SSDs - State of the Product?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The one I received is retail, but not an upgrade kit. I realty bought it it of curiosity, though it performs so well that I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I just don't trust Samsung drives to be reliable.

Handruin

Administrator
Why's that? Vendor was on the egg, but I don't remember the price of every cheap thing I buy on the internet.

Cool thanks. Looks like newegg and Amazon are the same price, so I'll probably go with Amazon. I'm considering one, so I was curious if you had found a deal somewhere, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

LunarMist

Cool thanks. Looks like newegg and Amazon are the same price, so I'll probably go with Amazon. I'm considering one, so I was curious if you had found a deal somewhere, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Sort of. This was the one I ordered last week. The price was $100 minus the ten dollar code. I think they jacked the price a day or two later by the time I received it. :(

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It cannot be a SandForce controller with the advertised transfert rates. The new Marvel controller would be a better match, but we cannot be sure until someone gets one and crack it open. So far, only Plextor came up with a model using the Marvel 88SS9187.

LunarMist

In June Toshiba announced some THNSNF SSDs using their own controller.
The specs are not identical, but perhaps they are related.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Well I hope they've improved their controllers a lot because from what I remember from the performance of old budget Kingston SSD that used to use Toshiba-made controllers, the end result was quite ugly. They had a reputation to be relaible though.

LunarMist

At those prices I would have no interest in Toshiba compared to Samsung, Crucial or the Intel. Maybe I'd consider the Toshiba SSD next year if there is enough history by then.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Prices way down too, my boss called me to check out a corsair 256gb 6g drive that was going for under $200 somewhere.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That's a good deal right now, yes. I suspect that 'round about Xmastime, we'll be seeing 512GB drives below $300 though.

Handruin

Administrator
It seems like a decent drive for the price. I'm in need of space on two different systems. I'll get one now and wait until late December to see if the price dropped like you're projecting for my second one.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I understand why you'd want to put one in a laptop, especially if you can only put one drive in there. For a desktop, I would buy a cheaper, smaller drive and just add more spinning drives.

Handruin

Administrator
I understand why you'd want to put one in a laptop, especially if you can only put one drive in there. For a desktop, I would buy a cheaper, smaller drive and just add more spinning drives.

After thinking about it for a bit, I'm actually going to go with the 256GB model for $165 for my laptop. I'm going to use a bit of the cost difference to bump my RAM from 4GB to 8GB for $36 and that's replacing both SODIMMs and bringing my T500 to its max supported. I have a 160GB 7200 RPM drive in there now and I have about 25GB free, so this should give me enough room for a while at 256GB (I plan to wipe the system and reinstall). I mostly want the speed bump for software development for school so rather than replace the perfectly working laptop, this should give it a second wind. I'll wait for the 512GB to come down in price before considering it for my desktop.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
After thinking about it for a bit, I'm actually going to go with the 256GB model for $165 for my laptop. I'm going to use a bit of the cost difference to bump my RAM from 4GB to 8GB for $36 and that's replacing both SODIMMs and bringing my T500 to its max supported. I have a 160GB 7200 RPM drive in there now and I have about 25GB free, so this should give me enough room for a while at 256GB (I plan to wipe the system and reinstall). I mostly want the speed bump for software development for school so rather than replace the perfectly working laptop, this should give it a second wind. I'll wait for the 512GB to come down in price before considering it for my desktop.

Sounds like a better plan to me. My work laptop has 8GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD, it's been quite nice for development work.

What are you going back to school for?

Handruin

Administrator
Sounds like a better plan to me. My work laptop has 8GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD, it's been quite nice for development work.

What are you going back to school for?

I decided to work toward a masters in software engineering at Brandeis University (starting this week). I'm not yet officially enrolled in the masters program, but I'm taking two courses that count toward the degree. Next spring I will apply when I'm done these two courses. I'm taking OO Design and advanced programming in Java.

Handruin

Administrator
In a non-scientific testing way, the new Crucial M4 drive seems very fast. I did a clean install of Win 7 also which helps. Laptop boots in about 12 seconds after POST. I noticed one hiccup about 15 minutes ago that was worrisome. The hard drive light was on solid and the entire machine wasn't responding for probably 90 seconds or slightly more. The system event manager reported a timeout on the drive, but nothing else. No BSOD or corruption as far as I can tell. Hopefully that won't continue to happen.

Handruin

Administrator
Possibly 'Trim' doing it's thing.

It might be. I found thread of people in Crucial's forums complaining about the same thing. Crucial recommends powering on the drive, but disconnect the SATA cable and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then power off for 30 seconds and repeat (with the cable still disconnected). During this time the idle IO will allow the internal controller to scan and do maintenance to clean up. If I still have issues, it'll be returned...which is what I'm guessing will happen. I'm at the latest drive firmware also and a disk scan returned no sector issues. Seems like a bug to me in crucial's firmware (or hardware) since so many other people have see it and it's not specific to Windows OS.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Is it nearly full or completely dirty from something? Can't think why a newish drive would do that.

Handruin

Administrator
Is it nearly full or completely dirty from something? Can't think why a newish drive would do that.

Nope, I'm using maybe 40GB out of 256GB with a clean install of Win7 64-bit. Can't say if it was dirty from something (other than say windows, but that's a different debate). It was formatted before install. I also disabled windows defrag scheduler to make sure it won't put excessive wear on the drive.

LunarMist

I have thirty-something GB in the desktop system includin SSDs g two 240/256, so space is not the issue. The laptop I'm considering has only one drive. However, I'm not keen on paying two grand for an OCZ/Indilink drive.