Yay! I installed Fedora...now what?

ddrueding

Fixture
I've decided that it's past time for me to learn Linux. So I'm running VirtualPC 2004 and have Fedora installed with most of the workstation and client modules. So here I am...now what?

What tasks should I be learning to perform? Where should I look for instructions to perfor those tasks? Any and all help is appreciated.

Handruin

Administrator
First task, figure out how to upgrade firefox. I removed the included pre-release version and tried to download the released version but I was not able to launch the browser. I'm curious if you'll have the same issue. :)

I've learned a lot by trying to download source code for a popular application like apache or php. try compiling it and see where you get with it. I went through this pain of trying to piece together information from google. I'll gladly share what I've found if it's something you want to learn if you haven't done this already.

I'm sure someone here can point out the mistakes I've made and help us both learn. :)

Handruin

Administrator
Try downloading apache 2 source code.

You'll need GCC. Just type gcc and see what version it returns. Also try typing "make".

Code:
[root@losao189 root]# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.2 2.96-108.7.2)
[root@losao189 root]# make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
[root@losao189 root]# make -v
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i386-redhat-linux-gnu
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <bug-make@gnu.org>.

[root@losao189 root]#

That's an example from my VMware machine (which is not fedora). Next, try to follow the instructions from apache for compiling and making the application.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'd suggest the following:

1. Installing update packages with
a. rpm files
b. TGZ files
c. make (i.e. compiling from source)
2. Compiling and installing an updated kernel
3. Installing an configuring samba
4. Learning to function entirely from the console
5. Installing webmin
6. Installing and configuring apache for secure access
7. Installing and configuring a mail service with filtering (sendmail, qmail etc)
8. Configure a printer with CUPS and a scanner with SANE

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I installed slackware 10 (during the eagles game - I love Tivo) and was typing xf86Setup and xf86config and getting nothing. Then x, win, winx. Finally I found out it was startx. It worked. Silly me though went and ran xorgconfig to mess with stuff and now my X won't start. Apparently the params for my monitor aren't right or something.
I haven't got my nic to work... well it isn't plugged into anything right now... i'm using the USB WiFi network thingamabob. But I haven't got that to work either.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd do number 4 first. If X doesn't work, you might want to be able to fix it....

Mercutio

ddrueding said:
That's a hell of a list, Merc. Is that from your class? May take me a while...

Most of that is my class. The learning to cope with just the command line is the main thrust of the class though, and where I'd suggest you spend your time. Don't even install X. Or just interact with Linux through Putty. That will give you reason enough to learn the command line and how to customize it to your liking.

In the last 2 months I've installed 11 different linux distributions on six different computers. The only NICs I haven't had work were a Marvell Gigabit NIC and the Nforce integrated NIC. SuSE 9.2 handled the integration of the Nforce NIC very well though.

ddrueding

Fixture
The problem I'm having with the NIC is 100% VirtualPCs fault. It's not passing the MAC address to the virtual machine. Not a problem. Still playing.

Anyone have a link to a list of useful console commands?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Did you install the proprietary extensions?

I personally found that VirtualPC doesn't do much other than run Windows well. VMware does much better with Linux.

ddrueding

Fixture
sechs said:
Did you install the proprietary extensions?

I personally found that VirtualPC doesn't do much other than run Windows well. VMware does much better with Linux.

Installing anything is still beyond me. I was having issues with X, so I've decided to go directly to console...this is where I really need to start, anyway.

I'm just using the 45-day trial of VirtualPC (PowerPack expired :(), I don't have VMWare.

Mercutio

PM me.

I've found VPC useless for installing Linux. I'm not saying it can't be done just that I couldn't make a goddamned thing work properly.

VMware works much better for, oh, everything, but in this case there are three things that I am going to say.

1. You don't need to be messing with Linux through an emulator if you are so unfamiliar with Linux that you need to start a thread like this.
2. You don't need to be dual booting Linux on a PC - that will of course be your next impulse, so I am stopping it before it starts - if you are so unfamiliar with Linux that you need to start a thread like this.

David, this is what you need to do:

1. Obtain a copy of SuSE 9.2. It is so completely simple to install and manage that I am utterly certain you could do it with your nose, assuming that you were somehow rendered armless yet able to pick up the install DVD or 5 CDs with your teeth.
2. Take the crappy PC you have in the corner, and plug in ethernet and power. You know the one: KM266 or 400, or i815, 128 or 256MB of RAM, integrated video, sound and NIC, CPU past its third birthday, 20GB hard disk... and prepare to be amazed.
3. Use mouse and left nostril to click next a bunch of times.
4. Use YAST to configure the system for you.
5. Be amazed at display auto-detection (it's a soft spot for Linux, what can I say?). Marvel at the beauty of GNOME or the XP-like simplicity of KDE. Stare in wonder as an 800MHz CPU and a quarter the amount of RAM in your XP machine loads and runs Firefox at exactly the same speed. Feel the love as you realize that SuSE has already installed and configured a PDF reader, MP3 player, Flash, Java, an Office Suite, a CD/DVD burning app, and literally everything else you'd probably end up installing within an hour of building a new Windows PC.
6. From the safe habor of SuSE, branch out to do the other things on my list. Spend some quality time at runlevel 3.

Seriously, the things I am apt to use a Linux machine for:
1. Mail Server
2. File Server
3. Firewall/Proxy/VPN-end-point
4. LAMP applications

If you think of all the times you've sold someone an NT Server and an assload of Exchange CALs, remember that you could have put them in a Linux setup for FREE, charged four times your normal service rate and STILL handed them a lower bill.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Fabulous advice, Merc! Just what I needed to know, and very timely as well. You da man!

Mercutio said:
4. LAMP applications
Eh? What's that? Hi-tech controller for the lights in your home?

Mercutio

Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP.

phpBB is a perfect example of a LAMP application, but there are dozens if not hundreds on freshmeat.net

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Well after running some cable in my house to move the cable modem downstairs with the computer, I now have my nic hooked up via ethernet and firefox working in X. I also have an extra hole in my floor but that is another story.

Do I have to do anything special to get my USB flash drive to work?
I want to use it to transfer files to and from the machine.
But it isn't always hooked up.

ddrueding

Fixture
Considering it's been a year and a half since my last attempt, I've decided to have another go. Earlier this evening I accidently tore my workstation hard drive in half (I'd make Coug proud, don't ask). When I was considering re-installing windows the same night I was furious with them over their current WGA nonsense, I realised it was time to give Linux a real try. So; this is my primary workstation, and it has the latest Kubuntu installed directly onto it. No MS software, no safety net. I need to make this work for my business, and I need it to work tonight.

I was pleasantly pleased when it automatically had network, video, USB, disk burning, and even sound from my X-Plosion working on the first start-up. Now my goals are as follows:

1. Update everything
2. Install Firefox
3. Install a mail client
4. Migrate all the mail in my .PST file to something compatible
5. Find a media player thats as good as Winamp's Media Library
6. Install the neccesary stuff to play my music and XviD movies off the network

1. Completed
2. Next

I need help/suggestions on all the others...please?

ddrueding

Fixture
Progess:

1. Done
2. Done
3. Done
4. Minor googling- looks like it would be easiest to export from inside outlook into something standardized, then import. Put off til tomorrow.
5. New highest priority - It seems that the players included can't play media that's on a Samba share AND don't know how to handle XviD. Any suggestions? I'll be googling for a bit, then going to bed.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You can get Firefox from the same place where you updated everything. I'm not in front of a Kubuntu installation right now and I don't remember the path. Just use their apt-get system to install every software you want.

There's already a mail client included with the default Kubuntu installation. You can also install Evolution if you want (same place as Firefox).

Ask someone else for media players and stuff, that's not my field.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Unfair. He posted when I was composing my reply. Now I look like an idiot. Should I throw myself on the ground, crying like a little girl with a broken leg and ask for a yellow card like sucker players do? I mean soccer players...

ddrueding

Fixture
CougTek said:
Unfair. He posted when I was composing my reply. Now I look like an idiot. Should I throw myself on the ground, crying like a little girl with a broken leg and ask for a yellow card like sucker players do? I mean soccer players...

No, just tear a laptop drive in half with your bare hands ;)

theSwede

What is this storage?

Mercutio

You need to have a passwords assigned to the user account that you're using to connect to the share (on the windows side).

You may want to add entries in your hosts file to make the connections happen faster.

You need to disable the Firewall on the Linux side, or make holes for the relevant ports (137 - 139, TCP and UDP).

You may want to add the shares, if they are known, persistant shares, to /etc/fstab. Google for the syntax.

You may want to add appropriate Windows/Linux username/password mappings with the smbpasswd command.

ddrueding

Fixture
After trying to follow these directions and significant googling, here's where I think I am:

Mercutio said:
You need to have a passwords assigned to the user account that you're using to connect to the share (on the windows side).
A username and password that has permissions to the windows share? Check.

Mercutio said:
You may want to add entries in your hosts file to make the connections happen faster.
Check.

Mercutio said:
You need to disable the Firewall on the Linux side, or make holes for the relevant ports (137 - 139, TCP and UDP).
I've been all over this config and can't find a firewall. But I was able to browse to the share, so check, I think.

Mercutio said:
You may want to add the shares, if they are known, persistant shares, to /etc/fstab. Google for the syntax.
I think I have this set up correctly. Here's the line from my fstab:

Code:
//server/data	/home/david/Data	smbfs		user,username=david,password=password	0	0

Mercutio said:
You may want to add appropriate Windows/Linux username/password mappings with the smbpasswd command.
Help on this one? I've run smbpasswd, but considering the username/password for the linux user is the same as the share, it should already be the same, correct?

The error I'm recieving when I try to mount the share is:

Code:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //server/data,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so
Please check that the device is plugged correctly.

TIA

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, I booted to the cd and it seems I have indeed broken something. I can access the network fine from here, but still can't mount a network share locally. Other than that and finding a god media player, I think I'm pretty happy. Based on what I read in the thread linked to earlier, it might be that this build has issues doing what I want. I might be shopping around for a different distro. If anyone has suggestions on this, I would appreciate it.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Code:
dmesg | tail or so

Looks like smbfs is not installed. Is it?

If you're looking for another distro, I'll put in a plug for Debian. Stable is outdated so if you go that way, get testing/etch.

ddrueding

Fixture
RWIndiana said:
Code:
dmesg | tail or so

Looks like smbfs is not installed. Is it?

After doing a re-install of the whole thing then re-creating the line in fstab...no, it wasn't. So I installed it (these package managers rule) and I now get the following message:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (1000,1000)
smbmnt failed: 1

I can still access it via "network places" but it seems none of the applications are network-aware.

RWIndiana said:
If you're looking for another distro, I'll put in a plug for Debian. Stable is outdated so if you go that way, get testing/etch.

This one is actually kinda growing on me. Things I like:

Installs from a single CD
Automatic Live-CD
Install to disk from Live-CD
no config necessary for video, sound, mousewheel, burning, etc.
nice package manager (adept)

Those top four are really nice, and I think they'll be a must for any other distro I'll try. Considering I'm evaluating for production office enviroments as a workstation OS, Stable and reliable are primary.

ddrueding

Fixture
Here's where I'm at currently:

installed smbfs
created /mnt/server
added the following line to fstab:
//server/Data /mnt/server smbfs user,username=david,password=password 0 0
Did a suid thing to smbmnt
now I get the following error:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
cannot mount on /mnt/server: Operation not permitted
smbmnt failed: 1

??

ddrueding

Fixture
It seems that the user doing the mount has to be the owner of the directory where I'm trying to mount. Googling now for how to take ownership of a file :oops:

I'm not used to being a n00b.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, as it turns out, making the user the owner of a folder in /mnt/ is a pita.

Fine, I'll mount it to /home/david/server. That has the right permissions!

Code:
The file or folder /home/david/server does not exist.

but it does. Help?