Windows 2000 SP4

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Will Rickards WT said:
Well that list is sufficiently long for me to start downloading it.
But I wondered if it addressed any particularly annoying bugs or storage related issues (SCSI write problem?)
Interesting to me is the sheer number of security fixes.

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
I was going to let the cat out of the bag last week by posting a message about the upcoming Windows 2000 / SP-4, by saying something snide like:

"As long as you haven't had any accidents with a table saw, look at both hands and count yer fingers. This is about how many weeks you *might* have to wait before Win2K / SP-4 is finally released."

On the other hand (pun intended), the wait for WinXP / SP-2 will be a long one, apparently. Still, WinXP /SP-2 should be out in 2003 -- it's just that it will be *months* before that happens.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
honold said:
the vendors can make their own...

I vastly prefer MS drivers for things that are included on the motherboard (or atleast inclusion of the vendor's drivers into windows). There should be no reason to have to install a driver for your USB, IDE, Chipset, etc.

I think Tannin probably thinks the same as me on this issue. For basic functionality the MS drivers are great... just plug something in and it works like it should. No fuss.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Not always true, Blake. Windows 2000 (no SP or SP1?) and Vanta cards, for example.

They're certainly more conservative (meaning older), but that's not always a good thing with newer hardware. No alarms in device manager doesn't mean it's working properly, or in the case of Vanta, that Windows will continue to boot. :p

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Cooling & mini-ITX

For the non-EPIA mini-ITX machine, how the heck is cooling handled? There can't be a full-size fan in those things, right?

I notice today that there are mini-ITX systems from shuttle that support real desktop chipsets, which means real-desktop CPUs and therefore real desktop heat.

Anyone know anything about it?

.Nut

Tea said:
Does it fix the ridiculous lack of USB 2 drivers?

All USB-Related Fixes:
  • 313600 An Error Occurs in Usbhub.sys If It Is Used as a Composite Driver Base operating system

320877 One-Hour Delay Occurs During Startup with a USB Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse Base operating system

328036 Removing USB Hub Causes STOP 0x0000001E Base operating system

811011 USB Storage Device Is Not Recognized After the Computer Resumes from Hibernation Base operating system

811421 Stratus ftServer-Based Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) After a Surprise Removal of OpenHCI USB Host Controller Base operating system

813313 Whip Larry Ellison With A USB 1.1 Cable 50 Times Base operating system

814484 FIX: Cannot Resume from Hibernation When Devices That Are Behind a USB 2.0 Hub Are Removed Base operating system

815834 Code 28 Error Message and a Yellow Exclamation Mark Next to a USB Device in Device Manager After Your Computer Resumes from Hibernation Base operating system

329184 This Device Cannot Start (Code 10) Error Message When You Remove Your USB Hub Management / Admin

320549 Scan Function May Not Work On USB Multifunction Printers Other

814958 USB Keyboard and Mouse Devices Do Not Work Correctly If You Reconnect Them While Windows Is Running Other

331961 Data That Is Not Valid Is Copied from a USB Floppy Disk Drive If the PAE Option Is Used Printing

313600 An Error Occurs in Usbhub.sys If It Is Used as a Composite Driver Base operating system

320877 One-Hour Delay Occurs During Startup with a USB Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse Base operating system

328036 Removing USB Hub Causes STOP 0x0000001E Base operating system

811011 USB Storage Device Is Not Recognized After the Computer Resumes from Hibernation Base operating system

811421 Stratus ftServer-Based Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) After a Surprise Removal of OpenHCI USB Host Controller Base operating system

814484 FIX: Cannot Resume from Hibernation When Devices That Are Behind a USB 2.0 Hub Are Removed Base operating system

815834 Code 28 Error Message and a Yellow Exclamation Mark Next to a USB Device in Device Manager After Your Computer Resumes from Hibernation Base operating system

329184 This Device Cannot Start (Code 10) Error Message When You Remove Your USB Hub Management / Admin

320549 Scan Function May Not Work On USB Multifunction Printers Other

814958 USB Keyboard and Mouse Devices Do Not Work Correctly If You Reconnect Them While Windows Is Running Other

331961 Data That Is Not Valid Is Copied from a USB Floppy Disk Drive If the PAE Option Is Used Printing

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The JoJo said:
Has someone had any problems installing this?
I downloaded it but won't install it for a few weeks until it's had time to sit in the market. I prefer to let others find the first round of bugs for me.

- Fushigi

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
On a whim, I installed it the morning that it came out. Absolutely no issues that I've noticed. I haven't run the system through it's complete paces yet, but nothing glaring.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Since I'm not running Win2K I didn't actually install SP4.

I made a bootable Win2K + SP4 slipstream to update my OS archive and that was that.

GMac

Went on my system smooth as you like :D The USB 2.0 controller on my Epox 8RDA+ mobo is now correctly identified, so that's one annoyance fixed (just need a USB 2.0 device to test it now :wink: ), and everything else seems to be working just fine so far.

GM

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I read it, but all that Windows stuff is too confusing for a non-computer person. About all I can gather is that the file linked above contains the full SP4. I don't know what that has to do with networking. Anyway, 130MB is too much for my connection (36K today). Maybe Julie could download it onto CD for me and I could install it on my primary computer which is not connected to the internet.

honold

Storage is cool
The Express installation can be significantly faster to download than the Network installation. The Express installation detects the service pack files that are already installed on your computer. It then installs only those files that need to be updated. You must stay connected to the Internet during the installation.

the network installation contains all the files, whether you need them or not

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
honold said:
The Express installation can be significantly faster to download than the Network installation.

the network installation contains all the files, whether you need them or not

If you like integrating service packs with your OS disks (slipstreaming) you need the network install.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
D'oh! That reminds me. I have to slipstream SP4 into a whole new set of W2k CD's. Unfortunately, I forgot how to do it, so I have to muck around to find the instructions and read it before I do the deed :(