WMA to MP3

ddrueding

Fixture
Helping a friend who has a boatload of WMA files from iTunes and a non-WMA capable MP3 player. Looking for a way to convert all of them, preserving the structure and the metadata.

This one will do the data conversion, but one folder at a time and without metadata.

Thanks in advance....

Stereodude

Not really a
Foobar2k will do it with the exception of album art. Your other option (pay) is DBpoweramp Music Converter. It will keep album art.

iTunes doesn't make WMA files though so something seems a bit off with your story.

ddrueding

Fixture
Allow me to complicate the story.

He had a computer, he also had a wife. He no longer has a wife, and he only had 45 minutes of access to the computer.

He did use iTunes (though the account was hers), and many of the songs were purchased from there. I've managed to talk him out of going that way again, but he doesn't want to lose any of his music. I've found .mp3 and .wma files so far, but I haven't gone through all the hundreds of folders yet.

I just want to make sure that everything will play on anything. The only sure thing I know of is MP3.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, since the iTunes tracks are DRM infested even if he copied 'em he won't be able to use 'em since they're locked to the account on the other PC (I think that's how it works). They're also aac files (not sure of the extension).

I wouldn't recommend transcoding from one lossy format to another. It's a bad idea. Most new units (excluding iPods) will play mp3, aac, and wma.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
It has been a while, but I believe I used NCH free version to convert iTunes to MP3.
It also does batch files.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It seems rather iffy to me. Which half has the rights to the files?

ddrueding

Fixture
Format Factory worked flawlessly. Clicked the "all to MP3" button, pointed at the root, and checked the "process tree" box. Overnight it handled the whole thing, cleanly erroring on the non-music files and continuing with the good ones.