Windows 7 SP 1 is out

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I haven't kept up with the news on it. Does it bring any new features or is it just all the fixes together?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It basically just rolls up the first sixty Windows updates. Nothing too exciting, but it's handy for the builders and integrators.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Worked on 7 Ultimate 32 bit, then two new updates after install. I'm currently running system restore, because the 64 bit version stalled at 70%, and after a half hour, I shut it down.

It then went into a loop, saying it was restoring windows, starting, shutting down, restoring, about 5 times. Now, I'm hoping system restore works. This is typed on my server.

I had a bad feeling about installing this service pack on first release. I should know better.

First system restore just failed. Wonder if I can fix it from disk?

Mercutio

Note to Santilli: They've been testing this for a year. Seriously. This is by no means an untested product. I've had SP1 release candidates on one of my Thinkpads since June.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That's comforting.
I'm sitting here trying to reinstall windows on the beast, with varying success.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
2 hours away. If this install goes down, certain items have to be reinstalled....and I don't have the originals.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Geeze, man. Get yourself Acronis and backup the C: partition somewhere else, another drive and even on a flash drive.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Just installed SP1 on 2008 R2 via automatic updates. Checked on the server 1/2 hour later... RDP is dead, console shows 'shutting down services'... waited 1/2 hour... still 'shutting down services'.

Thankfully, upon reboot the system proceeded to finish the SP1 installation and appears to be working...

ddrueding

Fixture
So far done 5 machines. 2 were flawless, one disabled the add-on video card and went back to the onboard, one can no longer access terminal servers that aren't on it's own subnet, and one went into a BSOD cycle (safe mode too).

It seems to be a bit fussy.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I have a machine that steadfastly refuses to even download the update. It stops at 15% of the download (no more network activity) then just stops till an unknown error eventually pops up (after about 30-45 minutes of just sitting there). I'm tempted to DL the service pack and burn it onto a DVD just for this one machine but I hesitate. The system seems to work fine without it and I remind myself that one should not fix that which isn't broken.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
On the five machines I've installed the SP1, none had any problem completing the installation.

What the hell is wrong with you!

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
What the hell is wrong with you!

Dunno. Just installed SP1 on my home desktop (Win7 Home Premium 64bit) and had no issues. This box has had a ton of crap installed since I set it up ~6 months ago.

The server (Win2008 R2) that I had trouble on was a new install (week or two old) that had only Notepadd++ and DOSBox installed and was configured for terminal services(+ licensing). No video drivers, printers, sound, etc.

ddrueding

Fixture
For the record, none of my machines have had any issues. The common denominator seems to be that the machines that broke had previously had infections of some kind.

LunarMist

For the record, none of my machines have had any issues. The common denominator seems to be that the machines that broke had previously had infections of some kind.

Yikes. Don't you have to rebuild or restore a complete image after a virus is reported?

ddrueding

Fixture
Company computers, yes. Personal computers, no. They can't afford to have me do it every time, and aren't able to themselves.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Hmm, my desktop failed with "WindowsUpdate_80073712" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

I guess I get to see what this system readiness upgrade tool can do. I suspect I may just do without.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I just did a fresh install of Win7 Home premium 64 on an unformatted, new HDD.

Attempted to update before doing anything else and found windows update wanted to give me 70+ updates before offering SP1. After a couple of rounds of updates, I attempted to download SP1 manually and was scarred off by the hefty requirements (900MB download, 4GB+ install size). I figured I didn't have many single updates left and went ahead and just kept going for the windows updates.

When SP1 was finally offered, I attempted to install it, and it failed several times before it succeeded. The first time, I assumed that the laptop went to sleep during install, so I set the power mode to performance... retry... failed - unknown error. Tried again... came back an hour later... failed - unknown error. Checked if I had previous updates that required a reboot... nope... open apps... nope... restarted anyway and retried... I think it finally succeeded this time.

My opinion is that the SP1 installer has some problems, even if the updates themselves do not.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I never got it installed on my desktop but i didnt try past the first failure and that tool with the huge download that did nothing.

I really do need to look into IE9 for work though.

Stereodude

Not really a
So, apparently there's no officially supported method of slipstreaming Win 7 SP1 into the Windows 7 install DVD. So, I'm forced to visit the bay where the buccaneers hang out to download a reportedly unmolested SP1 .ISO. After I confirm with the SH1 that it hasn't been molested, I can turn that ISO into the version I want.

What a pain... :tdown:

Mercutio

I admit that I haven't tested it, but it's pretty easy to roll things up using the Server 2008 automated install toolkit.

LunarMist

Why do you need to jetstream the SP1? It sounds like a lame excuse I used to hear in court back in the olden days.

Stereodude

Not really a
Why do you need to jetstream the SP1? It sounds like a lame excuse I used to hear in court back in the olden days.
:scratch: What... :scratch:

I tell you what... I'm going to make some assumptions about what I think you meant and respond to that. :cool:

I'm going to install clean install Windows 7 x64 on a system. Judging from the not so effervescent feedback I've seen in this thread from experienced users who have installed SP1 why would I want to mess with adding SP1 later instead of having it already taken care of out of gate? :smack:

ddrueding

Fixture
Lunar,

Another reason to slipstream as many updates as possible is the dreaded <> folder, which stores all the old versions of DLLs and other crap from before updates. The only completely safe way to reduce the size of this folder is to do an install with all the updates already in it. Also, if you are going to do repeated installs, not having to do all the updates every time is quite a time saver.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I would love to buy an updated disk from microsoft with SP1 on it, that isn't available either?

Stereodude

Not really a
I would love to buy an updated disk from microsoft with SP1 on it, that isn't available either?
I was able to get unmolested SP1 x64 & x86 ISO's for Windows 7 Home Premium (Retail) from the Bay (confirmed by the SHA1 hash). They can then be turned into any of the other retail flavors with the some modification with the utility I linked to earler (also confirmed by matching SHA1 hashes).

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I have an office full of win7 machines and after this experience will probably be phasing the install over a couple week period.

Since Windows updates is now pushing SP1, I now have a bunch of machines that are failing to install SP1 automatically.

if I log on as administrator, i can install SP1 manually and it has gone fine on the machines that I've tried. No idea why the automatic update fails.

As you guys mentioned, slipstraming SPs into Vista and 7 is even more important and handy than with XP due to the winsxs folder. Which on my installs, is twice the size of everything else on the disk combined (7-10GB). I have very few applications installed, so this is primarily due to Microsoft's own updates.

I have no idea why MS thought that it would be good to break slipstreaming. But it will probably require me to spend a few extra days every year creating new images from scratch, where XP only required a few updates and maybe CCcleaner to clear out old files.