Upgrade Lenovo laptop

time

Storage? I am Storage!
A client has a Lenovo X300, which comes with a 60GB SSD as standard. Unfortunately, that storage capacity is just too small these days.

I seem to recall that there are pitfalls in upgrading a Lenovo laptop, in that the BIOS will only recognize certain drives. What is the best choice of SSD to take it to 120GB or more?

Alternatively, I would be looking at a new T430 or similar (X1 Carbon?). The X300 had the last of the 16:10 displays, so I need at least 14" 16:9 to match the old 13.3". I see that manufacturers are starting to offer touchscreens on ultrabooks; is there anything in the wind from Lenovo (eg. Twist) or other 1st tier manufacturers?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The twist I've run in to with Lenovo laptops is that the internal controller writes a unique ID to drives as they are set up for the notebook. You can USE any drive you want, but you need to make sure that if the drive is going to be used on the internal controller, that it is in the internal slot while it is being configured. This means doing something that is a tiny bit counter intuitive: You need to pull the source drive and stick THAT on the USB/eSATA/Firewire interface and put the NEW drive on the internal controller prior to imaging the drive.

Otherwise, yeah, you get an "unrecognized drive" bullshit error.