World Trade Center photos

Handruin

Administrator
For those interested at some close-up WTC photos I have a link for you:

http://www.phonon.net/wtc/

My boss at work found these through a company who makes software for retrieving data from smart media. The basics of the story go like this:
This guy was taking photos in (I believe) a restricted, or non-photo area and was caught. The law enforcement people made him format his digital camera, and on the flip side he was able to recover his photo's using this software (the name of this software escapes me right now).

I hope you like!

-Doug

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Those pictures were rather haunting, and brought back a few things, to say the least. I have 3000+ photos relating to the WTC from various sources, but most are low resolution and don't convey the sheer horror of it like those pictures do. I'm probably one of the few at SF or SR who has seen that mess in person(several times, the first being about 2 weeks after) and NO picture can do it justice, but those come close. I remember the first time I went down. I couldn't get closer than two blocks, but even from that distance, the sheer scale of it was evident. I passed by stores full of dust, and the buildings for blocks around were coated in dust and soot up to 20 or 25 stories high. It was like a scene straight out of a disaster film or war movie, and there was also a strong stench which was a combination of burning objects and decaying flesh-something that definitiely cannot be conveyed in pictures.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I understand you... photos can't include peripheral imaging beyond the visual tunnel, neither smells, nore feelings that arise by the "disaster aura"...

I felt strange seeing these photos myself, even as a foreigner. I was in these two towers both day and night, passing throught that bridge that connects the Millennium Hotel to the WTC less than a month before the disaster... I remember I was touching the walls of the WTC towers and commenting with my father the magnificent advancement of civil engineering in the form of that amazing superconstruction.

Jeeze, looking back to these photos is surely disturbing... :cry:

I have faith though... they'll build something better from those rubbles! :)