SR Lives!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
StorageForum should be able to stand on its own. That's the idea, anyway. At the moment I'm a bit giddy that SR is here to stay but a hesitant participant in the discussions of the moment. Signal to noise seems very high here, and this is where I've been spending time.

Tannin has made some eloquent statements about using SF for 'discussions of permanence', and I think that's a good goal.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
You guys don't have to decide tonight you know. Think it over, there is no rush. I understand Davin and Eugene's fear but I believe they are ill founded. It would be helpful if they were to post here since they have been given full access to the site should they feel any damage was actually being done to SR by this site's existence. I don't believe they anything to worry about.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
For me, this is the best place

I don't like putting my eggs in a broken basket.

Suffice to say, that what made the Storage Review special is all the people that post here, Gary, Tannin, Tea, Flagreen,
Mercutio, and everyone else.

I'm reluctant to trust those guys again, after they 'lost' the entire discussion part of the forum. There was stuff there I was counting on, and used, all the time, for computer information.
HDparm settings for linux, etc.

All of those things are the results of the posters, and friends, I have in the forum.

I think the security of this place, and the people that post here, are way better then having to go back and put up with Tornados, Davin's rude comments, etc.

I have much more faith in Tannin, or Mercutio, or Gary, to keep a site up and running, and to give feedback and suggestions on valid questions.

The small group feeling of storage review was erroding in the later months of storage review, and, after going back, and lurking, I don't even recognize the posters, or the people. It's sort of like going home, and finding out, it's completely changed...

Anyway, I hope we keep this forum going, regardless of what Storage Review does, because the success of storage review is what has killed it.

I'll still read Davin's posts on what are the new, greatest ide drives of the week, and their tests are sure to be really intresting, but, I would really like this forum to continue.

gs

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hmmm, I feel quite at home here with you guys. This is the place for me to visit every X hours, not SR. SR was that place, but now it's SF...

Gotta go and see what the fuss you posted about is, haven't been to SR for many days now.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I was also a bit upset by the comment of Davin regarding this forum. Personally, I see no reason to close StorageForum.net now that we know that SR has a future. They are two different web sites with different purposes. I will continue to visit both, as long as I'll find interesting discussion topics in both.

Last but not least, I feel I have a lot more control/influence here than I have on SR's forum. Not that I'm a power freak or something (I don't intend to rule anything), but I feel that if I suggest something to improve the web site, there's a far greater chance that my request will be considered and answered here than at StorageReview. To sum up, I like the team work of StorageForum.

bahngeist

What is this storage?
For me, this is the best place

Santilli said:
The small group feeling of storage review was erroding in the later months of storage review, and, after going back, and lurking, I don't even recognize the posters, or the people. It's sort of like going home, and finding out, it's completely changed...
I don't agree with everything Santilli said in the post sourced (but I understand the feelings, and where he is coming from), but wholeheartedly agree that the quality of the SR's forum has been in decline for awhile.

Anyway, when I first accessed SF it was very much a breath of fresh air; it is reminscent of the community that existed back in summer of 2000. I don't intend to give up on SR in any way or form, but my hope is that SF will continue on and flourish -- great work, please keep it up :D

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
3 small examples that make SF feel more cozy:

1) Usual suspects post... Mercutio, Tannin, Santilli, etc. (you know who you are!) I'll go where these guys go...
2) Avatars, Ranks, User Polls... small things that make the site friendlier...
3) Peer-to-Peer Reviewing... I'm pretty sure that this is the most high value of a good democratic forum. There's no Moderator or Administrator to piss off. If you offend somebody you get bashed by all other members. Handruin may have these powers but I'm pretty sure he will use them only in extreme cases. Otherwise everyone is responsible for himself.

I'm just so sad that P5 was right when he said "things will never be the same..." :cry:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think there's a moderator on SR to piss off, either. Look how much pissing vambat or Monica, or, more recently, dtvhack had to do to have punitive action taken.

Moderation here: We're still working on it. Slowly. Very slowly. :)

Yes, the quality of SR's forums probably would be much higher if everyone here took up there full time. Anyone really want to do that at this point?

Me neither.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Seems to me, all those guys, Sean, and others, wanted me to

leave storage review anyway.

I think I'll lurk, and comment on occassion, but this is going to be my first stop.

gs

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Greg, I'm getting quite used to it now, but Tea keeps complaining every time you post bits in the "subject" field. Says it confuses her. (Which, personally, I think is a good thing.)

Vlad The Impaler

Learning Storage Performance
I love it here as well. I find SR much less personal than it used to be, and SF is much more cozy. Also, I don't get drawn into pointless discussions about politics with people I can never agree with.

In short SF is much nicer place to be and is my first stop.