Un-fdisk

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Hi,

I accidentally fdisk'ed my drive by mistake, is there anything specifically designed to recover from this situation, like unformat.exe but for fdisk?

Or shall I try generic recovery software?

Thanks

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
NRG = mc² said:
Hi,

I accidentally fdisk'ed my drive by mistake
Sorry but :rofl:

I heard that so many times from wannabee geeks that nowadays, I cannot help but laugh.

I'm such an evil man...

I don't know how to recover an fdisk'ed drive. Maybe with an old version Norton Utilities for DOS, but that would be an exhausting task (and only if your drive is formatted in FAT). You should also try the disk utility from your HDD manufacturer. I've never checked (or remember if I did because I never needed it) if Seatools, Data Lifeguard, Maxblast or DFT integrate a recovery utility.

How can/did you fdisk'ed your main drive by mistake?

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Well as always you try to be heplful to someone who cannot fdisk their drive and of course go ahead and fdisk yours by mistake. yes I know I should have disconnected mine, I usually do but I was in a hurry and wanted to get rid of this guy. I've also been up from very early and not really awake.

Laugh on Frenchie :mrgrn:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
NRG = mc² said:
Well as always you try to be heplful to someone who cannot fdisk their drive and of course go ahead and fdisk yours by mistake.
A bit late to ask but, why did you tried that ON YOUR OWN BOX instead of the student's system? Nevermind.

It must have been quite an entertaining class, especially when the teacher realized what he did :)

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Thanks everyone, I will try your suggestions.

Coug, I was not going to go all the way to this guys house to fix it so I told him to bring it over... To further add to the problem I was using the version of fdisk that incorrectly reports sizes above 60gb.

It showed me that there were two partitions, one of 10gb and one of 8gb, on a 40gb drive, So I thought he must have been trying to get it working previously and thats why there were those partitions on there - my drive certainly had no partitions like that so I thought it cant be mine either way and went ahead and fdisked it... :oops:

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
CougTek said:
I'm such an evil man...
No you're not! :roll:
I'm only terrified by the idea to ever have a tech support issue and have to post here... :mrgrn:

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Thanks Doug, that app saved the day.

Most of my stuff was backed up, but not my emails relating to work and some stuff I was selling on ebay.

Handruin

Administrator
NRG = mc² said:
Thanks Doug, that app saved the day.

Most of my stuff was backed up, but not my emails relating to work and some stuff I was selling on ebay.

I'm glad to hear it worked for you!

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
For future endevers of helping someone, maybe a copy of Partition Magic should be used. At least you can make a positive ID of the drives.

Bozo :D