Windows 10

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Being the Luddite that I am, I've disabled most things in W10. So thankfully haven't encountered this problem. Of course I haven't used W10 as much as you.

Does application software (not hw device drivers) that works in W7-64 work in W10-64?

BTW, first time ever that I'm browsing & posting from my phone!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's very common - and in fact I talk about it someplace near the beginning of this thread because it became a problem for me during the beta period - to find Windows 10 machines that can't run some or any Modern Style apps. This can also result in Windows Search breaking, the Start Menu refusing to open or even the Settings app refusing to open.

How common is it? If I had to guess, I've probably seen it 50 or 60 times now. Sometimes more than once on the same PC.

The easiest fix, which does not always work, is to use an Administrative Powershell session (bring up task manager, New Task, Powershell, tick the box for "run as admin") to run this command:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

I've done that enough that I type it from memory.

Now, I've also found variations on that where there have somehow been changes to the file or registry ACLs that prevent that fix from working. Which is even more fun. You can say "But not one uses the modern Apps in the first place!" and you'd basically be right. Except that people DO use Start, Search and Settings and some people really like the Weather, News and Photos apps. I even know a few weirdos who actually like the Mail and Calendar.

It's a common problem. No one else has seen it?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
An anomaly in the space-time continuum.

Dual boot is not all hunky-dory. If I boot into W10 and shut down - power-off, the boot menu does not show up on power-on; machine goes straight into W10. If I needed W7, I have to restart W10 to see the boot menu.

What could be wrong?

In Easy BCD Edit, Win 7 is is shown as Drive C:\, W10 is shown as \Device\HardDiskVolume2. This is probably because Easy BCD is installed in Win 7 (hence the reference to C drive) and initially the W10 partition got a drive letter under W7.

Not a show-stopper but certainly an irritant.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Why not just pick an OS an go for it? If you need another OS, just virtualize an existing installation or create a new VM. It seems to me that you're doing things the hard way.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why not just pick an OS an go for it? If you need another OS, just virtualize an existing installation or create a new VM. It seems to me that you're doing things the hard way.

I normally used two separate drives to avoid funky conflicts.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tim, my w10 installation is still a work in progress. Meanwhile I have get things done (meaning W7). As and when I have time, I am adding the sw I need on to W10. Some day soon my W10 install will be "self-sufficient" and I cn discontinue W7. I then have to figure out how to get rid of the boot menu and boot straight into W10. :bstd:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Amazing fact: My Colorvision/Datacolor Spyder2Express calibration unit with the last software version released for it in Nov. 2012 actually worked in W10-64! My Dell 2209WA LCD monitor purchased circa 2009 is now color calibrated :bglaugh:

Mercutio

An anomaly in the space-time continuum.

Dual boot is not all hunky-dory. If I boot into W10 and shut down - power-off, the boot menu does not show up on power-on; machine goes straight into W10.

You need to set the boot options in Windows 10. Try going in to System Properties, Advanced System Settings, Advanced Tab, Startup and Recovery and see if changing the entries there puts thins the way you want them.

If your boot loader is set up properly, you should see the Windows 10 boot loader every time, though starting Windows 7 from the Windows 10 boot loader WILL re-set the machine.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Amazing fact: My Colorvision/Datacolor Spyder2Express calibration unit with the last software version released for it in Nov. 2012 actually worked in W10-64! My Dell 2209WA LCD monitor purchased circa 2009 is now color calibrated :bglaugh:

Makes me wonder if there are any such tools for the 1703FP and SE198WFP. Or am I misunderstanding you, and those will work with any monitor?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
You need to set the boot options in Windows 10. Try going in to System Properties, Advanced System Settings, Advanced Tab, Startup and Recovery and see if changing the entries there puts thins the way you want them.
I did; everything looks correct.

If your boot loader is set up properly, you should see the Windows 10 boot loader every time
Obviously it isn't :(

starting Windows 7 from the Windows 10 boot loader WILL re-set the machine.
You lost me there! I'd think if the boot loader was set up correctly, I should always see it, regardless of which OS I shut down from.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Depends on where I shut down from. If the m/c was shut down from W7, the boot menu comes up. If the m/c was shut down in W10, no boot menu, straight boot into W10. If I want W7, I'll have to "re-start" W10, then the boot menu comes up.

Not a big deal, fairly soon I'll be purely W10 based with the W7 installation remaining for funky stuff.

Mercutio

It sounds like your "master" BCD data is stored with your Windows 7 installation rather than Windows 10 since your setup is backwards from how I normally see it.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Looks like, Merc. Anyway, life goes on, I'll worry about this if I can't pull the plug on w7 when the time comes.

I used Media Creation Tool on my W7-64 Ultimate to download the ISO I used to fresh-install W10 using another W7-64-Pro key.

When upgrading my daughter's laptop, I'd rather do it off a DVD than online. I guess I will need to run MCT from her Win-8.1-64 so that the correct edition gets downloaded.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
For the preview editions of W10, there were reports that it checks for cracked sw and reports back to MS. Is this still true? Some people I know were asking.

LunarMist

Stereodude

Not really a
So I have a Window 7 Pro SP1 x64 computer that the little MS tool in systray tells me I can't upgrade to Windows 10 because there's no driver for my graphics "card" (ASPEED AST2300). There is a driver for Windows 8.1 x64, and it should work in Windows 10 (I think). Since the tool isn't going to let me upgrade, can I clean install Windows 10 or am I going to run into activation issues using my Windows 7 Pro key since the key has been used to activate Windows 7 already?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, technically an activated W7 installation is eligible for an upgrade, no? Worst case you can do an upgrade, activate W10, wipe, do a clean install of W10 with the W7 key and you should be set. More pain and effort, but you do reach the destination. If you can, you may want to do the clean install first to see if it will activate.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, technically an activated W7 installation is eligible for an upgrade, no?
Yes, that's their claim. :p

Worst case you can do an upgrade, activate W10, wipe, do a clean install of W10 with the W7 key and you should be set.
Maybe I glossed over that point too much, but because the tool tells me my graphics "card" is not compatible with Windows 10, it won't let me do an upgrade leaving a clean install as my only option.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, MS isn't on my Christmas card list...

The Windows 10 upgrade could be initiated from a USB drive. It didn't seem to care about the graphics card driver. The upgrade went okay at first. I was able to load the Windows 8.1 x64 driver for the graphics "card" without issue. I got drivers loaded for everything except my Mellanox 10GbE Ethernet card. I downloaded the latest driver package from Mellanox and was greeted with the Windows 10 BSOD equivalent screen during the driver install process. It would BSOD during every boot on one of the driver files. I finally got that stopped, but nothing I did I was able to get the card working. I ended up deciding to clean install the system with the 10GbE card removed.

Unfortunately, during the clean install for some inexplicable reason the installer decided to write the 500MB system reserved partition to one of my empty HW RAID arrays hanging off the hardware RAID card in the system despite my telling it to install Windows 10 to the SSD RAID-1 array. As soon as I saw that I pulled the arrays and clean installed Windows 10 again with only the RAID-1 array of the SSDs in the system because I knew that wasn't going to be fixable faster than reinstalling. I was able to get all the drivers installed for the HW in the system. Then I added the 10GbE network card got a BSOD equivalent during boot, but it was fine after the reboot. Windows found some drivers for the Mellanox card and installed them. I then installed the driver & tool pack from Mellanox. No BSOD this time and everything was happy.

I reinstalled the HW RAID card and Windows got all freaky on me because it saw the 500MB system reserved partition and went into some sort of automated repair system. I pressed the power button down until the system shut off and I pulled the drives associated with that array. Then powered back on. Windows 10 booted up, I hot-plugged the drives, erased them from the MSM GUI, after cycling them one more time they were considered blank / good unconfigured drives. So, I recreated the array on the drives again.

I guess I'm ready to make a system backup and then start installing the various programs, tools, and software that need to be on this system.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, it says everywhere on the 'net that to be safe, unplug all drives other than the destination when installing W10. I unplugged all my other drives and had a totally painless install. And of course, I'm not running any exotic hw like you, and my system is 3+ years old so W10 knows all about my hw.

Stereodude

Not really a
...And of course, I'm not running any exotic hw like you, and my system is 3+ years old so W10 knows all about my hw.
I don't know about exotic, but I suppose. It's all several years old though. I mean they're new, but I'm not using cutting edge hardware that came out in the last year or anything. It's a Haswell based E3 v3 Xeon which has been out for almost 3 years. The particular 10GbE and RAID cards I'm using have been sold for years as well.

Oh well... it's working now.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, MS isn't on my Christmas card list...

The Windows 10 upgrade could be initiated from a USB drive. It didn't seem to care about the graphics card driver. The upgrade went okay at first. I was able to load the Windows 8.1 x64 driver for the graphics "card" without issue. I got drivers loaded for everything except my Mellanox 10GbE Ethernet card. I downloaded the latest driver package from Mellanox and was greeted with the Windows 10 BSOD equivalent screen during the driver install process. It would BSOD during every boot on one of the driver files. I finally got that stopped, but nothing I did I was able to get the card working. I ended up deciding to clean install the system with the 10GbE card removed.

Unfortunately, during the clean install for some inexplicable reason the installer decided to write the 500MB system reserved partition to one of my empty HW RAID arrays hanging off the hardware RAID card in the system despite my telling it to install Windows 10 to the SSD RAID-1 array. As soon as I saw that I pulled the arrays and clean installed Windows 10 again with only the RAID-1 array of the SSDs in the system because I knew that wasn't going to be fixable faster than reinstalling. I was able to get all the drivers installed for the HW in the system. Then I added the 10GbE network card got a BSOD equivalent during boot, but it was fine after the reboot. Windows found some drivers for the Mellanox card and installed them. I then installed the driver & tool pack from Mellanox. No BSOD this time and everything was happy.

I reinstalled the HW RAID card and Windows got all freaky on me because it saw the 500MB system reserved partition and went into some sort of automated repair system. I pressed the power button down until the system shut off and I pulled the drives associated with that array. Then powered back on. Windows 10 booted up, I hot-plugged the drives, erased them from the MSM GUI, after cycling them one more time they were considered blank / good unconfigured drives. So, I recreated the array on the drives again.

I guess I'm ready to make a system backup and then start installing the various programs, tools, and software that need to be on this system.

You could substitute any version of windows back to Windows 98 any where Win 10 is mentioned and it's Déjà vu all over again.
MS hasn't ever fixed anything.

Stereodude

Not really a
Is there any way to change the default restart time (from updates)? I know you can have it prompt you for restarts, but I would rather it just restart itself as needed but at say 5AM instead of 3AM. At least I think it currently reboots at 3AM. My Googling didn't turn up a way to change the time, just lots of articles about having it prompt you for a time rather than shifting the restart time.

Stereodude

Not really a
So you can change the port the computer listens for RDP on in Windows 10, but you can't change the rules in the firewall for RDP to change the port. You have to create new rules... I don't think this is new to Windows 10, but if you went to the trouble to change the port for RDP in the registry you'd probably like the firewall to use the same port number... :cursin:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
You can change the start time of maintenance but this does not control the reboot time explicitly. Look for control panel > automatic maintenance.
Explicit control may require you to disable some automation and control the actions and schedule through group policy and task scheduler.

Stereodude

Not really a
Unless you plan to go Linux you're going to end up with Windows 10 sooner or later. Why not get it when it's free?

Mercutio

That's my position as well. I'm fine with Linux in any case but usually it's easier to use Windows, even the versions that kind of suck. And really, the last version of Windows that was actually bad was Vista. 10, for all its warts, is something I'd rather use than 7 or 8.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've put 10 on a few PCs. Using Classic Shell to lose the goofy start menu & DoNoSpy10 to disable the stuff MS doesn't give you controls for during installation I don't have a ton of concern. It's fast, and the new file copy progress bar, as well as the trick task manager are way better than what's in Windows 7 (yes, I know they were introduced in Windows 8 ).

My HTPC is the only PC I don't see moving to 10 from it's current 8.1. I will upgrade it to 10 before the deadline so MS recognizes the HW down the road when I clean install it, but I will restore the 8.1 backup and keep using that for now.

LunarMist

Unless you plan to go Linux you're going to end up with Windows 10 sooner or later. Why not get it when it's free?

It's not free. Thousands of dollars of my time will be lost figuring out all the spyware and updating crap. That doesn't even include software compatibility issues. I was hoping to build a new 8.1 computer later thus year or early 2017, but read somewhere that MS will not allow it.