WD greenpower 1TB drive

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
~9TB? Not bad. I'm still sitting at just ~7TB local storage, but mine is all in one array, a bit easier to handle.

Is that your original created data or illegitimate data from something that you don't own the copyright to and have not incurred the expense and time to produce? I can't afford to lose data (i.e., for more than a few hours) so I don't risk the use of arrays. There are at least three copies of the data, one of which is off site.

ddrueding

Fixture
According to the MPAA/RIAA's new laws it may be illegal, seems they are trying to prevent moving content from one medium to another. But I have the originals of 90%+ of the content in boxes in storage. Most of the music I did own (the 320kbps rips are a good indicator), but the CDs were stolen from my car years ago.

I have a second array that keeps a backup of the first, and the stuff I spent a lot of time on (photos, music, documents) also have an encrypted hard copy in a clients safe (by arrangement).

The needs are growing much faster now, with image files exceeding 250MB each and an HD-DVD pushing 30GB. Good thing I have room for another 6 drives on the main array.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Is that your original created data or illegitimate data from something that you don't own the copyright to and have not incurred the expense and time to produce? I can't afford to lose data (i.e., for more than a few hours) so I don't risk the use of arrays. There are at least three copies of the data, one of which is off site.

Proper RAID arrays - as opposed to Promise/Highpoint software abortion thingies - are a proven technology, and moreover, a proper RAID is something that could go a long way in alleviating your storage woes, Lunar.

As for the legality of "illegitimate data", it's my opinion that I've paid enough money - particularly for the cost of cable/satellite TV - to media conglomerates that I should be able to format shift as I see fit, whether they think it's legal or not.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Proper RAID arrays - as opposed to Promise/Highpoint software abortion thingies - are a proven technology, and moreover, a proper RAID is something that could go a long way in alleviating your storage woes, Lunar.

Sure. If I win the lottery, I'll have a proper computer and storage system built. :) :(