WiFi Adapters

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm thinking about relocating a real computer system, but there are no ethernets in the house. I see a plethora of various PCIe cards, but what is recommended? Does it matter whether they have one, two or three antennae?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
The greatest range I've had from a wireless adapter was from something like this. There is a more modern unit now, but the gain from the antenna is rated lower and I've never tried it.

Last edited:

LunarMist

Oh, I was not thinking about USB for a normal computer, but that would be more versatile.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The greatest range I've had from a wireless adapter was from something like this. There is a more modern unit now, but the gain from the antenna is rated lower and I've never tried it.

Not a fan of 2.4GHz only adapters -- It also needs to be able to run at 5GHz. My minimum standards are changing though. I'm almost to the point of requiring 802.11ac but I want them to drop a bit in price yet.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Facing the same issue again.
Tried a 30.00 USB wireless and was getting about 1-2 mbps. Barely worked.
Access point is two:
one is in a office building 238 feet NE
the other is 330 feet in the same direction.
Another SE that is 508 feet away.

Both are xfinitywifi hotspots.

First step was to install a TP-Link 802.11AC Adapter
https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5519_Archer-T9E.html

Pointed the antennas the wrong way, and get under 7 mbps.
Point the right direction: 20-29 Mbps

Just downloaded the latest drivers so re-testing.: 20 using TP Link software.
Now going to reboot without it, and just use windows.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Without TP Link software 19-23mbps.

Next going to try and attach maybe cables and antennas to increase range. trying these:

Buy the selected items together

This item:2 x 9dBi SMA 4G LTE Antenna, Omni Directional 3G/4G/GSM WiFi FPV Antenna WiFi Range Extender Booster… $12.99

Podofo 2.4GHz Antennas and Signal Amplifier 2400-2500Mhz Magnet Mount SMA 4G Antenna with Male Connector 3DBi Outdoor Signal Booster

Hoping these antennas will amplify the signal a bit.

Wondering if 6 foot cables would be worth it to get the antennas closer to the window, and away from all the computer stuff...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
This item:2 x 9dBi SMA 4G LTE Antenna, Omni Directional 3G/4G/GSM WiFi FPV Antenna WiFi Range Extender Booster… $12.99

Podofo 2.4GHz Antennas and Signal Amplifier 2400-2500Mhz Magnet Mount SMA 4G Antenna with Male Connector 3DBi Outdoor Signal Booster

Both going back.
ArcherT9E has a male connector, requiring a female on the antenna. Both of these are male as well.

going with these:
3 Wifi 9dBi Dual Band Omni Directional Antenna 2.4Ghz/5Ghz with RP-SMA Male Connector For Wireless Wi-Fi Router and Network Devices

Even though it says Male, the "male" connector does not have the center wire...

LunarMist

Do you have no IT support in an office building? I'd expect they don't require such a long distance for wi-fi. Most offices run cable for wi-fi APs at reasonable distances.
The building engineers may also have info on the construction and infrastructure of the building.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Wifi antennas came in today.
3 Wifi 9dBi Dual Band Omni Directional Antenna 2.4Ghz/5Ghz with RP-SMA Male Connector For Wireless Wi-Fi Router and Network Devices

These work. Tests before: 18mbps
Tests after: 28-30 mbps.

Enough to make using the VPN viable.

NordVPN:
28-29 mbps.