WTF is Hyper-V?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I decided to install a virtualization software on my Server 2008 box this evening. I found out that Server 2008 isn't part of the supported operating systems listed for MS Virtual Server 2005 R2. For Server 2008, M$ has something called Hyper-V. It's a huge download (1.1GB) and it's a .iso, not an executable. I read some pages about it on Macrosoft (they make too much bloatware to deserve to be called Microsoft anymore). The features are lengthily described, but the way to use it isn't.

Anyone used that before? I hope it's an add-on to already install operating system and not something you must install first and add OSes afterward, like Citrix Server or ESXi. I don't want to re-install the main OS on that box just yet.

And why is it an iso? If it's an add-on like what believe it is, why not make it an executable?

Anyway, I won't find out tonight because I'm short of DVD media to burn the iso.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've not wanted or needed to use it, but it is an addon to Server 2008 that has a lengthy, separate install process. When it's done, you will be able to manage Microsoft's native virtual machines and also IIRC VMWare guest images.

You can probably open that ISO with whatever you have handy for that purpose (Daemon Tools or WinRAR or whatever) and copy the files to a more useful location.

I don't know why it's an ISO either; I don't recall having to download anything to install it; pretty sure I just loaded off it off the original DVD.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I use Hyper-V for folding (the beta version). I actually like it because it did what I needed done and It is very easy to setup and use.

The documentions sucks. The number of client OS's officially supported is very limited. Performance of the clients seems good and stable but I would wish for much better control over the host which is dragged down, performance wise. I really like that the task manager does not count the client sessions in its calculations.

A version comes with the CD (just add the Hyper-V roll). The version you DL is more recent.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
The Hyper-V hypervisor and software package will all be rolled into the next major release of Windows Server: Windows Server 2008 /R2 -- which should be available 10 to 12 months from now, or November / December 2009.

By the way, Windows Server 2008 /R2 will only be released as a 64-bit product as will every MS Server operating system from then on.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I did not download the right thing. Apparently, there's a stand-alone product called Hyper-V Server and also Hyper-V FOR Server 2008. Of course, I downloaded the first. I burn the .iso to a DVD and installed the thing. It didn't want to update my Server 2008 installation, only wanted to perform a fresh install. It never asked for a license and went all through the installation process. After the last reboot, I've been greated with a logon screen asking me to enter a new username and a password. After that, a DOS-era blue window with 13 options, the last one exiting the window and sending you to the command line.

That's it. A (free) 64 bit glorified DOS operating system without any documentation. Mercutio would love it. Fortunately, I managed to install Firefox on this thing and I'm now typing from this, in a 640x480 16 bit colors window. Progress is a wonderful thing, isn't it? I'll try to find how to create a pocket in which I'll be able to install a usable operating system. I hope to find out how in their faq page. I still haven't read it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
A few hours after my last post, I finally realized that Hyper-V is already part of Server 2008 and that I only needed to add a role to the server to enable it. But now, I have a problem. When I create a new virtual machine, even if I choose to add network support via an additional LAN adapter in my computer, I never have network access within the VM. The LAN peripheral (a D-Link DFE-538TX in this case), is never detected. It simply isn't there. Under Linux as well as under Windows XP (inside VMs).

Network access outside VM works fine.

I don't know what I do wrong.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
VMware just makes a virtual NIC on your existing PC and bridges it to the emulated one. I would be surprised if you couldn't do the same with Microsoft's version.