Usability of faster RAM

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've always thought you could use faster RAM than what the motherboard requires/can use. For instance, I've used 4 x 256MB PC-133 SDRAM in my 100MHz BX motherboard for the last 4 years without a hiccup. But I know of a few cases where this has caused problems. Hence the question.

Specifically, I have an Intel D845PT motherboard (845 chipset) that is supposed to use PC2100. It is presently running one stick, which CPU-z identified as Nanya PC2300 (142MHz). I'd like to pull this out and shove in 2 x PC3200 512MB sticks. Anything to be wary of?

According to my pal Ben, NewEgg is selling Kingmax 1GB PC3200 Dual Channel DDR for $98, and I'd like to jump on it.

As always, TIA!

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I usually check with Crucial. When you go to their site you select your motherboard and it will give you a list of all memory sticks that will work with it. This includes all the different memory types and speeds the chipset will run.

http://www.crucial.com/

Bozo :mrgrn:

Handruin

Administrator
Has anyone here used kingmax? Looks like a good deal, but how's the ram?

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I had Kingmax PC133 sticks in a board quite some time ago. No problems that I remember.

It appears that the SuperRAM line is the value line for Kingmax. As long as mubs isn't going to overclock (much) it should be fine.

Newegg customer reviews must always be taken with a grain of salt, of course. Still, the RAM that mubs is interested in, does have a batch of positive feedback on it.

Handruin

Administrator
I was going to say the same with newegg customer reviews. 5 star average (weird average I might add) out of 27 people isn't too shabby, but as you said, taken with a grain of salt.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
For DDR I think it helps that the ram have an entry in the SPD table for the speed you are going to run it at so the motherboard can have no issues in setting it up automatically. Otherwise manually setting it up might help if there is any problems.