VMWare converter limited to 1Gbps per server

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I'm converting VMs from an Hyper-V cluster to a VSphere cluster. All the nodes in both clusters are connected with 10Gbps or dual 10Gbps links, just like the switches connecting both environments. However, the VMWare converter tool installed on the Hyper-V nodes only send data at 1Gbps to the VSphere nodes. I can send at gigabit speed from each Hyper-V node, but each individual node refuses to send data above 1Gbps. I've verified that no gigabit network port are connected on either the Hyper-V or VSphere nodes.

I have over 7TB of data to convert this weekend. At the current speed and considering the modification I need to do on each virtual machines after the convertion, it will take close to 30 hours. I'd like to do something else than just sit in from of a screen, patiently watching progression bars, during the weekend.

Is it a limitation of the converter tool?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
It took about 9 hours to convert ~60% of the machines. It sometimes reaches transfert speed over 250MBps, but more often than not, it stays below 90MBps per server.

I'll finish the remaining VMs this evening and during the night.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I doubt it. The source has 2x Xeon E5-2690v2 and the destination has 2x Xeon E5-2698v4. RAM also is not an issue (respectively 256GB and 512GB). It was after business hours, so the servers wheren't busy doing anything else.

Handruin

Administrator
Were the disks overloaded with having multiple conversions taking place at the same time? Where are you running the converter tool from?

You could try disabling SSL if you think the environment is secure enough that this won't cause you issues. Some reports suggest 2-6x performance increase with SSL off.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I'll try disabling SSL next time. The entire job last ~20 hours. The bottleneck probably was the drives from the source SAN, although they shouldn't have been doing much else.