You HAVE to read this one -

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well, there isn't a WBAM in Chicago for one thing.

That story is a variation on a old story that used to be told about "The Dating Game" or "The Newlywed Game" game shows in the US.

Not that it isn't still funny.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Damn. I'm glad I didn't know that when I read it. Still would have been funny, but the way he told it, I could just hear the whole thing happening. I was in fits!

I could visualise it perfectly, especially the poor DJ.

Some years ago I used to do a computer show on local radio, and taking talkback we sure had some doozies - but that .... Hoolie Doolie! WTF would you say? I mean, put yourself in this guy's shoes. You're sitting there in the studio. You've got a live microphone sitting right there in front of you, and you can't leave dead air, and you just, just, just can't risk opening your mouth because the moment you do you are going to start laughting hysterically and uncontrollably, and you are supposed to be a cool, calm professional.

Basically, he just has to hope like hell that his producer has got it together to push some buttons for music.

What a shame it ain't true.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Is this true?
If yes, then it was indeed awesome... I wonder the face of Brian when he heard Sarah's answer...

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Tea said:
...You've got a live microphone sitting right there in front of you, and you can't leave dead air...

Well, that's the other part of it that doesn't ring true. Radio shows, on occasion, have people call in and curse. Howard Stern. Lex & Terry. Etc. While these types of shows are live, they do incorporate a short time delay into them so objectionable language can be beeped out. I belive it is done by FCC law.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Oh, but it does ring true. You see, the thing is, the delay requires a human to press the button and flick over to something else. Normally, you get a pretty fair idea what's coming: you can sense that a caller is about to get abusive and you are sitting there with your finger on the button. (Or, at least, the producer is. Usually these days there is no seperate producer, bar in the case of pure talk radio with no music, and the announcer himself has to push all the buttons.)

But with that particular conversation, you just wouldn't see it coming. By the time you got around to recovering your wits, it would be way too late.