WTF? Who maks good big CRTs now?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Mitsubishi are no longer making CRT screens.

(sob)

WTF am I going to do for a good CRT now that there are no more Mitsubishi Professionals?

Sure, I love a quality TFT - Tannin and I have been TFT fans since the days of our beautiful little 12 inch LCD-PC - but for photographic work you need a CRT. TFT just doesn't cut it for things where you need an accurate colour balance.

Ideas?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Fight the power.

Get a projector.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Tea said:
TFT just doesn't cut it for things where you need an accurate colour balance.

Ideas?
You could mortgage the house and buy one of these. In fact, I suppose you could get away with selling the car if it was relatively new ;).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Mortgage the house! The Eizo ColorEdge CG220 is only about $6.7k street price in the U.S.

Tea, Mitsu's web site still shows three 22" CRTs, including a high-end that supports 97.5% of Adobe's color space (street price ~$4.5k). Can you please point me to the source of this news that they're getting out of CRTs?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
A wholesaler. A good one. She rarely makes mistakes - but I certainly hope that she is wrong this time. She said her supplier told here that Mitsubishi were not making any more big CRTs (their little ones, at least in this market, have long since been farmed out to Acer and just badge-engineered) because the market demand didn't justify it.

I really hope she's wrong.

But even if Mitsubishi do replace the Diamond Pro series, it will probably take them months - last time it was close on six months between models. So we need a replacement.

Ideas, please gentlemen.

(Ahem.... Gilbo, those are a little too expensive for me.)

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
One of these:

combined with one of these:

may meet your colour needs and available for at least 12 months yet at around the $1600-1700 mark total.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Thanks Jake.

That's around $500 to $600 more than the Mitsubishi for the same picture tube.

Of course, you are including the callibration device, which isn't strictly needed for my uses but would certainly be more than useful. How much is that on its own?

And, seeing as it uses the same tube, can we actually get hold of them? Or have Mitsubishi shut down the tube-making plant?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Buy all the stock you can. Then sell it for double the current price to anyone who needs one badly enough.

The other option, switching to Turditron, makes one shudder.

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
Tea said:
..WTF am I going to do for a good CRT now that there are no more Mitsubishi Professionals?

Not true. The "name" changed, that's all.

What were Mitsubishi monitors, became NEC/Mitsubishi monitors (in some parts of the world), then became NEC/Mitsubishi monitors in the rest of the world, then, back in December of last year, became just NEC monitors.

NEC/Mitsubishi was a joint venture for a while, then it became a stand-alone corporation. Recently, NEC bought NEC/Mitsubishi. Confusing? Yes. Ask for an NEC 2070SB (not a Mitsi) if you want the 22-inch CRT monitor.

By the way, that LaCie monitor is a *complete* Mitsi (NEC/Mitsubishi) monitor made with a custom blue plastic shell there at the factory in Japan where the rest of the Mitsi monitors have been made with the LaCie name silkscreened on the front -- not just the CRT. The same goes for several other monitors that are OEM'd by NEC/Mitsubishi, such as some Compaq, SGI, Barco, just to name a few. A few of these -- such as the Barco -- go off to be modified or retrofitted with something or another at their own facilities.

mangyDOG

Hi Tea,

apparently Westan have 20 of the 19" Mitsubishi monitors in Perth (don't ask me why they are there) however they wanted $50 (each) to bring them back to Melbourne.

I have just got one of the LG 19" T910B monitors in to try out so I'll let you know what I think. As for the beautiful 22" version, I have not seen anything that even comes close. I can only hope that one of the companies will recognise that there is a market for big high end CRT monitors.

cheers,
mangyDOG

mangyDOG

Tried the 19" LG T910B Flatron monitor over the weekend. No where near as good as the Mitsubishi 22" (big surprise there), and not quite as good as the 19" version, but much cheaper. My feeling is it is OK for graphics and CAD but certainly not as good as the Mitsubishi, so we still need to find a replacement for those that want the best of the best in CRT monitors. The LG monitor does make a very good option for people wanting a big, bright, sharp CRT for gaming.

Cheers,
mangyDOG

Splash

The 22-incher Mitsubishi ---> NEC/Mitsubishi ---> NEC monitors are very much available in the USA.

Like I mentioned earlier, I suspect that the Australian channel for NEC/Mitsubishi is simply undergoing a product purge to allow the NEC-labeled product to replace it, as it did here about 3 months ago. Same monitor -- different name silkscreened on the bezel.