Televisions as monitors: What are you using, and why?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
My total was $591.26 with shipping and shows the coupon worth $37.74. Maybe something expired.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
What TVs would people not recommend as a monitor? For office use, I'm thinking that you don't need 120Hz, and I'm even wondering if 1366x768 would suffice for someone with vision problems.

Are some units too bright, for instance?

ddrueding

Fixture
I wouldn't recommend anything plasma due to the burn-in issues. If someone has vision issues, 1366x768 might even be a bonus. I think brightness is adjustable on all of them. Of course, you want to make sure it has an HDMI port so you can connect using DVI and not VGA.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Time:

I found for the money, a 120 MHZ 1080p with a 10 bit screen makes a big difference.
This is pretty much the VXT series from Vizio, or, the Sony's use 10 bit on their 120 MHZ or more models.

I just watched Super Seven, about the africian animals that that phrase describes, and, it was truly incredible.

Vizio also makes a 32" VXT, but, it was nearly the same price as the 37".

The ATI 4670 puts out 1920 pretty easily, and, the quality is really incredible. I also have vision problems, and, I like being able to sit way back, and still see things very clearly.

I really don't think I'll ever buy another computer monitor, but never say never....

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Are some units too bright, for instance?

Brightness can be turned down. Picture can be adjusted generally. There's a bit of a down side if you're right up close, which is that the pixel pitch on TVs is higher than true monitors, but I don't think most people would notice that, and the screen size can more than make up for it.

I'm giving some thought right now to a used Vizio 32" screen for my office PC.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
If you own a 1080P display and a BluRay drive, you must watch the BBC "Planet Earth" series. It is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on screen.
FYI the follow-up series "life" is coming in March. And "planet earth: Extremes" is running now, although it seems to be existing p.e. footage with Mike Rowe narrating.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Walked into Costco today, and, they have an 80 dollar Rebate on the 32" XVT Vivio, that means about 450 dollars.

It was 529 or so.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
At this point if considering buying a receiver it may be worth waiting for the versions supporting HDMI 1.4 to be released. I look at a receiver as a multi year purchase and this will be big in coming years.

Re: plasma, latest plasmas from Panny etc don't seem to have any burn in issues, having the screen saver on blank with 5 minute delay would alleviate this completely. Having a pixel that emits light as opposed to blocking something generated from afar makes a huge difference in picture quality. Add to that 1000 lines of moving picture resolution and LCD only makes sense when you have very bright ambient light to overcome.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Apparently, the Vizio XVT series use IPS panels. If so, no wonder Greg's knocked out with his.

Unfortunately, Vizio isn't available in this part of the world. And just to horrify you, even the LG that Fushigi linked to sells for about US$850 here ...

Pradeep, why would anyone using a TV as a monitor care about HDMI 1.4?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Pradeep, duno about that because there is always something better coming along but I just got a onkyo HT-RC180 and it basically addresses every complaint I was fighting with on my old yamaha HTR-5490. All setup is so much easier with the audyssey setup process it just hands you all your speaker selection, level calibration, distances, crossover settings etc in a process that takes 10 minutes with all that is required by you is to follow instructions on screen and be quiet (that's on screen too). On the old receiver I was constantly jacking around with volume and sometimes bass during movies because I don't enjoy a super loud movie and I suppose neighbors don't either but now at the same quieter listening levels I am hearing so much more than I was before so all those buzzwords really did equal, for me, the quieter home listening environment improvement that THX Select2 Plus, MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, and Dynamic Volume all say they should. Bottom line is I might have been able to work with my old receiver at the one volume level I liked but it would have taken a lot of time, skills and equipment that I don't have only to be wiped away at another listening level.

Anyway I don't see that HDMI 1.4 brings anything to the table audio wise. Sure on a receiver it must pass all that stuff through if you want o use it up stream but I think there are ways around that anyway, you could take your HDMI 1.4 media player split it and send one to the monitor and one to the receiver if you really had to, right?

Edit, oh and isn't the plasma burn in issue a dead subject??

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Pradeep, why would anyone using a TV as a monitor care about HDMI 1.4?

My comment was regarding receivers. 3D, 2K and 4K rez support seem to be the biggies, along with ethernet over hdmi (which requires new cables).

For a TV as a computer screen now, 1.3 is fine and dandy, and certainly delivers TrueHD and DTS Master Audio with no problems.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I guess I can justify the Samsung 21.5" monitors being 175.-270 dollars, only because they are a life warranty at Costco.

When comparing the Samsung computer monitors to this Vizio 37", and the value, I feel used and abused when I look at how much I paid for the Samsungs, and, what I got for it...

Stereodude

Not really a
Are you sure about that? Computers and TVs (and some other things) only have a 90 day return policy and a 2 year warranty. Are you sure that Computer Monitors are treated differently?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
While they are always changing, when I buy a monitor, it does NOT fall under the 'special limited' policy, or hasn't in the past.

Haven't checked on the website, but, the last Samsung monitor I returned just required cables and software, plus the monitor for a full store usable refund, and, only because I didn't have the receipt, was I not given cash back.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Planet Earth on BR looks incredible. Also, anything Pixar would look really good.

So does

Blue Planet, filmed in IMax, and by NASA from space, Seems the better you start with...
the better the Bluray result.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The International was a pretty impressive visual movie for bluray IMO, very sharp.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
One HUGE plus is I finally have a screen I can read the entire history of National Geographic
on.
Due to in part being a port from the Mac, and, seriously lacking normal functionality, on a normal screen it's nearly impossible to get the page large enough to read the type, and, when you do, it's a real pain to move around the issue, page by page.

With this screen I can read the stuff, and not have to do a bunch of gymnastics
to change pages...

I've had the program from about 2001, gave it to my girlfriend, but, we could never get it to be either functional, or enjoyable to use on any normal PC, with a 19-21.5"
monitor.

ddrueding

Fixture
Due to the Eyefinity Displayport limitation, I'm looking for ~40" LCDs that support Displayport in. Bonus points if it supports 120Hz, is LED, and costs around $1k.

Thanks for any help!

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
So if we find one that cost ~700$, we should not bother mentioning it, right? Good, because there is none. In the meanwhile, you could buy that one and use it with this cable or this adapter and be done with it.
IIRC, you need to use active (around $100) adapters with Eyefinity.
Edit: Need active adapters if using more than 2 displays (per card?); see note 1 here.

ddrueding

Fixture
I had hesitated about the active adapters before, as I had issues with the first one I got. The new one seems to be working well, though (one day and counting, fingers crossed).

That is a heck of a deal Coug, perhaps it is almost time to pull the trigger on that.

Stereodude

Not really a
Buying anything with 3D support right now is a sucker move. It's got an extreme price premium, and they're bound to change the technology shortly rendering your "investment" wasted.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Buying anything with 3D support right now is a sucker move. It's got an extreme price premium, and they're bound to change the technology shortly rendering your "investment" wasted.

Buying a TV that doesn't support 120Hz via it's HDMI input would be unwise at this point in time.

This is like the period when you could buy an HDTV back in the day, and it's HD input consisted of a component connection. Then came DVI equipped sets, but only some supported HDCP. Later to be "replaced" by HDMI. If you didn't pick a TV with HDCP functionality, the digital connection was useless for Blu-ray or DVD upconversion etc.

Yes, there is an early adopter premium, that should dissipate as all CE manufacturers release their 3D models.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The one downside I see is three cooling fans making some noise. When using the shutter glasses brightness to the eyes is dropped in half, so chances are you will be maxing out the brightness of the display, where normal 2D without glasses would be blinding.

3D killing the planet via increased electricity consumption confirmed.

ddrueding

Fixture
I really dislike plasma, and to be honest can't believe it isn't dead yet. The pixel pitch is appalling, and the whole concept of burn-in is just crazy.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I could not handle wearing glasses and then 3D goggles on top of that. I foresee headaches after a while. Does everyone just stare at the TV continuously for hours? How does one look around the room at other objects/people, or check the computer? :colors:

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I just tried Samsung's 3d TV while wearing glasses. The 3d glasses supplied fit quite comfortably around my standard glasses totally encapsulating them.