• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who cares

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SteveC

Storage is cool
Dozer,

At least your team didn't blow a 24-point 3rd quarter lead, and then have the referees miss a blatant pass interference call that should have given them another play. Talk about heartbreaking.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Go "Who Cares"!!! Whoo!

Brought to you by the commission for people who think football needs edged weapons or at least that scrotum-biting aussie soccer guy.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The best thing about the superbowl is usually the commercials. Couldn't care less about the game itself & the half-time 'entertainment' is usually rather suspect.

- Fushigi

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Can anyone link me to the actual rules of American Football? No one I have ever met knows all of them, last night the third quarter with Oakland took frigging forever. Some players are "eligible" to receive the ball and others aren't? Any game that has what, 9 referees?, is grossly overcomplicated. And 15 minute quarters? Gimme a break.

To me the Superbowl is a good excuse for a piss-up, not as good as a five day Boxing Day Test of course but still not bad.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Fushigi said:
the half-time 'entertainment' is usually rather suspect.
That's being kind. The half-time shows are absolutely horrible.

Pradeep said:
Can anyone link me to the actual rules of American Football? No one I have ever met knows all of them, last night the third quarter with Oakland took frigging forever. Some players are "eligible" to receive the ball and others aren't? Any game that has what, 9 referees?, is grossly overcomplicated. And 15 minute quarters? Gimme a break.
Here are the rules from the NFL.com site, and a more comprehensive overview can be found here. You're right about no one knowing all of the rules, not even the refs do (see my second post in this thread).
Pradeep said:
To me the Superbowl is a good excuse for a piss-up, not as good as a five day Boxing Day Test of course but still not bad.
A major reason for the popularity of football in the U.S. is it's an excuse to get together with friends to drink and over-eat. I don't drink, but I don't mind over-eating every once in a while. :)

slo crostic

Learning Storage Performance
I don't even care who wins in the Australian football let alone American football. Soccer on the other hand is a reasonably skillful game. I don't watch it much but I usually tune in to the F.A. cup and a few matches when the world cup is on.
My spectator sport of choice is snooker, probably because I play it a bit, and occasionally American 9 ball. The high level players in snooker are some of the most skilled sportsmen in the world IMHO.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
slo crostic said:
I don't even care who wins in the Australian football let alone American football. Soccer on the other hand is a reasonably skillful game.

Don't get me wrong. I have played soccer for most of my life and only played one year of junior high football. I like soccer. But nothing I can think of compares to the teamwork required in american football. This game requires a high percentage of the players on the field to be above average plus a few stand-outs in order to succeed.

As Pradeep implied, there are specific roles on the field; and some of the vital players (linemen in particular) almost never get appropriate recognition for their contribution.

Many games require individual skill, but few games require the teamwork of american football.

Splash

Looks like there's about 6 people with egg on their faces.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers mastered the Oakland Raiders throughout the game much like a Cobra might master a field rat.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Football in HDTV is absolutely AMAZING! Cablevision finally started to catch up to other cable and satellite companies and started offering HDTV just this past Thursday, so my parents were able to get it in time for the game. Seeing it on a 57" screen is just jaw-dropping. I can't wait for baseball season.

As for the game itself, I was one of the people who picked the Raiders, but they just looked pitiful today. Tampa Bay was clearly the better team, and they deserved to win. The Super Bowl party at my parents' place was pretty good as usual, with lots of good food and desserts. It was hard to hear the game though, with a bunch of loud ex-Marines talking all the time. :)

Splash

Mercutio said:
The super bowl was today?

If you saw the Dallas Cowboys versus Buffalo Bills or NY Giants versus Buffalo Bills games in the 1990s, then this wasn't too different -- with the Raiders being the equivalent to the Bills.

Final score was 48 to 21, though it could easily have been 51 to 14.

Splash

> Final score was 48 to 21, though it could easily have been 51 to 14.

Excuse me, 51 to 15.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Splash said:
If you saw...[fuh fuh sports fuh]

Nope. I was emotionally invested in my "Who Cares" response. Way I see it, I won no matter what.

Although I really didn't know the game was yesterday. I spent my day fiddling around with someone else's misbehaving PC and reading Iain Banks novels.

Maybe the scrotum-biting guy will make it next year.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Yesterday I sadly had to remain sober throughout the day due to driving duties. I also spent an hour in f##### freezing conditions plowing the driveway. Then I had to drive about an hour on icy roads to pick up pizza etc. When I got back it was already a 20-3 whitewash at half time. Then the Raiders started picking up and getting touchdowns. I still think it was a massive mistake to go for the three 2-point conversions instead of going for the surety of the one point kick. So in the end they had to get two touchdowns instead of one touchdown and one fieldgoal. And those two intercepts they threw. God, what an embarrasment. You could tell they really didn't want it as bad as the Bucs. I just wish I could get some good old Aussie Rules footy over here (scrotum biting included - tho I think that was Rugby League).

.Nut

Pradeep said:
Yesterday I sadly had to remain sober throughout the day due to driving duties. I also spent an hour in f##### freezing conditions plowing the driveway. Then I had to drive about an hour on icy roads to pick up pizza etc...

Uh... kinda unseasonable weather for Tasmania this time of year isn't it???

Where are you living, the Macquaries? <<I don't think they have pizza on Macquarie Island>>

.Nut

Well, you need to get back to Tasmania as soon as possible!

Business is down dramatically since you've left. Tasmanian beer distributors and retailers have hit the skids in a big way and are now drinking all the unsold stock themselves. :^/