XP 2500+

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Went to the markets (swap meet, fair) on the weekend. Picked up an XP 2500+ (I wanted the big cache) for AUS$160 (US$92).

Went home, ripped the 1900+ES out and bunged it into the 8RDA+

Installed Volcano 7+ on medium speed. Set multi to 12.5. Instant 2800+.

Ran all weekend with temps 8~9 deg. C lower than the TBred A 1900+

Hmm he says. Bump up bus speed to 172 from 166 on Monday morn after installing BIOS update and now running as 3000+

No voltage increase, just the Volcano 7+.

Sweet. My 8RDA+ doesn't like 200MHz operation (I'm using Corsair TwinX PC3200-LL), so it's mod time. Lap the NB heatsink, or maybe one of the Zalman - just have to find a place in Aus that has 'em) fan and then Vdd mod .

To be honest though, I can't "feel" much of a difference. Maybe when I load up Civ III in one of the big map games late in the game.

But so far, it has been too simple.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Unfortunately, I'm not convinced you need to worry about the northbridge cooler under 200MHz - I think there are other issues.

But if you need one, I'll send you one - I still have 3 left here ...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Thanks Time, how much do you want for them & how can I get payment to you?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
BTW I have been following the thread with you & e-dawg (I think), and I believe you are probably right.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
The Volcano 7+ is a very effective cooler... I run mine on low and I still get decent cooling out of it. Beats the overhyped Zalman any day of the week.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
For a company that has made so many lemons (the 'Orb' range), Thermaltake has come up with some real bargains:

Volcano 6 - even though the 6+ version used a stupid, loud fan that didn't appreciably help cooling.

Volcano 7 - once you threw away the noisy 'thermally controlled' fan and used something reasonable like a Panaflo.

Volcano 7+ - I always thought this was overpriced. Speed control is good, but I believe a quieter fan is even better. See Volcano 7.

Volcano 9 - even better cooling than the Falcon Rock II (albeit heavier). If I wasn't happy with the Spire, I'd be interested in trying different fans on a Volcano 9 - has anyone else tried, or just not bothered because of the speed controller?

Incidentally, I wish I could still get the Volcano 6. Where does AMD get off shipping straight aluminium coolers, when their own specs state that a copper insert is almost mandatory? The Volcano 6 would surely out-perform any of the current AMD boxed coolers.

I've even seen a sign at a wholesaler that states they won't accept faulty CPU claims, unless you can also provide the boxed cooler, with evidence of its original transfer pad on both the CPU and heatsink!

I don't believe official AMD policy is quite that draconian - I imagine it's just the stupidity of this particular supplier. :-?

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
time said:
For a company that has made so many lemons (the 'Orb' range), Thermaltake has come up with some real bargains:

Volcano 6 - even though the 6+ version used a stupid, loud fan that didn't appreciably help cooling.

Volcano 7 - once you threw away the noisy 'thermally controlled' fan and used something reasonable like a Panaflo.

Volcano 7+ - I always thought this was overpriced. Speed control is good, but I believe a quieter fan is even better. See Volcano 7.

Volcano 9 - even better cooling than the Falcon Rock II (albeit heavier). If I wasn't happy with the Spire, I'd be interested in trying different fans on a Volcano 9 - has anyone else tried, or just not bothered because of the speed controller?

The Subzero4G - A $129.99 POS that doesn't even cool an Athlon XP as well as a Thermalright SLK800.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Not true. I pestered the guy I talked to about AMD's warranty during my single retail-chip RMA experience.

When you RMA a retail chip to AMD, you talk to a human being. The AMD employee asks some interesting, leading questions to find out what you know about computers and processors.and then basically makes a judgement over an RMA and its conditions. I told my guy, truthfully, that I was not using the stock cooler on my failed chip, that I was using a Spire BigRock with artic silver. He asked me about its application procedure, how I removed the thermal pad etc. I told him.
I only had to send back my chip. Not the fan.

Vlad The Impaler

Learning Storage Performance
Blimey! Compare that to Intel.

I phone them up with an SL code, and they send me an advance replacement CPU by courier the next day. You send them the CPU at their expense, job done. I have sent them CPUs with missing pins, chipped cores etc, and not a peep out of them; - but then again I suppose they can afford to be that nice with what they charge.....