SSD review

ddrueding

Fixture
Nice. Pitty it is too big for all the 9.5mm laptops out there. I just hope it brings down the cost of the 64GB ones (and the 1.8" as well).

LOST6200

Storage is cool
He neds more transfre raTES FOR THE DESKTOP AND yet it si TOO HUGE for the noTEBOok.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Nice. Pitty it is too big for all the 9.5mm laptops out there. I just hope it brings down the cost of the 64GB ones (and the 1.8" as well).

Very unlikely. More likely the pooo-pooo'd iPhone by SF members, that has already sold more than a million in 74days ("introducing the iPod pico, it holds a billion, a bill-ion songs and videos" :), sorry still thinking about the SNL parody of Steve Jobs), thats a million 8GB Nand chips, is a driving force in consumer level price drops.

I told you to wait ;).
Samsung ships 64GB solid-state notebook drive
http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/09/10/samsung.notebook.64gb.ssd/

Based on the 50nm process of last year, however. Next year with Charge Trap 40nm process, I would expect 128GB for about the price of current 32GB, but by then I would also expect a 250GB Hitachi screamer 7.2k laptop drive that matches this years desktop 1TB drives in performance, much as the current 200GB 7.2k Hitachi is at recent desktop drive performance even by Eugene's standards. I almost never though I see the day when Eugene would a) test a laptop drive, and b) *not* whine about how slow it was compared to the average desktop drive. do wonders never seem to amaze? Will Eugene now start objectively reviewing SSD's drives? :eek:

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, my SSD arrived broken (packaging appeared fine, but SATA connector was fractured). When I shipped it back to newegg, they were out of stock. I got my money back. One impulse buy prevented ;)

I won't be able to wait until next year, though. I'm sure I'll get another before then.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Well, my SSD arrived broken (packaging appeared fine, but SATA connector was fractured). When I shipped it back to newegg, they were out of stock. I got my money back. One impulse buy prevented ;)

That sucks, but at least maybe you will get a lower price in a couple months.

Has anyone here gotten an SSD yet?

ddrueding

Fixture
Not until the price/GB is similar to mechanical HDD

For me it doesn't have to be similar; 2x the equivalent in Raptors would do.

Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM - $160

I could see paying $320 for 64GB SATA SSDs. Hell I almost payed $500+

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Iw 0uld eb OK with 8gB or a 16 Gb drive for sure if it hwad the fast tranesfer rates enough. :0

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Iw 0uld eb OK with 8gB or a 16 Gb drive for sure if it hwad the fast tranesfer rates enough. :0

32GB would be fine for me (at around $300), provided it could completely saturate a SATA-II or SAS connection. (eg 300MB/s STR and near 250MB/s for Random).

Coupled with a couple of 250GB data drives in RAID5....Mmmmm...

(I would use the SSD for OS/App/Working data, and the RAID for NearLine/Archive storage).

LOST6200

Storage is cool
That reminds me of something. Whatever happeneed top the 2nd generation of the IRAM for SAta II?

ddrueding

Fixture
That reminds me of something. Whatever happeneed top the 2nd generation of the IRAM for SAta II?

I watched off and on for a while. They were never available, and never got the capacity up to an acceptable level. Probably a good idea for them to scrap it with SSDs charging down the pipe...

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Even though the price is in the stratosphere, at least SDD capacities are finally the same order of magnitude as magnetic disks. A few more years of Moore's Law should get the price per GB more competitive. Right now 32GB, which seems to be the sweet spot for SSDs, can be had for roughly $400 to $500. This is perhaps 75 times the price per GB of magnetic storage. This will probably drop by a factor of four or better each year as flash RAM densities go up. Give it another three years, and we'll reach price parity with magnetic disks while matching or exceeding capacity.

My own personal price point is $99. Right now I can get an 8GB SD card and IDE adaptor for that price, and still have money left over. However, 8GB is not really terribly useful these days (except for a pure DOS machine) so I'll wait. I would definitely buy a 128 GB SSD for $99, even though the cost per GB would be higher. It would make a great boot drive.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
8gBB is easil;y enough from my XOP and appilcators partition, and page file. I suppose Vissa needs more caopacity.

ddrueding

Fixture
Unless you are a gamer. A single game can easily be 8GB, and would be one of the main reasons I would want an SSD. My system is restarted about once a month, so that wouldn't be it.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Sutre, but those gaming kids are nevcer satisfuied with teh speeds and preoformance. Thety are aloways lookiing for higher resulotion, more reaslistic deipictions of slaughter and voiolence booldlust.

ddrueding

Fixture
Practice ;)

Seriously, it's nice way to relax after getting home. The last 15 miles can be brutal traffic, and it's nice to be able to pass them all on the shoulder - in the game.

It's also a non-caffeine way for me to get my brain working in the morning.

ddrueding

Fixture
They stated in the review that the model tested was intended for industrial applications. It's not a speed demon, that's for sure.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
On that anandtech article the ad I saw was for the upcoming samsung SSD drives. Looks like they might actually be usable for a boot drive. Maybe a 32GB version will replace my SCSI boot drive.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
What do thinnking about the Motron SSd s? $800 for 32gb at 100mbsec reads, 80 mbsec wirtes. I wish they had a smaller capcity.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Yes , but I want only the SATA STDs for foreward conmpatibility. :) Are there any fatster one out there that are small enough to be raesonably affordable?

LOST6200

Storage is cool
That one is too slow being olnly 45/60 mb/sec. {write/redas). I want 80/100 licke the Motron.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I think it's the second. Who wants to guess how long it will be before these hit the retail channel (i.e. Newegg)?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
This generation? I'll go for 2 weeks 'til they are listed, and a month until they are in stock at MSRP.

Dream on dd, go look at the article I linked to about this in the news section of SF, these newer SSD's are only in sampling stages.

$2k for the old 64GB 45MB/s SSD's as used in the Alienware I linked to before, that just came out in August...a full year after the annoucement by Samsung of this 'generation' as you put it.

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.asp?rid=fd_10&itemid=1438224518

It will take several more years before the prices come down to under $1k on these faster/higher capacity SSD's, IMHO (prediction).

ddrueding

Fixture
It will take several more years before the prices come down to under $1k on these faster/higher capacity SSD's, IMHO (prediction).

If interest remained at it's current levels and the technology proceeded at it's current pace, you would be right. While I don't share JTR's degree of optimism, I suspect most of us with tech fetishes will own an SSD by this time next year.