question Windows search, SSDs, and Outlook

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey Gang,
I recently installed a Samsung 830, along with Office 2010 which I use extensively for work. Per the Samsung utility, I disabled Windows Search, which seems to have disabled search in Outlook as well. While I was expecting searching in Outlook to be slower, I wasn't expecting it to be nearly non-functional. Do you guys understand the rationale for disabling Windows Search with an SSD? Is it horrible to turn it back on?

Thanks,
Adcadet

ddrueding

Fixture
I would have to assume it is related to additional traffic on the disk from the indexing. I would turn it back on and not worry about it.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Is there any real reason to use Windows Search? I've been using Everything for some time, and don't miss the built-in option.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
In windows XP, you can pair down windows search indexes to just the outlook archives if you want. I haven't tried to do it in windows 7 and I'm using an SSD.

Searching in windows 7 is different to begin with. I haven't tried to use it too much yet. But one of these days I'm going to have to make sure it allows me to search within my code files. Or install cygwin and use find/grep.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That should be as easy as adding your code file type to the indexing options. That's one of those things that sounds like it should be a major PITA but is actually really easy to do.

Handruin

Administrator
Is there any real reason to use Windows Search? I've been using Everything for some time, and don't miss the built-in option.

It works, and it's built into Windows 7 by default for files and Outlook. What makes Everything a better option?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It's lightweight and uses the NTFS metadata to search, rather than indexing. It's what Windows Search should be.