WD Red

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Anybody using these? Large capacity, acceptable 3 year warranty, performance is as expected, prices seem reasonable. Anything not to like for use in a file server or for mass backups?

Stereodude

Not really a
I wonder if they've disabled the "feature" that messes with using the drives in RAID in the Red series.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think we discussed the RED drive in another thread. It is designed for the small NAS market with appropriate firmware and features to mitigate the effects of multiple drive vibrations. The chasis is similar to the Green series.

I'm not convinced that they are the best choice outside of the specific application.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We know he can walk at more than 6Km/h. You wouldn't have time to leave the country. We also know he has a bag full of Micropolis drives and apparently, he's very proficient in wielding it. At least you're used to have broken bones...

LunarMist

Doug will be there with his mightly little sports car to help me make the 200-300 km/h getaway. :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have all 24 of those drives connected to a nifty little Server 2008r2 machine. I'm using Drive Bender to maintain a quasi-array and I'm using the drives as a target for file synchronization. I've only been powering up that machine once a week or so to copy over new stuff. Drive Bender worries me a little since it's a quasi-JBOD and I'm not fully convinced that it's stable, but I haven't had any drive disconnections and the quasi-array is in good health.
The bigger and more amusing problem is that with the OS drive, the massive JBOD and 24 individually accessible drives, I'm actually using drives A: - Z: on a Windows machine. I could fix that but it amuses me.

Last edited:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
AFAIK, Timwhit's the closest, but I think the best he'd be able to do would be to give him the public transports schedule...

LunarMist

We should all go visit Merc and do a hard drive intervention. :D

time

Storage? I am Storage!
What on earth are you babbling about? Are you getting your OSes mixed up or something?

LunarMist

The 3TB RED is now $260. I think I'm done with the NAS idea.