Who will make the 10,000 Post?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
But seeing as there are a mere 11 posts to go now and it's the middle of the night in America, odds-on it will be me, the Prof, James, or Pradeep. One of us right side of the globe people anyway. Unless it's that thrice-dammed Cougtek sneaking in again, just like he did for the 1000th post in the old China Tread. :evil:

Actually, I predict that, in my late Friday burst of energy, I;ll take us up tp about 9997 before I get bored and go home to play Age of Empires, and then the Pro will sieze his chance to make three quick posts: numbers 9998, 9999, and 1001. Unless someone does the decent thing and disconnects the entire city of Quebec for the duration.

(OK, it's not a city and it's got some of those funny thingamejiggits hanging off the top of its letters. And probably spelled better than that too. But you know what I mean.)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yep, indeed it is. BTW, your previous reply was #10001, not 9999. #9999 was also mine, but in the Computer forum.

I guess I'm making a bad habit of it ;-)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ahh, and a fitting thing it is too. Perhaps you will take Tannin's thought in leiu of the deed. And this time, I will pay more attention to my typing - curse you hairless but nimble-fingered ones with the oposable thumbs - and remember to include my sig.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
CougTek said:
He's talking about the 10000th post of the SF forum, not the first to post 10000 messages of their own.
Eerr, that was the joke, you know... :-?
Jason to come by surprise and spam these forums by posting the 10000th post out of the blue...

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
I recall visiting (actually, stumbing upon) a UBB-based pro audio forum once. I noticed that this one cat there had something like 14000 or 16000 posts -- and that was in just a little over ONE YEAR! One would have to be confined to a prison cell or something to have that sort of dedication!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
GIANT said:
I recall visiting (actually, stumbing upon) a UBB-based pro audio forum once. I noticed that this one cat there had something like 14000 or 16000 posts -- and that was in just a little over ONE YEAR! One would have to be confined to a prison cell or something to have that sort of dedication!

Continuum, at Arstechnica, has over 24000 post on his own. I wonder if he sometimes takes a break for peeing :roll:

The Giver

No your Holiness. "The_Giver" is actually The Giver's Quebecois partner in crime who resides in the great white north. No doubt you picked up on the heavy French accent. :)

The Grammar Police

Not at all, Your Holiness. Tea and I both voted for yours as the best avatar of all.

(No, no. Wait a moment! We are having one of my periodic bouts of identity confusion. Ahha, we seem to have the blue skin and be wearing uniform, therefore I must be The Grammar Police. In that case, Tea and Tannin both voted for you. Or Tea did, and I recall Tannin having some difficulty with the moral dilemma of voting in a poll when his alter ego had already done so.)

The long and the short of it, Your Grace, is that the picture suits you more perfectly than anything you could possibly have chosen for yourself. Just one thing: I know that the popes of old had a dreadful reputaton for greed, theft, carnality and blasphemy, but this is after all the 21st Century. One expects a man of the cloth to express himself a little more delicately.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tea: Le voleur congelé de bicyclette.

James: The thief frozen of the bicycle?

Yes, James. Or possibly Cuir-plaqué le Glacial. My good friend Google and I confess to a little confusion here. How does one translate "Hells Angel of the Frozen Wastes"?

The Giver

blakerwry said:
lol, that is so strange to look up and see the pope next to my posts....
Ah "the glass is half empty" strikes again. Look on the bright side of things: You are now infallible. Further, given the ambiguity inherent in your former avatar, The Giver thought you would appreciate a new one which placed you in close proximity to gobs of Altar Boys. If The Giver is mistaken as to the tone set by your former avatar then there are always the Nuns to fall back on. Err.. so to speak.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Tea said:
Tea: Le voleur congelé de bicyclette.

James: The thief frozen of the bicycle?

Yes, James. Or possibly Cuir-plaqué le Glacial. My good friend Google and I confess to a little confusion here. How does one translate "Hells Angel of the Frozen Wastes"?
Le voleur congelé de bicyclette would translate as The bicycle's frozen thief. Bicyclette is a motorless bicycle. A bike or motorcycle translates as "bicycle" and "moto" (only the snobs call it a "motocyclette").

Cuir-plaqué le Glacial : I supposed you wanted to translate "Leather-plated the Cold"?

Hell's Angel of the Frozen Wastes : I'm not sure what you mean by "frozen wastes". I suspect that wastes is a type of vegetation ressembling to the tundra, but I'm not sure. The closest I can think of would be terres glacées or champs glacés (frozen grounds; frozen fields). Hell's Angels remains the same in French. We don't call them the Anges de l'Enfer.

BTW, although I often look like one of those thugs, I don't like them. I've had conflicts with them in the past and I have very little respect for them. Alone, they are all cowards. They only hit from behind and always in group. True tough guys (*cough*) settle their matters by themselves and face to face.