SSDs - State of the Product?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
... which is great until a mission-critical system that someone is using as a workstation gets a virus or can't install an update because of some userland application...

This is why my home file servers have NOTHING else on them but Samba and Apache.

ddrueding

Fixture
... which is great until a mission-critical system that someone is using as a workstation gets a virus or can't install an update because of some userland application...

This is why my home file servers have NOTHING else on them but Samba and Apache.

My workstation hasn't had a virus since the days of BBS on 14.4. The only server application that is running on my machine directly is VMWare Server, which is running, fully up-to-date, and hosting test environments all the time anyway.

It may not be the ideal, but it is the easiest way for me to monitor backups, insure the functionality of the spare machine, test machine restoration, and test patches/updates before they hit production machines.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've disabled the scheduled defrag & am running a fresh backup. Any other tweaks for a Vista on a Vertex?

Not that I can think of. I'd make sure that it is running a firmware after the garbage collection was introduced, then start appreciating the speedy goodness.

Handruin

Administrator
Alishada was a spammer, sorry. Profile's home page linked to a spam site...their profile said they're in the US, but their IP routes to china. I deleted them.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Somebody brought up the idea of a flash drive on a PCI-e channel. Is this likely to happen soon? Is this the likely evolution of the product? Will it significantly increase performance? I'm curious, as I'm starting to think about my next system build.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
TRIM now on some other drives:

http://www.corsair.com/news/press_release.aspx?id=1263986

Jim Carlton, VP of Marketing for Corsair. "While other SSD manufacturers have rushed out bug-ridden firmware and update tools, sometimes with disastrous consequences for end-users, Corsair refused to jump on the bandwagon. We took the time to rigorously test and quality our tools, ensuring that our users will have the best experience possible."
Ouch

http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/news/155

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Why bother? Won't do anything for you other than monitor SMART stuff. Didn't seem to hose anything on my system though.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
"Didn't seem to hose anything on my system though."

Pretty sad when that can be described as progress on Intel's part Max :)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Given that the last one stealthily hosed restore points and you didn't know till you needed them and now I think it actually does something for the garbage collection, takes a few seconds and there is a progress indicator so I don't know that the last one did anything at all. Sounds like a lot of progress.

ddrueding

Fixture
Bah, it requires a molex connector. I was hoping for no cables. The only thing in the box besides the drive is a quarter-sheet saying to plug it in and a bunch of foam.

ddrueding

Fixture
What do you expect for only $2k?

Reminds me of last weekend at the Ritz Carlton at Northstar, Lake Tahoe. All the visitors (including me) were wowing at how great the place was, while the people who actually splashed out to stay there were complaining about the lack of heated seats on the balcony.

ddrueding

Fixture
Windows 7 detected the drive as "LSI Adapter, SAS 3000 series, 8-port with 1068E". I thought there were only 4 cards in there? And there is an external SAS port on the card....I wonder ;)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's here. Any particular tests you want to see?

Those are interesting, especially the 256GB model. Is there any way you can determine how much the drive performance deteriorates after 150-200 TB of random writes?

ddrueding

Fixture
Those are interesting, especially the 256GB model. Is there any way you can determine how much the drive performance deteriorates after 150-200 TB of random writes?

Sure. I'll set up a script to start flogging it with stuff. Won't necessarily be random, but it will saturate the drive sure enough.

LunarMist

Is it correct that the SSD card takes up two slots, including the one to the left of the card?

ddrueding

Fixture
I didn't look that big, but I'll need to take a look. I did put it in the bottom-most slot and there is still a small amount of space (few mm) below. Compared to the 5970 it is quite small ;)

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Well, I now know the lifespan of ECS motherboards. The other free-after-rebate Elite mobo I had, a G31T-M, spewed forth a lovely hot plastic smell this afternoon. ..

So if the MSI G41 works out I'll probably pick up another. ..

I'll grant that I haven't verified the CPU is good but I'd place money on it being an ECS motherboard before I'd bet on a Q6600 burning up.

Confirmed. When I removed the motherboard there was a black scorch mark on the case and an accompanying mark on the back of the board itself that I couldn't see from the front. The replacement MSI is being put through it's paces now.

LunarMist

Paying more per GB for MLC, and slower in some critical tests is not so good in 2010. :( I'm waiting for SATA 6.0 Gbps SSDs.

ddrueding

Fixture
Price is really good. I don't see them coming down much more. Larger sizes will approach that price, but a bit more than $100 is low enough to clear most peoples restrictions.

I have a stack of those on my desk right now, and have used a dozen in the last week. A pair in RAID-0 (60GB) should do great for a workstation.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
David:
is there much difference between two and three of those drives in raid 0 to humans, not benchmarks?
Or is it at a point of diminishing returns?

ddrueding

Fixture
David:
is there much difference between two and three of those drives in raid 0 to humans, not benchmarks?

Even two is past the point of realistic performance improvements. Three just insures that something else is the bottleneck.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
David:

You really want to use 3 drives in RAID 0? What are you doing that you need that much STR? I hope you do frequent backups.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Currently my Raid 0 throughput is 150 mb/sec or so.

I'd like something that is a noticeable increase. Two drives are a bit smaller then I would like, but, doable.

I'm going to try that first.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Greg, I subjectively can't tell the difference between two G1 X-25Ms and three in RAID0 for anything. I'm not sure it even made a second worth of difference in Windows startup times.