Try to change RAM, PC won't boot...

SteveC

Storage is cool
Here's a strange one:
I have 1 256MB PC-133, 1 128MB PC-133, and 1 64MB PC-100 DIMM in my ASUS A7V133. I'm trying to take out the 64MB, and add it to a spare PC I'm building, but when I take it out, the computer won't boot. It'll power up, and the drives will spin up, but there's no video, and no error beeps. If I put it back in, it'll boot up fine. This happens for each of the DIMMs. Even if I change the order they are in, it won't boot. I've tried every combination I can think of, with no luck. I've also run each of the DIMMs through Memtest86 on my other PC, and there aren't any errors. I think this is a sign the MB is finally dying. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, are these XP1700s at Newegg the ones that overclock well? If the MB is dying, it may be time for a new, cheap system.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
42U$ shipped for T'bred B. Life's unfair. Lowest price I have on them is 80$CDN (~55U$).There's never been such a great bang for the buck as far as I can remember.

About the RAM, parhaps your motherboard only supports RAM modules with 16 chips on it and the 256MB and 128MB modules are 8 chips modules.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
BTW, from the picture they show of the CPU, not only is it a T'bred B, but it's also one of the 1.5V models, those that overclock the best. Not surprising since that by now, that must be pretty much all there is to sell at that rating for the Athlon XP.

Link to AXDA1700DLT3C @ NewEgg.

SteveC

Storage is cool
I may just go for a system upgrade, then. It'll be about $200 for the CPU, 512MB RAM, and MB, and a nice boost over my current system. I've been putting it off for long enough.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
so you cant boot the PC with any of these sticks of RAM individually? only when all 3 are used at the same time? have you checked RAM timing settings or tried clearing the CMOS?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Look at the chips on each PCB. Does it look like they have the same number of leads and the same height off the PCB?

SteveC

Storage is cool
blakerwry said:
so you cant boot the PC with any of these sticks of RAM individually? only when all 3 are used at the same time?
Yep, that's basically the problem.

have you checked RAM timing settings or tried clearing the CMOS?
I have it set to 100MHz, and the most conservative settings. I can use them individually, or combined on both of the other MBs I have (a BX, and another KT133a). I've also used the 256MB DIMM alone in this PC for over a year, so I know it did work previously.

Anyway, I ordered the XP1700, 512MB PC2700, and an Abit NF7-S. Problem solved.

zx

Learning Storage Performance
Lol, that's only an excuse for upgrading :lol: .

Anyway, you also should try loading defaults in the BIOS (if it's now already done).

SteveC

Storage is cool
I have it running at 166x12 (2.0GHz) at the default voltage (1.6V), so I'm happy now. I'll wait until this starts feeling slow before I start pushing it, to see how far it'll go.