Vancouver, BC Information

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
When Cliptin and I are in Seattle, we plan to head up to Vancouver for a day or so...any ideas on things that we should definitely see? So far, I see that you can rent sea kayaks in North Vancouver, which would be pretty sweet! But I know that there must be other highlights in that city that we shouldn't miss.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The fjor of B.C. are supposed to be a nice place to visit. I don't think you plan to go that far North, but a trip to see the killer whales should be quite an experience to live too.

And of course, there's Banf Park, but I don't think it's very close from Vancouver though.

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
Banff National Park is about 925 km east, so that's not doable.

You can get a pretty good idea of the landscape by driving north towards Whistler (which is 2 hours away) for however long you have.
There's lots of hiking (and extreme mountain biking) in the mountains just north of the city. The gondola up Grouse Mountain is neat if the clouds stay away.
If kayaking is your thing, be aware that Vancouver is a commercial port, so pick your area carefully.

As for city life, Yaletown is the current buzz place, lots of restaurants and shops.

Oh yeah, it rains sometimes.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
After disembarking our cruise ship on our honeymoon, we took a 3 hour bus tour of Vancouver.

- Prospect Point provided a nice lookout over the bay area. Short visit, though.
- Queen Elizabeth Park had an amazing garden. It also has every tree indigenous to Canada. I'm not much on trees, but the floral display was beautiful. Outstanding landscaping.
- There is a decently-sized China Town area if you like that sort of thing.
- We stopped in a park across the bay from the Canada Place Pier. It was pleasant & had some interesting totem poles.
- Canada Place Pier itself is supposedly a tourist attraction, but all we saw were the parts related to the cruise ships.

On your way to Vancouver, be prepared for customs at the border to take 20 - 45 minutes. The amount of car traffic going in either direction is high. Luckily, there is also a small park area .. I forget the name.

Everywhere in B.C. accepted US currency and the exchange rate was OK, although not great. We always recieved change in Canadian currency.

I've been meaning to get photos from the honeymoon posted to my domain but haven't had time to scale them down to a reasonable size.

- Fushigi

JSF

What is this storage?
Vancouver, along with Sydney and Rio de Janeiro, is one of the world’s most beautiful harbor cities. For a good impression of its setting, stroll the tide-lapped perimeter of Stanley Park, a microcosm of the wilderness that Vancouver displaced.

Drive west along Marine Drive to the University of British Columbia on Point Grey with its expansive endowment lands. Walk down the coastal bluffs to the beaches surrounding the university. If its to your taste, include “clothing optional” Wreck Beach.

Visit the tropical gardens of Queen Elizabeth Park. Push through the crowds of Gastown and adjacent Chinatown. Somewhere in the city you can sit down to any of the world’s cuisines.

Drive across Lions Gate Bridge and up Capilano canyon to the pedestrian suspension bridge. Continue on to Grouse Mountain for marvelous views of the city.

Take a 2 hour drive to one of the world’s most upscale ski resorts---Whistler. This affords a beautiful drive on the Upper Levels Highway along the east shore of Howe Sound. Off-season, with the present value of the Canadian dollar, you can stay at Whistler’s fine hotels for the price of Motel 6.

In an average year Vancouver gets 45 days of fog, 168 days of rain and 80 days without measurable sunshine. So take a raincoat and an umbrella.

It’s a glorious 600 mile drive from Vancouver to Lake Louise and nearby Banff, via the trans-Canada highway. It’s a further 200 miles from Banff to Jasper, but you will never encounter more beautiful, accessible mountain scenery. Sadly, the season is only June, July and August. I’ve encountered snow and frozen lakes in late May and early September.

Enjoy your trip, Joe.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I've been looking around for a mouse to put in bottle to take to Canada but I've had no luck so far. Any suggestions for a rodent substitute? :lol: