VOIP Service Provider

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Are any of you guys using a VOIP provider other than Vonage?
I've had vonage for years locked in at $20 a month but they keep increasing their fees to the point that I'm now paying an additional 50% a month in fees.
So, are any of you using a provider that you would like to share your experiences?
Thanks

Striker

I think I'm down to either using verizon fios as my phone service or using a google voice number to forward to our cell phones.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
BTW, Comcast phone is Not VOIP. They are just using their cable network to route calls, just like Ma Bell.

Striker

I bought a magic Jack last night. I'm going to test it's suitability as a backup to the cell phones.
I have it plugged in to my WHS and my house wiring. It took some significant research and setup because WHS isn't supported but it is working fine so far.

Stereodude

Not really a
BTW, Comcast phone is Not VOIP. They are just using their cable network to route calls, just like Ma Bell.
I'd say it's got more in common with VOIP than it doesn't. It doesn't use the public internet to route calls, but it is still very similar to VOIP

Sol

Storage is cool
These days everything is VOIP by that definition. All major telecoms providers use internal packet switched networks and most of them seem to be based on SIP. The only real difference is how much analog connection there is between you and the VOIP network. In the case of Comcasts network there is a device in the house that converts the analog phone signal to something digital, either that uses SIP or there is a device at the other end which converts it I'm not sure. I don't know that that makes it any more or less VOIP than a mobile phone or landline though.

Do you know what protocol the magic Jack ATA uses? The device sounds like a PITA but $20/year actually sounds like a reasonable price for the service if you could just use your own device (I.e. mobile phone with 802.11).

Striker

Sorry, I haven't done that sort of research. I thought it was worth the $40 to try it out when the alternative I was considering was just he cell phones.
I registered it on a windows 7 computer and it was virtually plug and play. Although it does pop up ads and there is an extended amount of add on sells during registration it was easy enough to say no to the offers and there multiple solutions to getting rid of the more intrusive aspects of the software.
When I get home later I'll add links to the research I've found in case anyone is interested or stumbles upon this looking to get it working on WHS.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd say it's got more in common with VOIP than it doesn't. It doesn't use the public internet to route calls, but it is still very similar to VOIP

There is a modem that attaches to the house phone wiring and the cable system. Same as Vonage.
When I think of VOIP, I think of somethig attached to a computer. VOIP stands for Voice over Internet Protocall. My computer is attached to the internet.
If I didn't have a computer in my house, but still had Comcast phone, would it still be called VOIP? Probably.

Confusing.