What a day!

Vlad The Impaler

Learning Storage Performance
I have just had so much fun today!

I had to purchase a £5k Tandburg DLT S320 10 tape Autoloader tape drive for a customer today. There are six distributers in the UK for Tandburg. After 3 hours of phoning different people and some harsh words, I managed to get £900 off of the original price I was quoted for the drive.

The amount of crap you have to go through to get a reasonable price! It goes to show how much cream some disties will go for if you let them. You need eyes in the your backside to watch out for yourself in the wonderful world of computer wholesale purchasing!

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
So Vlad... didn't you meam to say that you saved your customer 900 quid?

You are passing that savings on to your customer aren't you my fair trading friend? Hmmm?

Vlad The Impaler

Learning Storage Performance
Yeah, OK I can't spell! Dawn weird name anyways!

Flag, The saving I made was for me. Time was, you could sell an item like this and make £2k no probs without any negotiation. Nowadays with world + dog thinking that they can build and sell computers of all types for a living, I had some idiot trying to bid against me and make the kings ransom of £200. £200 on a £5k drive! Including techincal support.

Now 4% on a drive like that sure is going to put food on your kids table and pay your staff what with that huge queue of people stretching out of the door ready to make their everyday purchases of 3.2 TB tape drives! By the time they have gone bankrupt as they always, always do, they have damaged your long established business that little bit more each time. Then, with another enterprise grant from my tax money, they or somebody like them starts up again and proceeds to weaken everybody around them once again. The UK government ideas for encouraging business seem to be rather akin to those of the man who tried to make a piece of rope longer by cutting one end off and sticking it on the other end.

Nevermind the rant, we got the deal and made a reasonable amount. Deals like this are the ones that keep companies going; a least until the one man bands working out of their garden sheds move into the market! At that point it will be time to leave..... Maybe I could sell clothes or CDs. They never seem to drop in price!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't know how you guys do it.

I could sell at a profit, but I don't think I could afford to eat if I did.