question Which Tablets

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
For some reason the 32GB version of the 10" is $100 more than the 16GB, but the 32GB version of the 7" is only $50 more than the 16GB. It's a ripoff.

LunarMist

Not if the product is not yet available. The price is just a number from marketing and will be adjusted accordingly based on sales.
I might buy one at some point, but I really prefer the lighter wieght on the 8.9" tablet.

fb

Storage is cool
It must be a coincidence, but it's exactly the same difference as Apple has between the 16GB and 32GB and 64GB iPads.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
ie, a ripoff.

No microSD slot pushes people to the higher profit margin model.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've never been terribly fond of Ubuntu, but this Tablet demo has all kinds of Do Want in it. Particularly the side screen for multitasking and the actual login screen for differentiating user accounts.
I am excited to see that, but I wonder how well it runs on real hardware.

[video=youtube;h384z7Ph0gU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h384z7Ph0gU[/video]

Mercutio

I was all excited when I saw that Ubuntu was available for the Xoom, but it turns out that some sick person had ported the desktop version of Ubuntu, rather than the tablet version that I really want to try.

Anyway, LG bought WebOS from HP over the weekend and HP promptly began releasing Android devices. And Firefox OS is being rolled out to developers.

I like the idea that there should be more than a couple big names competing for our dollars in mobile, particularly given how little traction Windows, BB and WebOS have. I suppose any of those is a valid third option, but it doesn't feel like it; the best thing one could do with a RIM tablet is still to put Android on it, after all.

The battery life on my main tablet (Galaxy 8.9) is down to perhaps six hours of active use or a day and a half at standby. When I got it, it was twice that. So I'm going to replace its battery soon. I'm curious to see what next-generation Android tablets look like, but since no one seems to be making devices in the 8.9" form factor I like, I suspect I'm going to stick with what I have.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I was pleased to see HP announce some mostly stock android tablets recently.

Stereodude

Not really a
The battery life on my main tablet (Galaxy 8.9) is down to perhaps six hours of active use or a day and a half at standby. When I got it, it was twice that. So I'm going to replace its battery soon. I'm curious to see what next-generation Android tablets look like, but since no one seems to be making devices in the 8.9" form factor I like, I suspect I'm going to stick with what I have.
Are you sure that's the battery wearing or just increase power consumption by the software (presumably it's running a very version of Android now than it did before)?

Mercutio

Are you sure that's the battery wearing or just increase power consumption by the software (presumably it's running a very version of Android now than it did before)?

I've considered that, but I'm talking about a roughly 50% decrease. I've not observed that from the other devices I've upgraded to ICS or Jelly Bean.
I'm sure my usage habits on that tablet are different just because I carry it around and actually use it though.

A couple different outfits are selling extended capacity batteries. I've not had great luck with third party batteries but I don't think there's a Samsung OEM one available at any sort of reasonable price.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Might be worth checking out CPU Spy and see if there is something keeping it from going into deep sleep.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
There was a rumor around the 21st of January about Google set to announced a refresh to its Nexus 10 tablet during the Mobile World Congress. MWC 2013 came and passed and I've heard nothing about the rumored quad-core Nexus 10 refresh. What's up with that?

Mercutio

It came and went so I guess we won't be getting anything like that.
Samsung is having an event in a week or so and they're definitely launching a new Galaxy phone. I'm curious to see if they also update their tablet line. The Note 10.1 is the current flagship, and it's a BIG step down from the Nexus 10, Fire HD or Transformer Infinity.

Of course, in a perfect world, they'd release a new 8.9" tablet as well but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Mercutio

I did replace my Galaxy Tab's battery. It did help. I got an extra two hours or so of power-on time out of the one I put in and the whole operation only took me about 15 minutes.

So anyway, I was looking for a cheap tablet just now and I found this guy. $135, 1280x800 IPS, 7", quad core, 16GB, full Google integration, running ICS. It's not a Fire HD or a Nexus 7, but looking down the specs list I don't exactly see anything I'd object to getting.

Mercutio

I was looking for something better than a $100 Big Lots tablet to recommend to people. You know, the 7", 640x480, 512MB with 2GB of fixed storage with no card slot and no access to Google's branded applications?
I get asked for that sort of thing quite a lot.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Is there any tablet out there that'll take a USB internet dongle? Wi-Fi ain't that widespread here, and it'll be useful when traveling to have internet access via a tablet. The real answer to the question I guess is if the dongle has sw to run on Android.

Mercutio

At least in the US, premium tablets usually offer the option of cellular internet service. Usually there's a $100 premium over non-aircard equipped hardware. It's hard to justify on a tablet since you're likely going to be paying $40/month for a data plan for it.

But how ubiquitous is 802.11 in the US? Most of the places where I've stopped to get gas in the last six months have had an open AP, as do fast food and casual dining establishments. The convention center where I went for C2E2 had almost universal 2.4 and 5GHz service (which, granted, was paid access but available). The strip club where my friends work has open access, as does my gym.

Very few tablets support a full size USB connection for much of anything. The Thinkpad tablet and the Toshiba Thrive both have one, but I suspect that they're storage-only. AFAIK there's no userland tool for installing third party device drivers on Android-anything so you're probably out of luck.

Windows 8 and Windows RT might be better if it's something you legitimately need.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
The Thinkpad tablet and the Toshiba Thrive both have one, but I suspect that they're storage-only.
I can confirm the Thrive (AT100/AT1S0) is for storage only with stock firmware. The recommended method for the Thrive is to use the hotspot functionality on your Android phone, or use one of the portable WiFi hotspot devices. (We personally just use our phones for hot spot functionality).

(If you load CM + drivers for your 3G dongle you can get it to work, but support for 3G dongles is spotty at best and very carrier dependent as most carriers f*(k over the dongle firmware quite a bit).

Mercutio

Oh, speaking of inexpensive but nice tablets, The Nook HD had a firmware update over the weekend that added support for the Play Store, so stock Nooks are finally something besides completely retarded. And the 7" model was dropped to $150.

Mercutio

Hey friends
I want to buy a new tablet can you suggest me which will be best for operate

Since no one answered, the products I'd look at right now are the Google Nexus 7 or 10; the Galaxy Tab 3 Note 8"; or the Asus MeMOpad 10. If you're willing to bargain hunt, the Nook HD goes for $100 to $120 on Ebay at this point, and might be acceptable. The Nook has kind of a crummy default experience; you'd probably want to replace its shell with Go Launcher or something right away. The other tablets are fairly similar in most respects.
The Nexus 10 has a superlative high resolution screen but no storage expansion.
The Tab 3 Note is a good compromise of resolution and form factor. It has the same screen resolution as the Nexus 7 though. Smaller tablets are a good idea if your expected use has more to do with reading than watching.
The Asus MeMOpad has a nice 1080p IPS screen and it also supports storage expansion.

It's definitely possible to get a decent generic tablet, but they're not easy to come by. If you're looking for something Android-y, make sure at the very least that whatever you buy includes support for the Google Play store.

Mercutio

The 2013 Nexus 7" looks fairly awesome but now that there are 7" 1080P screens my next question is why does it still cost a young fortune to get a desktop display with any more pixels than that?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It certainly looks nice and I will recommend it to anyone looking for a tablet. I just don't know what I would use a tablet for. At work I have a powerful laptop. At home I have an HTPC and a Desktop. Everywhere else I have a GS3.

Handruin

Administrator
It certainly looks nice and I will recommend it to anyone looking for a tablet. I just don't know what I would use a tablet for. At work I have a powerful laptop. At home I have an HTPC and a Desktop. Everywhere else I have a GS3.

I've been debating this same thing for a while. I don't really have a need for a tablet because I have other devices that suffice.

Mercutio

My tablet is foremost a device I use for reading. My phone is capable of doing that, but it's not nearly as comfortable.

Handruin

Administrator
I find the opposite to be true. When I'm reading in bed, a tablet is too heavy and bulky.

Last edited:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Tables are too big for bed... Minus Doug's misspelling I agree with him completely. I read on my phone everyday. On the train, on the toilet, in bed, etc.

ddrueding

Fixture
When I read in bed, what I want is something with a big enough screen that I can keep it some distance from my face. If I don't my eyes tire quickly. I also want something with a heavy base I can use to prop the screen up without holding it or my arms get tired. I've found that this new invention called a laptop works really well for the purpose.

Tablets are good for the toilet, but not long-term use.

LunarMist

I wish that Panasonic 20" had reached fruition. It smells like vaporware now.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I swapped from an Incredible S to a Galaxy S4 because I read a lot on my phone, and I like the bigger screen. Still thinking the new Nexus might be my first tablet though.

Plus, I can now put Jellybean on the Incredible S. Not bad for a phone that started out with Froyo (2.2).

Stereodude

Not really a
It certainly looks nice and I will recommend it to anyone looking for a tablet. I just don't know what I would use a tablet for.
I decided to dip my foot into the world of tablets and Android with a 32GB Nexus 7 (2013). I don't know what I'm going to use it for, but I'm pretty sure I can find something.