Tourism operator saves girl in croc attack

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
A Cape York resort operator says he had no reservations about diving onto the back of a crocodile to rescue an employee's daughter.

Roy Turner gouged at the eyes of the 2.5-metre crocodile to rescue 11-year-old Hannah Thompson.

Hannah was in a group of children swimming in clear shallow water at Margaret Bay when the crocodile attacked.

Mr Turner says he has been around crocodiles for most of his working life and believes aggression is the only way to intimidate the reptiles.

"You've got to fight and if there's a few of you and it's not deep water and it's not murky water, if he gets you down you're gone but you'll generally come out on top," he said.

The child needed hospital treatment at Thursday Island but was not badly hurt.

Hannah's father, Terry, says he was not surprised by the bravery displayed by his boss.

He says Mr Turner's response to jump onto the crocodile and gouge at its eyes was typical.

"It was a bit of a shock to me but she was in good hands," he said. "Roy knows what's going on out there - been at it for many years and she was in good hands, not a drama really."

Mr Turner was cooking lunch when he heard the girl's screams.

"I saw the shadow of the croc in the water and all the turmoil and I saw Hannah but he actually brought his head up while I was midway down in mid-air and I landed cleanly behind his head and I got a finger in his left eye straight away," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1082649.htm

Now that's a boss I'd be happy working for.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
This was a young, inexperienced croc (only 2.5m). It hadn't yet learnt how dangerous it is to attack the locals.