Storage Space Direct in Server 2016

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Storage Space Direct, a much improved version of Storage Space compared to the version in Windows Server 2012. It's Microsoft version of Software Defined Storage.

I'm considering it as an alternative to a SAN for our next architecture. It would allow us to have an all flash storage pool and the maintenance is a lot simpler than with most SAN, especially our main one (a 3PAR StoreServ).

There are many guides online on how to do it. Anyone here has tried it yet?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Didn't notice before, but S2D requires Datacenter edition, which drives the price up tremendously with M$ new pricing scheme. S2D therefore is much less appealing than what I thought.

Also, there's no dedup when using ReFS within the VM. No data locality on the nodes either, hence the strong suggestion to use NICs with RoCE or iWarp and DCB-capable switches. Even then, since a lot of data goes thru the network, latency is higher than on a Nutanix cluster.

I'm waiting for a Nutanix proposal next week. Hopefully, the premium won't be too significant. Compared to using Powershell for everything in M$ world, Nutanix's Acropolis with Prism is dead easy to deal with.