VirtualBox

time

Storage? I am Storage!
"Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap" trying to run a Windows 2000 image. Last line in SafeMode is crdisk.sys.

Works fine in vmWare. Looks like I'm not alone with this, but no solutions that I can find. Has anyone here experienced something similar?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I couldn't resolve this. From the documentation, I believe it's a HAL issue, but I was unable to install the correct HAL by performing a Windows repair/upgrade.

I was able to create a fresh Windows 2000 installation in an pre-existing VirtualBox VM - the correct HAL installed okay - but that's fairly useless for what I wanted, which is to virtualize an existing Win2k image.

In contrast, I had no problems whatsoever with vmWare Player. It may not be elegant, but it works. It also had several times the non-VM disk I/O as VirtualBox, so Oracle has their work cut out for them to make VirtualBox anything more than a toy.

Unfortunately, when I ran a SQL Server simulation under vmWare, it was still less than half the speed of the physical equivalent. Another test was a quarter as fast. So I still have to question the deployment of virtualized production database servers accessing external storage.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
You may try uninstalling as many of the original drivers as you can from the machine before the P2V or while in VMware player.
I have seen openmanage software and Hp management software randomly affect speed and stability.

What service pack is the source machine on?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Which HAL is installed?
Halaacpi.dll (ACPI HAL with IO APIC)
Did you try twiddling the IO APIC switch?

A standard installation on a modern physical PC or VMware will usually result in Halaacpi.dll being chosen as most systems nowadays have an IO APIC and VMware chose to virtualize it by default (VirtualBox disables the IO APIC because it is more expensive to virtualize than a standard PIC).