Wireless SuperG PCI NICs

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'm running a Netgear WLAN router at home and, along with the wife's PC upgrade, just decided to spend even more $ and up her wireless from a USB thumb 802.11b NIC to a PCI 802.11g w/108Mbps capability since my router supports it.

In addition to better speed for file & printer sharing, I'll be able to enable WPA vs. WEP and strap the router to 108Mb only. This should slightly tighten security a little more since there aren't that many 108 cards out there at the moment.

Add to that MAC filtering and no SSID broadcast and, while not as good as a VPN solution, I could consider my WLAN secure enough for my needs.

So, as I mentioned I'm using Netgear stuff right now. I'm eying two PCI WLAN NICs: WAG311 and the WG311T. The price is only about $2 apart. The WAG has a cabled antenna vs. the WG's fixed-mount. I'm leaning towards the WAG.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share on these guys? My other Netgear stuff has been flawless so far.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'd strongly suggest looking at an External USB2 device rather than a PCI card for desktop WLAN needs. Reception tends to be substantially better.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc said:
I'd strongly suggest looking at an External USB2 device rather than a PCI card for desktop WLAN needs. Reception tends to be substantially better.
I always wondered about that - with the PCI card constrained to a specific location, usually at the bottom, facing a wall, with a large metal chassis in front of it.

Mercutio

And utterly surrounded by EMI.

Usually the USB guys are at least one "bump" better in terms of reception quality.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Netgear doesn't offer a SuperG USB adapter at the moment. At least not that I found. The WAG I linked to uses a cabled antenna so the antenna placement can be a few feet from the system chassis (and closer to the router).

I'll check the store displays and see if there's anything from other manufacturers.

Thanks.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've always been confused by wireless in desktop computers. Since they don't move around, they can use wires.

Ethernet, HomePlug, and HPNA do, in fact work.

Mercutio

HomePNA and Homeplug are expensive and slow. 1 - 10Mbit is just not very appealing.
($150 for a Homeplug bridge, plus $80 per NIC, IIRC).

And you don't always have a phone jack where you need one. There are only three in my house.

And neither are well-supported outside Windows.

And ethenet cabling isn't always a possibility, either. I have a machine on an exterior wall in a room with a concrete slab floor and a cathedral ceiling. Where would I run the cables for that?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Although USB NICs are nice because they offer placement flexibility, you can also purchase PCI NICs with long antennas that allow for the same flexibility. Such as this or this this.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have the WG311T and the antenna is detachable. In fact it comes in the box detached. The antenna also has a "hinge" and rotates 360 degrees for adjustment. I have no problem hitting 108 at ~75% signal strength through two walls (one being the floor) to my Netgear router which I menationed in another thread but is basicly the new version of yours.
The router is in the utility room with the HVAC fan washer dryer and water heater.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Where would I run the cables for that?

In the wall, comes to mind, but on the floor, on the wall, and on the ceiling are all quite possible. Perhaps better placement of the computer is the issue.

Going with wireless because it is "sexy" is, really, a pretty unintelligent reason.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Thanks, Howell. I may order the WAG version since it's antenna is already cabled as Buck was mentioning.

I don't do wireless because it's sexy; it isn't. It's a horrible way to do connect machines for several reasons including security, signal interference, etc. But it gives me the flexibility to use my laptop anywhere in the house or in the yard. As for my wife's desktop, it's the easiest and cheapest way to make the connection. Running cable would cost too much in both time and money and we'd still lack the flexibility to relocate it to another room in the future (w/o running more cable).

I'm hoping the price of WAPs with VPN concentrators comes down enough eventually so I can architect something secure.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
1. Note that you don't need Super G products to get WPA-PSK. The exception was Netgear's standard PCI 802.11g adaptor, the WG311v2. They finally released WPA-SPK support for this two days ago:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=770

The complete Netgear WPA-PSK support list is here.

2. The WAG311 only provides "108Mbps" operation with "Turbo" mode in 802.11a. AFAIK, Super G is exclusive to Atheros chipsets - which Netgear router do you have, exactly?

3. While you would expect an antenna on the end of a cable to be better, the fact is that the best performing cards seem to use close-coupled antennae. As Howell points out, you can attach a cable to any Netgear card if necessary - it's just that Netgear can't support it due to RFI compliance.

Having said that, if the PC is on the ground with the front facing the access point through several brick walls, a relocatable antenna might be useful. :)

But all indications are that if you do have reception problems, your best bet is to get a card with an Atheros Super G chipset, eg WG511T. Apart from anything else, I have heard that these can use double the power - equivalent to adding at least a 5dBi antenna to the access point.

But why are you worried about reception anyway? Does your building have unusual construction?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I've got the WGT624 but may sell that to someone in favor of the 634U as I like the USB-drive-as-NAS concept it adds.

Another reason for the cabled antenna is to eliminate physical interference with other cables, etc. plugged in the back of the machine. The PC faces the router so technically any signal would pass through or around the PC on it's way to the router.

The straight-line distance is only 30 or so feet and goes through 2 walls and sort of goes through a floor. Sort of because it's also crossing a stairwell but I think the straightest line will pass through the floor. Standard wood frame contruction. On the 802.11b D-link USB thumb adapter in use now, signal strength is around 74-84%.

I want SuperG to improve speed for file/printer sharing and to be able to lock the router in 108Mb-only mode to keep the average b/g person off my WLAN. I have the WG511T in my notebook.

I want to move to WPA but the aforementioned USB thumb doesn't support it. So if I have to buy a new adapter, it may as well do everything.

Interesting catch on the 108 mode of the WAG being .11a mode only, but their data sheet says "* 802.11a turbo mode is not available in Europe. 802.11g turbo mode available worldwide via a free driver upgrade in late 2003." That driver has been released as beta.

Anyway, Time, I think you've convinced me to try the WG311T over the WAG. If I have signal strength issues I'll check into extending the antenna.

Now for the hardest TLA to overcome: the WAF.