would attest to. she's almost completely deaf but she responds well to hand signals.

we love our dogs and have put a lot of time and effort into their training which is beneficial for both us and them. good training and good care makes for happy dogs and happy dog owners :)

so, how about you guys? who here has pets and what have you got?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Mine is an odd mixture, mostly quiet and rather grumpy at times, but every now and then he gets into a manic sort of phase and runs round like life is just a great big, friendly joke. I like him best when he is sort of half way in-between, but that doesn't happen often. He is very smart, and yet he is really dumb too - sometimes both at the same time, which can be really funny. I call him Tannin.

Handruin

Administrator
The apartment I'm in doesn't allow for cat and dogs, so at the moment, Laura and I have 11 freshwater fish in a 55 gallon tank. I'm still waiting for pictures to get developed so I can show people. We have 10 Zebra Danios and 1 catfish.

The Zebras are fun to watch, they are very active and play tag all day long. I even had one who loved to swim up the water stream produced by the filter. For a while there I had to keep scooping him out of my filter, that little bugger. He was stuck, but in no harm thank goodness.

It was rather humorous and scary at first. Every morning and night when I got home, I would count the fish to make sure non had died. One night I was freakin’ out because we only had 10 fish, not 11. I couldn't find one. So I eventually looked into the filter and sure enough it was happy as a clam swimming in the cleanest water in the tank. :)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
At the office I get frequent visits from giant wasps. These are the biggest wasps I have ever seen. About 1.5 inches long, they fly real slow but they make a ton of noise and there is no way in hell I would want to get stung by one of them. So I am forced to kill them. The best way is to use canned air and turn the can upside down and freeze them. But if there is no canned air around a newspaper works pretty well too.

At home I had a dog until 2 years ago when she died of liver failure (probably had something to do with all the gross shit she ate). Snickers was a beagle. She was extemely calm and as she got older slept most of the time. When she was younger she would rid the backyard of anything living. Opposums, birds, rabbits, moles and anything else that was dumb enough to invade the dog's territory (never did get a squirrel though). The worst I ever saw her do was rip a cardinal right out of the air as it was taking off. Did the same thing to a blue bird one time also. We got her when I was about 5 so I basically grew up with that dog (someone had abondoned her in the UP of Michigan). My parents won't get another dog but when I live somewhere that allows pets I will get another beagle.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
We have a cat at work (yes, at work!) named Tuffy. He arrived to us with a shaved behind and stitches in both back legs. He had been hit by a car, leaving both of his back legs broken. The owners of our business rescued him from the middle of the road (he had been left abandoned), and had him patched up. He lives in a room in the back of our office, and hangs out with us in the showroom during the day, greeting customers and basically living the ultimate cat's life. I was never a big cat person before Tuffy (not that I didn't like cats, just didn't have much experience with them), but I am hooked now. He has a terrific personality, and is extremely friendly--he acts more like a dog than a cat (he even sometimes fetches!)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have two cats, named Will and Grace. The local humane societies wouldn't let Amy and I adopt a cat because of an enormous risk of FIV and Feline Leukemia in the feral cats near my apartment, so we drove almost two hours to a vet that operates a non-kill animal rescue. When I got my kittens, they had been in the vet's care for almost two months, suffering from respiratory ailments and malnutrition. Will and Grace had a brother kitten who was housed with them. They were trying to wake him up when we walked in, but he'd succumbed to the infection literally minutes before we came in - the third kitten's body was still warm.
Our hearts lept out for the rest of the litter, so we took home Will and Grace that day.

Gracie is naturally shy and high-strung but is a real cuddlebug. She also dreams of visiting "outside" - she spends all her time at windows and likes to try to get out the door. She also loves being brushed and she speaks when spoken to. Will is me, in cat form. He sleeps on my computers, especially keyboards I'm trying to use, and thinks my rack of gear is some kind of jungle gym/nest. He's very laid back and almost never vocalizes. He doesn't like being outside, and he likes to follow me around the house. Will even gets in the bathtub with me. He does lots of low-level bad-stuff (furniture scratching, table-investigating) but he knows the rules pretty well. Will likes ramen noodles for a treat.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
My 8 year old cat, Madoka, is a pure bred Seal Point Himalayan. Very beautiful, but somewhat of a ditz. She plays occasionally but is mostly a lazy bum and has been known to sleep in the same position on the couch for 16+ hours straight. She generally follows me around & occasionally wants attention. Mostly she just wants to be in the same room. If I'm away for more than 12 hours, she'll get desparate for attention and approach my fiancee or anyone else who happens by. That's a shift because when she was younger she would scurry away whenever a visitor came by. Her hind legs both have a congenital defect where the bone in the knee socket isn't fully there & the ball joint can shift out of place. So she limps a bit & doesn't jump very high. If it ever becomes painful for her I'll get it fixed but the surgery is rather expensive.

My fiancee's dog is a Rat Terrier named Valentine because of a small heart-shaped patch of white fur on her forehead. Val is about 4 now. Full of energy and jealous as heck of anyone other than her who gets attention, especially from my fiancee. Val follows her around & is instantly in her lap or right next to her whenever she sits down. Loves 'puppy rides' in the car but is very fidgety and takes a long time to settle down. As a pup she had a stuffed bear that she played with; now she only recognizes the word 'bear' in relation to toys. Say 'where's toy' & get no reaction. Say 'where's bear' & she goes off looking for her latest chew toy, regardless of it's actual shape (plastic dumbell = 'bear', for example). Very loving; wants to lick most people's faces. Smiles, wags her nub of a tail.

The two get along pretty well now, although there was quite a bit of hissing when they were first introduced.

- Fushigi

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
About 45 cory cats, green and white, a geophagus, simaneses,

4 frogs, and we have adopted Kava.

I have a couple plant tanks, one 55 and one 30 gallon.

One tank has 4 frogs, one very small fish we call, 'little lady', who looks like a minature tetra, but black, and actually looks like a siamenese, or, an otocinclus(phonetic spelling on these names, all are pretty much latin).

The frogs are african frogs, and have outstanding personalities, at least the mother frog, that will sit up, look at you, and swim to your hand for food.

The cory cats are a mix of green and another, shyer darker catfish. They hide most of the time, but, they hide by freezing where you can see them.

That's the 30 gallon tank.

the 50 or 55 long, can't remember which, has plenty of plants, more around 35-45 catfish, white and green, otos, simenese, one, and a giant geophageus, that, if he wasn't so unique, should already have been sold.

The catfish breed, and, I originally started with 5 catfish.
I found a live baby in one of the filters, and learned from that that I could breed them, though it's a pain in the arse.

Constant water changes, and separate tanks.

For larger animals we have long range adopted Kava.

She is a very smart, african female elephant, who weighs around 9000 pounds, and eats 150 pounds of hay a day.
She's very bright, and so far, I think she's about 30, the only people she's gotten mad at are her fellow elephants. 12 if I remember right, and she is the third smallest. They tend to get rather, well, aggressive, and knock each other around. This is a very good time for humans to get their arses out of the way.

Anyway, I wish I could keep her outside on the golf course...

Tea would get along just fine with her.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
About 45 cory cats, green and white, a geophagus, simaneses,

4 frogs, and we have adopted Kava.

I have a couple plant tanks, one 55 and one 30 gallon.

One tank has 4 frogs, one very small fish we call, 'little lady', who looks like a minature tetra, but black, and actually looks like a siamenese, or, an otocinclus(phonetic spelling on these names, all are pretty much latin).

The frogs are african frogs, and have outstanding personalities, at least the mother frog, that will sit up, look at you, and swim to your hand for food.

The cory cats are a mix of green and another, shyer darker catfish. They hide most of the time, but, they hide by freezing where you can see them.

That's the 30 gallon tank.

the 50 or 55 long, can't remember which, has plenty of plants, more around 35-45 catfish, white and green, otos, simenese, one, and a giant geophageus, that, if he wasn't so unique, should already have been sold.

The catfish breed, and, I originally started with 5 catfish.
I found a live baby in one of the filters, and learned from that that I could breed them, though it's a pain in the arse.

Constant water changes, and separate tanks.

For larger animals we have long range adopted Kava.

She is a very smart, african female elephant, who weighs around 9000 pounds, and eats 150 pounds of hay a day.
She's very bright, and so far, I think she's about 30, the only people she's gotten mad at are her fellow elephants. 12 if I remember right, and she is the third smallest. They tend to get rather, well, aggressive, and knock each other around. This is a very good time for humans to get their arses out of the way.

Anyway, I wish I could keep her outside on the golf course...

Tea would get along just fine with her.

s

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Oh yes, Kava is sweet. She is also the only person I know who can eat bananas almost as fast as I can. She's be even faster than me, being so much bigger, but because of her trunk she can only pick up one at a time, where I can use both hands at once.

(hic)

Vlad The Impaler

Learning Storage Performance
My cat is called Suzi. See my avatar for a piccie. She is a rescue cat and is 13 years old. She sleeps all day and begs for food the rest of the time. She rules our house with a paw of steel.....

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
A "rescue cat", JTR?

It that sort of like a smaller version of one of those St Bernard dogs with little wooden basks of brandy round their necks that the Swiss use to rescue lost skiers? :wink:

Mercutio

Rescued from a pound or shelter Tea. Like my cats. One day I'd like to have a shorthair Scottish Fold again, too, but whenever I think of it, I remember all the animals that are in shelters that need homes, too.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
A "rescue cat", JTR?

It that sort of like a smaller version of one of those St Bernard dogs with little wooden basks of brandy round their necks that the Swiss use to rescue lost skiers? :wink:

Umm, Vlad The Impaler wrote that post, but I have a Persian cousin named Suzette(nickname Suzi) that was also rescued from outside. Plus two others(Tiger and Lucky) who were also rescued from a neighbors lawn when their mother abandoned them. The cat in JTR's avatar(who occasionally borrows JTR's screen name and PC when he's not looking) is actually JTR's brother's cat, Cleo. In fact, it is I, Cleo, who is posting right now. I think JTR is napping or getting drunk or something. Who knows? Who cares?

BTW, me and my three cousins have a couple of pet humans, including JTR. We like to keep humans around to feed us, pet us, clean our litter box, keep us warm in winter, and otherwise fuss over us. Other than as exotic pets, though, humans really have no uses. And they're sooo ugly! I'm sure you'll agree with me there, Tea.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmm ... well, Tannin can be handy when I'm stuck on a tricky networking problem, but apart from that, yes, he's pretty useless. Not the most beautiful of humans either. And excuse me, Vlad. I had a slip of the brain. Must be all that time I've spent with humans lately. Picking up bad habits.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Vlad... paws of steel... pretty funny. :)

My cat is a shelter cat. I've had her about 6 months now and she was expected to be 1 year old when I got her.

She is pretty lazy for the most part but we have started this new game. It reminds me of the relationship between Inspector Clouseau and Kato. She might be resting peacefully but then I'll pounce on her and we take off running as fast as we can to the other end of the house. As for her, when I'm about to walk out of the room she will pounce on me and one-paw, no claw attack my calf until I run to the other end of the house.

She has just now started to get interested in the vertical surfaces she can get too without using my lap as an intermediate step. i.e. the microwave table and dining room chair->dining room table as opposed to workbench.

She has stopped the paw-in-the-eyes morning wake up call. I think 5:30 is too early for her.

I left one of my dresser drawers open for a couple weeks. She figured out how to climb up from the bottom and end up inside the drawer. Once I closed the drawer she let me know her protest by clawing up the face of the dresser. So much for that antique.

She still likes to climb inside my office drawer from the back using my sub-woofer as a step.

Crazy cat.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Woof came to me as a stray. She was about two or three years old then, and very timid. She took up residance under my house and around the back on the bricks (which have a roof over them). Eventually I cleaned out some old frozen lamb that had been forgotten at the bottom of the deep freeze till past its use-by and .... well you can guess the rest.

She's a very pretty black and white thing, prone to getting tubby, a moggy but more-or-less in the English Shorthair mould. She obviously came from a good home, for she was already spayed and is (once she overcomes her timidity) very affectionate. She soon gets to know the regular visitors here and turns up for cuddling with them. Everyone likes Woof.

Ginger is a completely different fish. Ginger was taken away from her mother too young and spent the next few months in a student household where she was (I presume) subject to random nastiness mixed in with ocassional kindness. She had to endure days on end without food as the students would run out of money from time to time. When they did feed her, all she ever got was the cheapest canned fish they could find.

Oddly enough, she didn't become a weak, unhealthy thing. She is a tough one, Ginger is, tough and totally selfish. If she was human, she would have tattoos, carry a knife, and wear a black Tee-shirt. An ex of mine rescued her from that hell-house when she was about half-grown and brought her round to me as a present.

I was pleased. Woof was not pleased.

kitchen.jpg

A typical household scene in my kitchen: from left to right, screwdrivers, hard drives - yes, one is a Micropolis 2217, Mercutio - fridge, and Woof getting a hard time from Ginger, same as usual.

Ginger was a riotiously funny kitten. More energy than an atom bomb, and just as mean and nasty smetimes. No - that's not quite right. Ginger is not anti-social, she is asocial. She just doesn't care about people or cats in the slightest. She only cares about her own comfort and entertainment. Often she would wake me up in the middle night because she had taken it into her head that she wanted to play trampolines, and I was a nice soft and bouncy target.

Ginger now rules the household, She is entirely selfish, never says "hello", only pays attention to me when she thinks there is food to be had. Woof has to do what she is told. When I go to bed, Ginger is usually right in the middle of the queen-size bed and growls at me for disturbing her. (Woof used to own the bed, but has been exiled to the left arm of the leather armchair in the lounge room now. If it's really cold, she negotiates some kind of truce with Ginger and is allowed to sleep on the bed after all.

When she first arrived, Ginger refused to eat anything except fish. I don't think that she realised that this other stuff was really food. Woof, on the other hand, had never been fond of fish and used to turn her nose up at it. So I alternated. Fish tonight, lamb or chicken the next. After about six months, Ginger had come to prefer meat, and Woof is the keener fish eater of the two. The both like my pasta - especially Woof, who has a liking bordering on mania for anything with tomato and garlic in it. They are mostly pretty well-behaved, but I can't put a plate of pasta down without keeping a careful eye on it. They both understand the term "person tucker". It means "Cats are not permitted to eat this, but must sit six inches away pretending to ignore it until Tanin turns his back for a moment".

Ginger, for all her personality faults, is very smart. Well, "crafty", or "sly" might be better terms. She has only one endearing habit: every now and again, after I get out of the shower, she comes over and helps me dry off. I love the tickly feel of her tiny little rasp of a tongue.

After a while, I got tired of never being able to put the plate of pussycat tucker down on the back step without having it upset by kamikaze feeders (especially Ginger). So I trained them: they now both know that the only way to get fed is to clear off the step completely. Ginger sits on the arm of the wooden armchair nearby (which giver her a downhill pounce on the plate), Woof must content herself with jumping up.

Neither one understands plates. They both race out and take up their feeding positions every time I go out to the toilet (which is outside) and even more so when I go out to pick up the empty plate. The see me bend dowen to collect the plate and quiver with eagerness, then complain bitterly when the food does not materialise. 30 seconds later, we have an instant replay, but with the genuine article this time.

Woof is a skilled and persistant mouser. (It's a very old wooden house, so a paradise for rats and mice. I used to have endless trouble with them before Woof arrived.) Ginger is more interested in birds. My birds here in the city are nearly all vermin species (blackbirds, sparrows) so I'm not so fussed about that. Ginger catches mice too, but rarely eats them. Quite often, she catches a mouse and Woof eats it. Well, most of it: she leaves the head and the tail. Usually in some completely inappropriate place.

ginger.jpg

Ginger surveying the front yard, wondering what mischief she can get up to next.

I have come to know their calls very well. Quite often I hear the cat flap bang, and a thunder of feet (Woof rarely troubles to walk quietly and the floor is polished boards) and that distinctive repeated miaoing that says "I've caught something, aren't I clever?" Usually I can tell which one has done the catching from the particular sound they make.

One night, I heard some truly blood-curdling noises, loud bangs and snapped the light on to discover Woof locked in mortal combat with an enormous rat. It was the biggest rat I have ever seen, almost as long as she is (though not as heavy, of course). Within a few moments, Woof gave the rat a mighty right roundhouse cross to the head, and went for the jugular with her teeth. For hours after that I endured her incessant instant replays of that premership moment. I am absolutely certain that she was not just in her own world: she would actively seek me out and make sure that she had my attention before doing the 19,203rd instant replay, then look back up at me, basking in the admiration.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
rofl great rat story

Kava, by the way, eats bunches of bananas. Her keeper would throw her about 10 at a time, and she was adept at grabbing them in her mouth, and swallowing them quickly, without the trunk.
Didn't chew them much, either.

Her trunk was pretty amazing. I'm sure an elephant could get into EVERYTHING, between their trunk, their strength, and their intelligence. They also like to swim, and wade.

I was just thinking how quickly she could lay waste to to golf course we live on. 150 pounds of grass, trees, and shrubs a day would certainly go quickly...

s

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Cliptin: close but no cigar. This is Ginger. I think the correct phrase is something more like "What the f**k do you want, you anoying moron?"

E_Dawg: not really a pain. It's a very small house and the porch that leads to the toilet is under cover. In any case, it's not practical to heat the house, it's too drafty, so outside isn't all that much colder. (Hey - I could buy a new house, but why? This one is paid for and I'm perfectly used to my spartan lifestyle. I will move one day, but it will be to a large block - 10 acres or more - and I have an almost complete lack of interest in the actual house that happens to be on it. Any old fally-down place will do, just so long as I have decent soil, adequete rainfall, and lots of birdlife. Needless to add, Ginger and Woof won't get to come to the new house. If I have real birds, they won't be invited.)

Santilli: that vision of Kava and a beautifully-manicured golf course ... it cracks me up.

Mercutio

Birds. Horrid creatures. All they do is shed feathers and crap.

Fish are bad too. Unblinking fish-eyes disturb me, as do their scaley bodies. Amy has fish. I don't think they're pets. They're dreadful little creatures that remind me of HP Lovecraft stories. They ate their young, and one of the smaller ones is missing substantial portions of his tailfins. These are not qualities I'd desire in a pet.

When I lived in Illinois I had a neighbor with a de-scented skunk for a pet. Its name was Bobo. Bobo was unbelievably sweet, would pretty much cuddle with anybody, and was even basically housetrained. I thought Bobo was the coolest pet in the world.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Forgive my cross-post, but I see that you are in need of some education, Mercutio.

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~camcroft/musklorikeet.htm
http://www.cohsoft.com.au/nature/gallery/m/musklori.jpg
http://www.birdworld.com.au/records/lorikeets/musklori.html

The anti-matter birds came calling today.

Green on green, greener than green, broadfeather arrows twist-morph-twist, shape shift, now iridescent-sheer, now clear. Translucent green green colours that flash in the cool dusk light, brighter by far than the new full moon fresh-risen.

"Gravity? What is gravity?" they call to one another, "Eggs have gravity. We are not eggs. Do you know why trees have branches, and we have claws to grip them with? God gave us claws to hold us down with when it gets too dark for him to see us fly. We do not sleep, merely wait till it is light enough for us to delight one another with our loops and colours once again."

Greens so rich and ever-changing, so bright that the young cherry tree in its early summer plumage still spring-fresh looks grey. It dares not compete. It pretends it has seen nothing and draws its downcast leaves about itself, and waits with stoic patience for the year to pass. In the springtime it will be in blossom once again and unquestionably beautiful. Wait, says the cherry tree, wait till then.

There are lots of greens. There is the fresh soft green of new spring growth; the sullen dull-paint green left in kitchens and bathrooms by uncaring landlords; the subtle dark-sheen grey-green of eucalyptus leaves baking in the summer heat. There is the radiation-green of a uranium-laced clockface, glowing by the light of locked-up neutrons breaking free at last to continue their interrupted malice.

And there is parrot green: a hundred, a thousand parrot greens. There are more brights of green in an anti-matter bird's instant double twist with stall than there are shades of ordinary green in a thousand-year-old forest, more subtle variations in a flicking double wing beat than a soft young plant can show all season, and more glowing pre-dusk brightness in an casual feather-bend than a whole Chernobyl full of neutrons can achieve.

Constantly they call to one another. Calling, calling. Another pair of arrows do a daredevil run through the cherry tree leaves. "That's not green", sing the lorikeets, "merely one plain shade; green is a rainbow - look!" And the small green feathers flash an infinity of brights, tumbling, shape-shifting, curling in the breeze self-generated. (Brights, not shades - anti-matter birds have brights of colour.) But the feathered speaker is not scornful. He knows nothing and cares less for ordinary life forms. He lives only for his green and playful friends.

Speaker? What speaker? Where did he go?

He is lost in a shape-shift blending of brightness in amongst the darkness of the ironbark crown.

"Stealth was not invented in the USA", cries the anti-matter bird. "The strangely-shaped and terribly expensive F-22 Raptor is only hard to see at night, on radar. *We* have stealth by daylight! And we are there and gone so fast that no ordinary creature ever sees our real ability. Except God, perhaps. They say that God sees everything: then God must be a parrot."

"Can you follow this manoeuvre? No? A replay? Too late, I'm invisible again. You can hear me, but only my anti-matter friends and I know just where my call is coming from. "

He exists for but one moment, then another, and another, and another: an endless cycle of flashing instant-rainbow moments. He mocks nature so carelessly, so effortlessly, and so casually that he and his bright-clad friends draw no envy from the trees, create no rancor in the once-green world they turn, just by being there, into shades of leafy greenish-grey.

Their outer world of plain, dull, non-parrot green is just a shadow, a backdrop, an unthinkingly expected endless variety of momentary perches and conveniently placed acrobatic obstacles to make the miracle of flight more joyful. They are part of that green and leafy world, but like a fish in clear water, are quite unaware of its existence. To the anti-matter bird, the new-mown grass and the ever-changing foliage are just floorboards to make a theatre with, and he and his friends are always spot-lit centre-stage.

They sing without envy, without malice, without thought even, for nothing that a mere ordinary creature is or does is significant to an anti-matter bird. All can hear them but they know that only God can understand the meaning of their calls. This is not vanity, for vanity is the other face of the mortal coin of envy, and an anti-matter bird has no thought or need to envy any creature.

Twist. Shift. Disappear.

Call. Flip. Call again.

Hang upside-down just for the joy of it.

Fast. So fast that only other parrots see.

Even the cats are reflex-slow. They have long since stopped trying to track the green-feather arrows with their gazes. They lie unhappily on the still sunwarm bricks and do nothing at all: too out of sorts to argue mastery amongst themselves as they are wont to do when nothing better offers.

The red-wattled Lord of the Trees, who alone amongst all the creatures has been pretending to a life as usual, is subdued. He does not even think to chase off these invaders, just resigns himself to a period when he must reign incognito. He flies from perch to perch in a half-hearted sort of way, holding his head high still, but without conviction. His mood too is grey. He dare not challenge any of the little anti-matter birds, for there is nothing he can do that they cannot do better and more joyfully. He alone has the bravery to share a tree with them, taste a blossom here and there. They do not notice. He is, after all, just an ordinary creature, and who looks at a mere theatre manager when the divas are on stage?

Now there is a change in the cacophony of happy chatter, a few seconds of reduced intensity. Down unseen, near the foot of the eucalypt, there is a large, feathery rustle. Who dares interrupt the anti-matter birds?! A crow? A dog? It cannot be the cats, they still lie sullenly on the concrete path, pretending to take their ease and fooling no-one. Whatever it is, the lorikeets can see it, of course - their eyes are used to watching one another's flashing antics and no larger creature can remain invisible to them, if not seen it is simply ignored, unnoticed, not worthy of attention.

But this loud rustle is disruptive, offensive. In an instant fifty, eighty, a hundred happy lorikeets are united in outrage: angry now, affronted, baying in a din of righteous disapproval like an MCG finals crowd at a grievous umpiring mistake. For two, three, four full seconds they scream at the intruder - perhaps the one moment in their lives when they will all do the same thing at the same time - then they are off!

If this corner of the world does not see fit to behave correctly, it seems, then they will grace some other lucky place with their colours and their joyful acrobatics and their constant friendly banter. They take wing! And, in less time than it takes to write, the anti-matter birds are gone, leaving only the echoes of their brightness, distant spots of imagined colour hovering before my eyes, like dust motes in the sun. A few more seconds and the colour-echoes have faded too. All is grey.

From the north-east, the opposite direction, three latecomers arrive in a flash of wing-bend colour and circle briefly. Where are the others, they ask themselves. Is this not the gathering tree? This hilltop eucalypt must be out of favour then, in disgrace. No need to stay and find out why! The three are off without so much as touching claw to it. The others are far off to the west by now, out of human sight, but distance means nothing to an anti-matter bird. They too are gone.

Slowly, ever so slowly, the green-grey foliage turns green again, washed out and wan, but recovering its battered self-respect. One by one, the ordinary creatures creep back into the garden. A blackbird hops from tree to tree, looking shamefaced in its dowdy brown. The cats, knowing it is useless to feign indifference, stand up and go about their business.

The Lord of the Trees puffs out his red wattles and calls experimentally. Is it too soon to reassert his mastery of this suburban garden? Yes. He must wait.

The others will forget, and then he will be respected once again. Perhaps.

The anti-matter birds came calling today, the anti-matter birds came calling.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
skunks are cool, but, if you desmell them, and they get out

they have no natural protection. Therefore, in their desire to run our lives, such animals are illegal in Kalifornia.

s

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'm thinking to buy a hamster but I have to persuade my housemate (in Rome) first.
Yes, they smell funny but at least you don't have to take them for a walk... :wink:

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Prof.Wizard said:
I'm thinking to buy a hamster but I have to persuade my housemate (in Rome) first.
Yes, they smell funny but at least you don't have to take them for a walk... :wink:

PW and a hamster....I am not going to say anything.....anything at all.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
My top ten most wanted pets, for me

1. Killer whale(not sure who would be who's pet)
Ever since I watched them invade Steamer Lane, and, having been very close to em, like two inches from mouth and teeth, I've always thought they would make the ultimate surfing companion.

They can surf, by swimming hard, they catch waves, and stick their noses out of the wave, or, they leave a little water in front of them, and ride the energy.

KW's are probably smarter then we are, have a complex language, and can communicate complex thoughts over long range, with their own beeps etc.

They also have tempers, and a sense of revenge.

2. Kava- African elephants are a bit skitish, but very bright, and a joy to be around. Best not to intervene in family squabbles, rather hard to keep in an apartment.

3. Cheetahs many stories in africa of Cheetahs just moving into peoples homes, and living there. They appear to like people, and, it's very rare for one to attack a human. Playing catch is fun, since they can run under the ball before it lands, if you are throwing a tennis ball.

4. greyhounds similar to cheetahs, but, legal

5. skunks cuddly, affectionate, and smart as a whip.

6. raccoon- internet friend, very rich, and in the UAE, has a pet named Rocky. Problem is they become very angry if you decide to leave them alone, in their cage, and tore him up pretty good.

7. tigers guy at Marineworld had 7-9 siberian, and bengal tigers.
He retired to a giant ranch, and took his cats with him.
Bet they make good watch cats...

8 dogs mans best friend
Like great pyrs and newfs, both smart, big, and strong
wonderful dogs.

9. owls smart, fun, but they do tend to keep you up at night.

10 parrots and turtles honorable mention, since they can out live you...
Solves the problem of the pain of having your dog die.

gs

SteveC

Storage is cool
I've had a whole bunch of pets during my lifetime. Fish, guinea pigs, hamsters, 2 rabbits, a few snakes, a cockatiel, and an iguana. Mostly, however, it was just our standard poodle Penny and our cat Freckles. Penny was a pure breed and she lived to be 16, when she had a slipped disk in her back that paralyzed her two hind legs. Freckles was my sister's cat that my dad got from a friend. She lived to be 17, when she had a large tumor next to her lungs and had to be put to sleep.

When my sister took Freckles to the animal hospital, they told her that they just took in 30 cats from a woman who had just passed away. She adopted two of them about two years ago. Chloie, black with white paws and belly, was about two years old at the time, and Kayley, an all black cat that was only about five months old at the time. My sister had a job where she was working long hours, so I was always going to her place to feed and take care of them. In January, she let me take them to my place.

Chloie is very small, only about 7 pounds, but is fearless. She won't let you eat in peace, and she likes sleeping under my blankets. Kayley, who was very tiny when my sister adopted her, is now about 15-20 pounds. She is scared of everything, and won't let anyone but me pick her up. Whenever she hears Chloie eating, she has to eat, which is why she's so fat.

Steve

Sol

Storage is cool
I don't have pet at the moment. At home my parents place my sister has a psychotic cat. It really is fantastically stupid. It won't eat food that’s been sitting there for more than an hour or so. But if you just pick up the bowl and shake it it sort of gets reset somehow and is fine again, but only if he can hear it rattling.

The only pet where I am now is my house mates python. And that really just sits around and does nothing until it gets hungry. Even then it just moves around a bit until someone gives it a rat, then it goes back to sleep for a couple of weeks.

I'm considering maybe getting a few gold fish to put in my PC cooling system, but I have to find something that can survive with the copper from the radiator and water block. Unfortunately it seems catfish won't which is a shame since one of my housemates ex-girlfriend breeds them.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Jake, my flatmate just got a 3 month old Staffs Terrier. Its running around like crazy, trying to eat anything in its path!

Will post photos once I get my camera back from my friend :D

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
yep, that's staffys for you. they don't do things by halves, everything they do, they do with maximum effort. they love challenges too, the harder you make it for them, the more determined they become. an good example is our new back fence which it ended up being 6'8" in height. great i though, that'll stop him but 3 days after it was built our staffy somehow managed to scale it. i have no idea how :eekers:

as for chewing and eating anything, unfortunately it's not something staffys generally grow out of. another example; when we moved into our current house some 15 months ago, Jake took to eating a 6', 4x12" redgum sleeper. redgum is a very heavy, very solid Australian hardwood. no, he didn't chew it, he ate it over a period of about two weeks. i don't know of any other dog breed that when mature does things like that!

good training and understanding will make chewing issues easy to deal with. does your flatmate have any plans to train his pup (and himself!) ? i highly recommend even basic training, it's fun and good for all.

i'd love to see some photos of the staffy pup!

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
as for chewing and eating anything, unfortunately it's not something staffys generally grow out of

uh-oh... caught her chewing on the network cable today. Will have to reroute them and the electrical ones too lest she tries them as well.

I won't even tell you what she's deposited in the corner behind my desk (hint: its brown) :(

But he's had dogs previously so he's got some idea what he's doing. Well I certainly hope its effective because I don't quite like being woken to the smell of pooh... :mrgrn:

I mean, why does she come to my room to do it? Is it such a pigsty in here? :roll:

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
:lol: it never ends... only last week did Jake chew through the network cable to my main PC. it was my fault really, he needs a chewing toy to play with and i had left him inside for too long without one.

hint #1: find the staffy some chewing toys and reward her for using it. staffys are very much in tune with their owners temperament and respond very well to positive reinforcement. the vast majority of staffys are more motivated by affection than food so a pat and a rub is usually the most effective tool when used as a reward when trying to teach a staffy to do something.

as for pooping in a particular bedroom; in mature dogs it's often related to separation anxiety or the want for more attention (read affection) however i'm not sure if this can be applied to a 3 month a old staffys. is she toilet trained?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
FOUND THE IDEAL PETS...

Geese, malard ducks, Canadian geese, and a few that are mixes of the above.

We have a local pond, a very large pond. It's local residents are the above birds, plus a bunch of fish that eat the bread we toss in, if the fowl aren't around.

I walk to the pond almost every night, after buying 8 loafs of white bread.

We start tossing bread out, and usually the first arrivals are the mallards. Beautiful both male and female, who stay a little beyond arms length, or further.

Usually right behind them are very large geese. Some pure white with orange beaks. A couple in the classic grey and white mixes, and really big. I would say we have about 10 of these. They know use, and now when we come to feed them they get close enough so we can feed them by hand, and, on occassion, my girlfriend pets them. I have had a goose leave a large foot print on my shoe, and another poke me from behind, or, come very close to hitting my crotch in their quest for bread.

Lately, we have had two large groups of Canadian geese. My guess is at least 75 birds in each flock. Yesterday, watching both groups land, about 4 minutes apart, and watching them skim over the top of the water as they landed, was really spectacular. The pond must be about 4 football fields in area, and the entire surface was covered.

The canadian geese came over, and they are HUGE. Beautiful in black and grey. And, they will eat out of our hands now.

I've heard geese will attack people. While one or two might be laughed off, yesterday I felt quite overwhelmed by the numbers. We went through 8 loafs of bread as fast as we could break it up, or replace it from having 4-6 mouths ripping it out of your hands.

They make the perfect pets. While petting them is not a great idea, they still will chew on your fingers, and come quite close. The advantage is, you don't have to clean up after them, worry about feeding them all the time, and you don't have to worry about them waking up the neighbors, or anyone else in the area.

They would make a great watch dog, since they are both territorial, and very noisy.
No burglar would be unannounced if he came into the house with a goose around. Of course then you would have goose footprints, since they love swimming, and have wet feet all the time, and the occassional feather in the house.

I suspect cats might have their hands quite full with full grown geese.

Anyway, I really enjoy feeding them, and for a couple bucks, it's one of the truly satisfying, peace creating activities I can think of.

s