Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tried & True: Punch Cards

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Okay, so the time is coming for me to upgrade my system. I think this time around I'll actually buy myself parts instead of just mixing together leftovers. I think I'll go with a s939 solution. But, what Operating System should I use? Currently I'm using Windows XP Professional. It runs all of my applications, which are made for Windows. Should I stay within the Windows Family or switch? If I stay within Windows, should I upgrade to another version? I'm sure I could eventually figure this out on my own, but your opinions are appreciated.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I was thinking CP/M, but since it wasn't listed as an option I went with XP. Reasons: If this is an upgrade, you can re-use the OS license at no cost (just the activation pain). You already know it. You already have & know the apps. No data format migrations.

If you want to be adventurous and are willing to spend a few $, though, you might want to pick up the VMWare Developer License. At $299 a year you basically get all the VMWare goodies so you could run practically any of the above concurrently. By using ESX or GSX-on-Windows as a base and doing all of your work in a VM session, rebuilding a corrupted OS is as easy as restoring it's image file from backup.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd stick with XP. There is no real advantage to moving to Server 2003 if you are using it as a workstation.

Bozo

ddrueding

Fixture
Im going to add my gripe of the day.

Those that intentionally go looking for grief have too much free time. Stick with XP and find another hobby.

;)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Thanks for the feedback so far. Cost is not an issue with the operating systems listed. Also, how about the 64-bit version of XP?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You should use the Mac OSX just because it hasn't been released for the Intel Platform yet and if you can get a copy then try it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've got a copy of it. :p
The motherboard it's supposed to work with is a $50 Asrock (asus) POS with integrated Intel video. I can't bring myself to buy one.

Anyway, I see no compelling reason to stick with Windows if you don't play games. Install SuSE. If there's a Windows app you still need (Quickbooks?), I'll bet it will run just fine with Codeweavers 5 (commercial WINE).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why change if you own the desired applications and XP is working for you? One can always set up a dual boot with something else later on.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I hate XP too. I'm still on Win2K, but Microsoft has already started to limit the updates on it. I would go with Server 2003 if I no longer had extra Win2K licenses. I tried it when it was still in beta and I liked it better than WinXP.

Going to Linux will ask you a lot of time to learn how to set it up to your own taste. Unless you do have a lot of free time, I wouldn't go that route if I were you. Stick with what you know.

And Mac OS-X is just Darwin with a revamped GUI. There's nothing special about it.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You could have issues with XP 64 and a lack of drivers. That's my only complaint with it.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Bozo said:
You could have issues with XP 64 and a lack of drivers. That's my only complaint with it.

Or you could have issues with shitty XP 64 drivers that suck. :wink:

Nvidia 4 chipset, at least.

GS

Adcadet

Storage Freak
ddrueding said:
Im going to add my gripe of the day.

Those that intentionally go looking for grief have too much free time. Stick with XP and find another hobby.

;)

I partly agree. I voted for XP, since you already have it so it will cost you nothing. Server 2003 is nice, but I'm not sure it's worth the money. If you are looking to play around, I very much recommend Linux as a secondary OS to play with. That's what I'm doing these days, with WinXP and SuSE. So far my SuSE experience is mixed, and it has thus far failed to become my OS of choice. Perhaps when I have more time to tweak it I'll begin using it more as a primary OS.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Santilli said:
Bozo said:

Nvidia 4 chipset, at least.
GS
That hasn't been my experience, Greg.

I agree with Bozo, though. The major areas are printer drivers, and for some strange reason, TV cards (several months overdue). As Mercutio pointed out, you can also run foul of old 16-bit installers for 32-bit software.

Just so everyone knows. I hate XP. However, I have yet to find an alternative to ClearType, which I think is almost mandatory for LCD monitors.

Rather than invest weeks of effort moving from Win2K to XP, I'd rather spend it on XP64. Dual boot is one option.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
time said:
Santilli said:
Bozo said:

Nvidia 3 chipset, at least.
GS
That hasn't been my experience, Greg.

I agree with Bozo, though. The major areas are printer drivers, and for some strange reason, TV cards (several months overdue). As Mercutio pointed out, you can also run foul of old 16-bit installers for 32-bit software.

Just so everyone knows. I hate XP. However, I have yet to find an alternative to ClearType, which I think is almost mandatory for LCD monitors.

Rather than invest weeks of effort moving from Win2K to XP, I'd rather spend it on XP64. Dual boot is one option.

Typo: Should have been Nvidia 3, not 4. Even though it was supposed to
be XP64 compatible, I had problems, and, I think, the ATI 700XL driver wasn't very good, either.

I wonder if XP has 64 bit drivers for my HP 4000N?

GS

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I installed the free-be XP64 version on an Intel motherboard without problems.
But, I ran into problems getting drivers for a 3Com NIC, an Adaptec 1210SA SATA RAID card, and some other hardware. That was a couple of months ago so maybe things have improved.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I think I'll just stick with XP Professional for now. Thanks for all of your input. Now it's time to work on the hardware.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Okay, on the hardware side of things, here is what I was looking at:

AMD ADA3500DAA4BP - Tray
Thermaltake CL-P0200
Asus A8V-E SE (yeah, I know it's Asus, but it's also VIA)
Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 x 2
WD740GD - free
Samsung SP2004C
ATI-Sapphire X1800XL (AOE III will look awesome)
OCZ OCZ520ADJ or Seasonic S12-600
Antec SLK3700BQE

I'd like to add support for watching cable television on this machine. Recommended cards would be appreciated.

ddrueding

Fixture
Buck said:
Asus A8V-E SE (yeah, I know it's Asus, but it's also VIA)

I had to read this twice. ASUS bad and VIA good? What is the world coming to?!

I know ASUS is overpriced, but I can't complain about their quality. And I've never had any issues with nForce4 motherboards. I find them really easy to work with. So much so that I haven't even thought of trying VIA; even though I am sure they have resolved all the issues they had years ago.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Wake up and smell the napalm, David.

ASUS have been producing, for the main part, over-priced, over-rated crap since the Athlon Classic came out. VIA have been the chipset maker of choice for about the same length of time.

Welcome to the Century of the Fruitbat.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
On this matter I will concur with Tannin.

Tannin may live in the upside-down part of the world where nvidia makes acceptable products, but Asus boards are teh suck and Via-based boards are great and have been for some time.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
What Tannin said!
What Mercutio said!

Except: The last VIA MB that I tried to setup was a Tyan for the PIII. That sucked donkey balls. But maybe they have improved???

Asus just plain sucks gangreen donkey balls no matter what chipset is on them.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
VIA were always acceptable for Intel CPUs in my opinion. And I do mean "acceptable" - not "great" or "just fine" or "excellent performers", and not "complete crap" or "substandard" or "untrustworthy" - just ....acceptable.

Tyan and Supermicro, from my limited experience with them, don't ever seem to do anything especially well when they step outside of their experience zone. Many years ago now, but I remember having Tyan and Supermicro HX and BX boards which were beautifully made and examples of how it should be done. But the few boards I tried of theirs which were on other chipsets or for other CPUs left me feeling that they were out of their zone.

I often think that making computer hardware is like cooking. Just because a chef makes the best Peking Duck on the planet, it doesn't mean his deserts are going to be anything special.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
ddrueding said:
I had to read this twice. ASUS bad and VIA good? What is the world coming to?!

I know ASUS is overpriced, but I can't complain about their quality.

I'll have to agree with Tannin and Bozo on this one. ASUS have always been overpriced AFAICT, but since the P4, and maybe even the late P!!!, their defect rates (according to fora I frequent), seems to have gone up. From what I see, when they work, they work well. When they don't--welcome to Hell baby! This smacks of patchy QC.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Re: Asus boards.

Well my opinion of Asus is on record, however, I do have to admit to be interested in the A8N-VM CSM

I'd like to add support for watching cable television on this machine. Recommended cards would be appreciated.
What kind of cable are we talking about Buck -- analog or digital? And do you have any ambitions for HDTV?

Recommendations in the waiting.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CityK said:
What kind of cable are we talking about Buck -- analog or digital? And do you have any ambitions for HDTV?Recommendations in the waiting.

Digital. No current ambitions for HDTV, but that may come down the pike in a few years.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
mangyDOG said:
These TV cards are great http://www.comprousa.com/New/en/product/vmt300.html. Not to expensive, does digital and analogue, cable and free to air. It can turn the computer on and off (not standby or hibernate but fully off) and quality is pretty good.
Unfortunately mangy, that card won't be any good to Buck, as its a DVB-T card ... While pretty much the rest of the world has opted for DVB standards, the three amigos that constitute N.A. (and a few other wackos like S. Korea) have chosen to use ATSC for broadcast (i.e OTA). For digital cable, while you upside-downers are likely looking at DVB-C, we upsiders in N.A. are looking at a hodgepodge of propreitary networks that largely conform to SCTE/ITU-T J.83, Annex B. standards ....eventually, the whole shebang (here in N.A) is likely to end up following OpenCable, but that will be a good number of years away, considering the capital investments wrapped up in the hodgepodge.

Additionally, regarding the analog side of the coin, the card is probably only good for PAL, whereas we North American Upsiders use NTSC.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Buck said:
Digital. No current ambitions for HDTV, but that may come down the pike in a few years.
Okay. Here's the scoop.

Digital signals delivered by:
- encapsulating the video and audio streams in what is known as a MPEG Transport Stream
- the TS is modulated onto an RF carrier signal ... cable happens to use quadrature amplitude modulation i.e. QAM

Digital signals are received by:
- the tuner brings in the RF signal and converts it to an intermediate frequency (IF)
- the TS is then extracted from the IF signal by the process of demodulation (i.e you need a QAM demodulator for cable) ... this process also involves error correction, to try to unsure that the packets the tuner have received accurately describe the original TS
- these first two points above constitute the frontend operations of your receiver. After they have been performed, the signal is sent to the backend of the reciever or to a host processor for decoding of the MPEG TS.
- once the TS is decoded, the signal is appropriately routed to the viewing device

Now, what all that means is this. Your typical analog cards can't work with digital signals (which should be somewhat obvious by the names analog and digital) ... that is, you can't go from your wall straight into the card. They can, however, take a decoded signal outputted by a STB over, say s-video, and then do their stuff (which essentially boils down to ADC into a RGB bit stream) so that you can view the signal on your computer....and, indeed, many people do. Keep in mind, this is only good for standard definition ... you can use a HDTV STB, but the analog out is down res'ed to SDTV (will still look good mind you).

Digial cards are, on the otherhand, obviously able to take the signal off the wire straight from the wall to the card. The problem, however, is that most cable networks encyrpt a large portion of their channel lineups - both SDTV and HDTV. Unfortunatley, this renders the premium content unaccesable by computer cards...you will only be able to access this content through TV via a rented STB or cablecard with provides provisional access. And before you ask -- no, there is no consumer level computer card that can accept the hugeassmongous uncompressed signal sent over component, dvi or whatever out of the stb (if you have ~3K I can point you to a few prosumer/pro cards..but your going to have to upgrade your system to PCI-X).. ..anyways, you may however be lucky and can use firewire from the stb to a plain old firewire card (ie. no tv capture card required) on the computer though! but encyrption issues (5C) also are a factor here ....

So where was I....what was I looking for? was it a chipmunk? No, no that wasn't it. Was it a squirrel? No, no, that wasn't it either. Was it a capture card? Yeah, yeah, that's what I was looking for!

Anyways, to make this story short, the selection of cards that are capable of working with digital cable is rather a short list currently ... and remember its just unencrypted sources. But as a bonus, there isn't anything dedicated to SDTV only, rather they work for both SDTV and HDTV sources (given the nature of the delivery and rception is identical).

I should also remark that what is recievable (i.e. what is unencrypted) on any given network will vary from caable provider to provider. You'll likely find a bunch of SDTV channels, a few HDTV channels that likely represent the locals that you can recieve OTA, perhaps one or two other HDTV, and its possible that you can also tap into the VOD (video on demand --- by the nature of how its transmitted, its susceptable to allowing you can to see what kind of smut your neighbours have ordered :D (note: stb won't, but your card will!) ....you can even watch them pause and rewind! Hillarious)

Now after that whole speel, here's a few cards to consider:

- MIT MyHD MDP-130 ... expensive; hardware MPEG decoder (which is the reason why its $); stable proprietary software; no 3rd party software support in windows; currently not supported in Linux;

- Dvico Fusion 5 (Gold, Lite, USB) ... "software" MPEG decoding cards; proprietary software sucks, but currently only way to watch digital cable in windows (because of MS's stupid BDA driver model); 3rd party software support for OTA sources; both cable and OTA well supported in Linux (except USB model currently); believe OS X would work too

There are a few others too, but I would have to explain why you might not want to consider them just currently ... and I really got to run.....

- Avermedia A180

(currently won't work with cable in Windows

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Good information CityK, thanks for your help. The MyHD card has really peaked my interest. However, I'm not concerned about recording. Basically, as my primary office system, I'd like to be able to stay in my office, have a cuppa tea, and watch a little television once in a while.