Yamaha CD-R DiscT@2.

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
I own one of these new Yamaha CRW-F1 drives. It's a super nice drive. The Disc T@2 feature could be useful in some situations, but I can tell you for sure that it works better on the darker media than the lighter media (green or gold) -- with dark blue being a bit better than dark green.

Actually, I bought the CRW-F1 (ATA version, SCSI, FireWire, and USB also available) mostly for its Audio Master capability. Audio Master is a writing mode where the system burns extremely coherent glitch-free tracks with its ultra-spec laser and huge FIFO buffer. Its not-so-average laser system (laser, controller circuitry, and power supply) is in fact what enables it to pull off the laser tricks used to write out Disc T@2 images, where it burns with a larger-than-normal spot size.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Gary,

Strangely, the best quality CD-Rs (PhthaloCyanine dye) yield the poorest DiskT@2 results.

The best DiskT@2 results can be had using older (16X and slower) Verbatim CD-Rs that use Metal AZO dye. Newer Verbatim CD-Rs use what they call "Super AZO" dye which isn't nearly as good. Some research revealed that Yamaha's own branded DiskT@2 media is, in fact, Verbatim 16X disks, which are manufactured by Mitsubishi.

Verbatim Metal AZO 16X disks will be all gone in the near future since they now use the changed dye with their higher speed grade CD-Rs.
50-piece spindles of the Verbatim 16X disks can still be found at some retailers. Verbatim part number 94147

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=363584

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
ouch... $18 bucks before shipping is a bit high.. I'll stick to the 50 pack of taiyo yuden for $12(k-mart/best buy special) or the 50 pack Verbatim super AZO for under $20 locally

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
blakerwry said:
ouch... $18 bucks before shipping is a bit high.. I'll stick to the 50 pack of taiyo yuden for $12(k-mart/best buy special) or the 50 pack Verbatim super AZO for under $20 locally

48X TY's are what I use, myself. But that is for data. If a person wants to make decent looking diskt@2's the best media is as I described above. The older Verbatim metal AZO's might be found elsewhere, BTW.

Here is a comparison between a 32X Verbatim Super AZO disk (top), a 16X Verbatim Metal AZO disk (bottom), and a 48X Taiyo Yuden (side). The 16X disk is identical in color to the Diskt@2 media sold by Yamaha. The results from burning a Diskt@2 image is very noticable. The older, darker 16X disk gives much better contrast to the burned image.

disks.gif

J-Frog

What is this storage?
I'm back...

I'm going to get me one of these after I fix up my car...