What do we all look like

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Here's me. Shawn / e_dawg.

shawn_1.jpg

shawn_3.jpg

Tony, all your pics seem to be missing...

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Thanks for the welcome, guys. Great to see some familiar faces again. Since most of you are from SR anyways, I guess it should be "welcome back, e_dawg" :)

OTOH, like James alluded to, my presence is usually like that of a bear -- I am known to go through long periods of hibernation.

As for FAH, I used to run the FAH client all the time, but it stopped working well for some reason and I sort of stopped using it. Since then, I have joined SR's UD team and have been slowly chruning out the odd WU for them. I'm going to stay with SR/UD for now.

Besides, at the rate I process WU's, I wouldn't be of much use. I can no longer tolerate running the client in the background while I work, so it only comes on when the screen saver is active. And that is only for 10 hours a day, usually.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Welcome E_dawg. I wish could Ice Skate. I have weak ankles and they always buckle in. Very embarrassing and uncomfortable. I was reduced to sliding in my sneakers over the ice when I was a kid. Once in a while the sliding was unintentionally done on the seat of my pants. 8)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Heh, it's the fact that it stole my CPU cycles and made everything less "snappy" that I didn't like. I'm already getting dual Athlon 1800 MP envy; let's not make it any worse by talking about easy multitasking, shall we? :)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hey! E_dawg my man! Great to see you! Damn. it, where is Tannin when you want him?

(Tannin! Get over here!)

(Huh?)

(Come over and say hi to e_dawg.)

(I'm busy. You say 'hi' for me ... Who did you say?)

(E_dawg.)

(Oh. That's different. Hang on a tic. I'll be right there.)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(Err, Tea?)

(Mmmm?)

(Why does everybody look so young?)

(Because we are young, you fool. All of us. Except for you and the Bartender, of course.)

(Rubbish. What about Fushigi and Buck? And what do you mean 'we'? You and I are not baby-faced youngsters like James and e_dawg, you know. We are mature people. Well, a mature ape, in your case, but mature nonetheless.)

(Oh don't be ridiculous, Tannin. You might be mature, but I'm not. It's a well known fact that I am an indeterminate but small number of years old, and my summers could be reckoned on the fingers of two hands.)

(Not any more. As of today, you are 38.)

(No I'm not.)

(Oh yes you are. You are imaginary. I invented you, I can change you if I want to.)

(Oh Tannin. You just don't understand, do you. Maybe it would be different if you had had children of your own. Then you would have learned. Sooner or later, there comes a time when you have to let go. It's much to late to go changing me. If you wanted me to be 38, you should have decided that in the first place and imagined a differen me. As it is, you'll just have to wait.)

(You mean in about 30 years, you will be 38?)

(Maybe. I'm not sure if imaginary people age like real people or not. Maybe in 30 years I will still be just as innocent and beautiful as I am now. Are you any older than you were this time last year?)

(Umm ... Yes. At least I think so. One year older, in fact.)

(Whereas I was the same age when I was born as I am now. Well, maybe. I can't remember how old I was when I was born. Do you remember?)

(About seven, I think. Or maybe eight)

(Well, there you go then. Looks like I'm stuck here.)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Heh, heh... Great to see you too, old friend. And when I say old, I mean... :) just kidding, Tannin. Yeah, I get that all the time -- the babyface comment.

Just a couple months ago when I was at a Mother's Day party, one girl asked me "so are you still in high school?" I was a little surprised by that comment. Sensing that in my expression, she said "oh, sorry, you must have just graduated." I just laughed and looked at her brother, who said "High school? Heh, Shawn's doing his MBA now; the guy has 2 undergrad degrees more than you!" With a little embarrassment, she said the words I hear twice a month: "oh, I'm sorry. You looked younger than I thought."

... so I decided to act my supposed age and proceeded to hit on her younger cousin, who was probably 19 or so :mrgrn:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
That was no 19 year old younger cousin. That was her grandmother. Everyone always says how young she looks.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Greetings e_dawg, what type of drink can I get you (your list in the beverages thread allowed for a good variety)?

Tea, I know apes are binocular, so seeing the youth in Buck, me, or Fushigi should be easy. As a matter of fact, if P5 would shave off that beard, I'm sure he'd look like a 19-year old. In the picture Tannin displayed for us, he looked a bit grumpy (headache or something), so his youthfulness was not able to shine through.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Quite right Bartender. One of these days I'll have to show one of those obscure pictures like Koggit did, that'll prove my youthfulness. Just a word of caution Tea, I've seen what your type look like as they age, and it's not so cute. You're gonna make me look slim! :)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Well, this is just the very thing Tannin and I were discussing, Buck. Do imaginary people age? Tannin seems to think that we do, but I'm not so sure. I rather suspect that I'll still be my current size and shape in 100 years. I mean, how old is Christopher Robin? Or Dorothy? Now those two were born about 80 and about 150 years ago respectively, and I'm quite sure that Christopher Robin is still 6, and that Dorothy is still a little girl too. (Though I'm not sure if she is in Oz these days or back in Kansas.)

But that's if I still exist in 100 years, of course. I'm a bit afraid of that. What happens if Tannin gets run over by a pizza delivery van, or gored to death by a large wild parrot? I know I wouldn't have come into the world if Tannin hadn't imagined me, but if he goes away will I still be here? Or do I just disappear into nothing?

Maybe the Bartender knows.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Interesting topic Tea. Does Buck's head make a thud on the bar rail when there is no one around to hear it?

If Dorothy is no longer where we've left her, then hasn't her entire world moved along with her?

I believe we are as old, or as young, as Tannin and Buck want us to be – and what would you expect from some psychologically unstable individuals as that, then to be found on a roller-coaster ride of: ‘You’re this, no you’re that…wait...’

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmm .. Tannin tried to make me 38 just now, but I wasn't wearing it. So it seems that we have at least some free will.

Actually, I've never noticed Buck's head go "tump" on the bar. He seems to subside quite gracefully most of the time, with just an imperceptable sort of gradual slump into unconsciousness. Mind you, It's bit hard to hear from down here.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Bartender said:
Greetings e_dawg, what type of drink can I get you (your list in the beverages thread allowed for a good variety)?

I'll have a screaming orgasm, if you don't mind.

P.S., I was able to find the name of my shooter :)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Hmm... I wasn't hoping for more top-end speed, but to raise my "minimum" speed, if you will -- reducing the bogging that occurs when one CPU is tied up @ 100%.

But if you and others are suggesting that there is no extra responsiveness during multitasking, then my whole point of wanting a dual CPU setup is gone.

This both disturbs and puzzles me. :evil: :eekers:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Buck, you do realize that we can't tell a damn thing from that picture....

Where are you camping there?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
flagreen said:
Buck,

Do you like sleeping on rocks?

hehehe - No, I don't like sleeping on rocks and I didn't. I slept inside the tent with an air matress and my sleeping bag. The terrain may seem really rocky, but it wasn't. The rocks just end up there because that area had been used plenty of times before us as a camp site. People will get rocks to build fire pits. Then, for the sake of the environment, they dismantle the pits by spreading the rocks around (ooooh, big help). The rocks work really well though, as they hold onto the heat for a while.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Ah so... had it been me who were asked that I would have answered - "Real men sleep on rocks." :)

James

Storage is cool
e_dawg said:
But if you and others are suggesting that there is no extra responsiveness during multitasking, then my whole point of wanting a dual CPU setup is gone.
I'm afraid I sort of see dual CPUs as being the IDE RAID0 of extra day to day performance, if you get my drift.