United Devices to close...

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Well, to tell you the truth, I wasn't expecting an Intel-supported initiative to go awry... anyway, we might have to jump off this sinking ship...

What do you think of Stanford's Folding@Home? Cool, Biological Sciences macro-computing project, university-sponsored, and IMHO as useful as modern biology itself...

Take a peek, I believe if we should change, we should change as a team altogether to a project NOT too much populous, for us to make a real difference...

This is the Folding@Home members' distribution in the globe:
Folding@Home%20Map.png

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Pradeep said:
...as it allows dial up users to cache work for days/weeks before connecting and uploading results/dl'ing new work...

What's a dial-up user...? :lol:

No, not the Genome again... :evil: I'm sick of analyzing theoretical stuff. We better stick to a more practical project. Besides, protein folding can even be used for nanotechnology implementations that include the IT world! :wink:

PS. Just because you don't have Mad Cows over there doesn't mean protein folding is useless... :p

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Hehe... bear in mind that my UD works only as a screensaver. Not 24/7 like most of you... :evil:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Tannin said:
Started out late at #30, up to #23 now. Look out Prof, you're the next one to eat my dust!

You shouldn't feel so smug: I started a week after you (2/12/02 vs. 2/5/02), and have moved from 31 to 14 (18561 pts. vs. your 4411 pts.) This is a competition, right? Most of the people that I have passed are not submitting results any more; Just click on the person and see when the last result was turned in. It is easy to pass those that have fallen and are now immobile. :lol:

Even Clocker has moved from 6th to 4th during my watch.

Prof. You do not have to have it as a screen saver; You computer will run just fine while it is operating. It has an ultra-low priority so that even if it is running virtually everything else will run first. Thus, it does not slow anything down while running. The only thing that I have found that it actually interferes with are highly video intensive 3-d graphics games.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Even Clocker has moved from 6th to 4th during my watch.

I took a week break when I was on vacation. I turned my machines off because I figured they would lose connectivity during my Comcast.net transition to the new network anyway. I've been pleased with my progress since starting my two boxes back up. I was 7th and am now in a game of tit-tat for 3rd place. 3rd through 6th or 7th are pretty tightly grouped.

Keep crunching guys!

For my next project, I'm considering doing the Alzheimer's research since a couple members of my family have been stricken by the disease. More info here:

http://www.intel.com/cure/download.htm

Clockrt

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
P5-133XL said:
The only thing that I have found that it actually interferes with are highly video intensive 3-d graphics games.
IL-2 Sturmovik. It is losing frames with UD on. What the heck? I leave my computer on 24/7. Half the day I'm away at my Uni. It can work half the day, the rest is for me... :evil:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
What is our team account # for the Genome@home project? I downloaded it, but I don't know what team your are.

I crunch for Overclockers-Network :p

I don't think there is an SR genome team, perhaps you could create one and post the team number?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
About the Genome@Home thing, I dunno how to create a team. The only thing I found to customize my account ask me for a username and a team #, not a team name. It would be great if we could create a StorageForum.net team.

For now, I only run the Genome@Home on a single system (Athlon XP 1500+ on a K7S5A & 256MB DDR) about 16-18 hours a day. I'm doing ~3 genes a day.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
About the Genome@Home thing, I dunno how to create a team. The only thing I found to customize my account ask me for a username and a team #, not a team name. It would be great if we could create a StorageForum.net team.

OK I created a Genome@Home team called StorageForum_net. Only underscores are allowed so no dot was possible. Team number is 678294834.

Happy Crunching!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
To change your client settings to the new team number, delete a file called ghclient.cfg in your genome directory. When you next run the client it will ask you for the setup details again and you can input the team number.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I think we can also change our user name and team # by executing the command "ghclient.exe -config". I'll try to delete the file you mentionned, but I'm pretty sure executing my command liine would do allow to do the same.

Thanks for creating the team.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
I think we can also change our user name and team # by executing the command "ghclient.exe -config". I'll try to delete the file you mentionned, but I'm pretty sure executing my command liine would do allow to do the same.

Yup, that has the same effect :)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I think I'm going to move on to Folding@Home. I've been thinking a lot about Alzheimer's lately since I have been visiting my grandmother (she's 90) in the nursing home.

WHO WANTS TO TAKE OVER AS CAPTAIN OF THE UD TEAM?

I just joined your team, Pradeep. I just started folding!

Folding@Home (version 2.17)
The Stanford Alzheimers and Amyloidogenic Disease Research Program

Clocker

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Are the GENOME AND FOLDING programs exclusive from eachother? I'm not sure if I should join Pradeeps team for form my own....I really want to do this Alzheimer's thingy...

Are they the same?

C

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
You may want to check with Prof.Wizard, I believe he has the team details for Folding@home.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
Pradeep said:
Uhmmm, Clocker, that team I created is for Genome@home. I don't think the teams are interchangeable with Folding@home (tho both projects are run by the same incompetents). I have switched over to distributed folding.

http://www.distributedfolding.org/index.html
Why do you say they are incompetent?

I just get sick of some of the crap they put us thru. As a matter of fact, I am back crunching genome@home, distributedfolding seems even worse in terms of bandwidth utilisation (not good on my dial up dl limited account).

Buck, the genome results can be found here:

http://genomeathome.stanford.edu/teams/StorageForum_net.html

I don't see you yet, but maybe you haven't sent any results in yet?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
Hmmm..... What are we? 85 members? Ars has quite a few thousand, I think If you gentlemen will allow me to guide you on matters of stategy, I advise this: we cheat!

Some have already tried Tony. People were building up totals of millions. Fortunately the cheaters were discovered and their results were stripped away from them :) They don't do genome anymore.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I never head back from the Prof. I decided to start Genoming on The Jo Jo's team.

I like the Folding UI better though. If someone wants to start a Folding team and let me know about it before I get too deep into Genoming, I'll join it!

Clocker

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The folding and genoming projects will soon merge together so there's no reason to create an additional team IMO. The Genome@home 2.0 client will match both projects as you can read just here.

BTW, we are now ranked 600th as a team among the whole 1169 teams participating in the Genome@home Project. I'm sure we can reach easily the 400th spot by the end of the week :)

HellDiver

Learning Storage Performance
Shit! Looks like I missed all the fun!!!

Unfortunately I haven't been to StorageForum lately at all and only rarely to SR, and it looks like a truckload of things have changed! StorageForum turning into a full-blown website with news, whistles and bells, Clocker quitting SR UD Cancer Research team and all... If it wasn't for me checking the UD stats today, I wouldn't even know about any of this (seen that team has no captain and that Clocker left :( )!!!

:?: :?: :?: So, who's running for UD SR Team captain position, and where does one vote (and - come think of it - gets listed as a runner up) ? :?: :?: :?:

Because although I've had my fair share of disagreements with UD (which showed on their forums <cough>), I'm still with Cancer Research to the bitter end (which should come within a couple of months AFAIK)...

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Clocker said:
I never head back from the Prof. I decided to start Genoming on The Jo Jo's team.

I like the Folding UI better though. If someone wants to start a Folding team and let me know about it before I get too deep into Genoming, I'll join it!

Clocker
Where did you try to contact me man? If it was last week, yes, I have been away...

I'm willing to to join a Folding@home team anytime. Just create it and let me know... Capt. Clocker!

So it is definite that UD closes huh? Strange, cause I've seen some new target molecules lately while scanning...

HellDiver

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Was the SR UD team issue resolved in private? And why isn't anyone answering me - is there some embargo on me I should know about?

BTW, Prof, I can see you're the captain now... So, how about at least restoring the SR team logo?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Quite a few have moved on to Genome@home, I have no idea what's happening with UD, but no secret commitee meetings that I know of :p

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
If you have the logo, please send it to my e-mail address. I'll post it promptly.

I know many have been fleeing to Genome@home... please, at least DO go at UD's Member Services and unsubscribe from the team. I need to know who is really in or who is not.

The UD project is alive and working! Even if the "think" app closes down, I don't believe UD will. We'll probably move to other meta-computing themes... (nuclear weapons, anyone? hehe)

HellDiver

Prof.Wizard said:
If you have the logo, please send it to my e-mail address. I'll post it promptly.
I believe you should get in touch with Clocker - he was the captain, so he was the one to provide the image. Dunno who made it for him, though...

The UD project is alive and working! Even if the "think" app closes down, I don't believe UD will.
Well, UD certainly won't - they're "for profit" company selling other people's CPU cycles (somehow reminds me of Danny DeVito's "OPM") to other companies. UD Cancer Research and then Anthrax Research were their philantropic endeavors to get publicity. So, they'll be around. But once THINK dealing with Cancer is done with I'm out. Until the next time UD decides to do some good for the mankind, at least.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Image Uploaded!

The UD SR team logo is up again!

Let me remind you that the team STILL exists. For those of you who haven't fled to the Genome@home project...

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
CougTek said:
BTW, we are now ranked 600th as a team among the whole 1169 teams participating in the Genome@home Project. I'm sure we can reach easily the 400th spot by the end of the week :)

Indeed. We are ranked 326 as of right now.