webpage updating

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Hey all, I'm looking for some type of solution that will allow me to simply upload a file to my website (through FTP or through a webpage interface) that once upload will be displayed on the website.

The current site is http://www.anime-jennie.com I'd like to be able to just upload a picture/thumbnail to the site and then have the pages dynamically created based on the pictures stored in a directory on the server.

Does anyone have any tips on existing products or ways to accomplish this?

I change the layout every few months, but no work has really been done on the site llately just because it is a hassle to have to upload the files and then modify the html. It also takes coordination between 2 people becasue my girlfriend is making the images and I am managing the site. I'd like something easy enough so that she could put pictures on the site herself (she does have basic html knowledge).

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
What you are asking for requires some sort of script.

CityDesk might be able to do it.

If you generated the pages via a CGI script, it could do it.

A php or asp script page might be able to do it but I'm not sure how accessing the filesystem of the server works in those scripting technologies.

Somebody might already have a script that does something similar to what you want. You can then modify it to fit your needs.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Some graphics apps like Photoshop can take a group of images and create an html view with thumbnails that are links to the full size images. PS even does a batch of images and automatically restricts it to so many a page. Rudimentary HTML but you can always edit it afterwards. Then upload the whole directory it creates.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
If it's just changing one (or more) URLs inside an otherwise static page, any scripting language could do this for you - you'd just need to upload a new index page along with the images. I do this sort of thing all the time with Ruby, but you could do it just as easily with Perl, Python, or heck even C++.

Oh wait, you're not using Windows, are you? :wink:

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
How about this. I've used Gallery in the past and it's relatively simple to administer once installed. If you are interested in automating the entire site, you could use one of the many content management systems out there (Drupal, Plone, PHPNuke, etc.) Lots of these are available on Hotscripts.com I've played around quite a bit with Drupal, and I'm currently running a church website using it's most recent version. There's also a whole slew of other gallery apps on Hotscripts.

Handruin

Administrator
It sounds like what you are looking for is:

script reads path and counts the number of objects along with their file name.

"Do while" script that will generate a table of thumbnail images with a set amount. If that number is greater than the set amount, a next button is generated. Clicking each image opens a full screen image.

Does that sound reasonably close? You just want the script to dynamically show the images based on the number available, without changing any coding. That's how I'm interperating this.

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1058

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
you've got it pretty close Handy, but I would rather make the thumbnails myself as there are focal points that I want to be thumbed and not just the whole image.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, I knew i needed some type of script, but didnt know where to start.

I'll have to take a few hours tonight and go through all these sites.

thanks again.

Handruin

Administrator
If you don't need the thumbnails or any resizing, I could probably make you a PHP script that will generate the HTML tables with images being displayed.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
that would be very nice of you if you would.

here's an example of the HTML I'm using for each thumbnail.

Code:
<p align="right"> Mechanical Fairy [url="./images/cgi/misc/mechanicalFairy.jpg"][img]./images/cgi/misc/mechanicalFairy-thmb.jpg[/img][/url]

So each thumbnail is a link that points directly to the image file... each thumbnail ends with a "-thmb", the name is otherwise the same as the full size image, and all pictures are *.jpg format. Case conventions follow the same rules I would use in good programming for variable names.

I could probably code something like this myself, but I have no PHP, perl, or ASP experience.. so it would take me hours of head knocking I'm sure...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
oh yeah, im using server side includes throughout my site so simply generating a text file that only has the img/link tags would be all that would be necessary... all the boiler plate HTML and CSS would allready be taken care of in another file(s).

Handruin

Administrator
I'll take a look at it tomorrow night because it's late now and if I start, I won't go to bed until 2:00AM.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
actually handy, after some looking on hotscripts.com I found this.

Here's the result of a test I performed... all I had to do was upload the .jpg files and the script did the HTML making for me.

I think this will fit my needs perfectly.

Thanks again to all who contributed ideas.