Spybot updates off-line?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
We use Spybot heaps. These days, it's the best spyware cleaner around (at least the best that I know of), clearly superior to Ad-Aware. Trouble is, it insists on downloading the latest updates for itself before it will run at all, and that is a major pain, for two different reasons:

* A: It takes ages, even of broadband, because the poor overworked update servers are often mega-slow, or off-line completely.

* B: Some machines run Win98 which can't connect to the web except in normal mode (no safe mode with netwoking) and you often don't want to touch normal mode until you get the worst of the infection cleaned up.

* C: It chews up precious server resources and wastes badwidth.

* D: It costs us bandwidth too.

Err.... that seems to be four reasons. Anyone know if it's possible to avoid the waste and hassle by downloadig the updates once (say, on a weekly basis) and burning them to CD? If so, how do I tell Spybot to get the updates off the CD instead of the web?

(PS: I guess I wind up downloading Spybot updates about 6 or 7 times a day on average.)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Oh. Thanks LM. I've been aware of that file (downloaded it and burned it to CD months ago) but it didn't seem to do anything. It occurs to me that maybe you are supposed to copy it to your Spybot install folder and run it from there or something. I'll try it. And take this opportunity to point out that it is completely 100% non-documented! (I've been trying to copy it to the folder and then run update from inside Spybot. Now that I know the file actually has a purpose, I'll try a few other ways.)

Thanks LM.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea: You download the excludes file and run it (it's an .exe, right?). It locates your Spybot install folder (usually Program Files\sumtinorother) and updates it.

I have never been able to do an online update. Ever. Alwyas errors out with sumtinorother. I always download the includes file from Spybot's main website and run it as above. I just checked, the latest file is dated Sep. 23.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've found that it makes a very big difference which update server you choose to get your updates from. I like Safer Networking (Europe) and SecurityWonks.net. If I don't pay attention and start grabbing the updates from EON (the Aussie site), I know I have a 20 minute wait ahead of me.

Tannin probably has the opposite problem.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Also, WRT adaware...

Just today I ran into something that was detected by Adaware that was missed by Norton AV 2005, Housecall, Spybot, Microsoft Antispyware and Spyware Sweeper, all completely up to date.

I believe the file was called "QoLogic Downloader", which Adaware called a trojan and gave an 8.00 TAC rating.

Spybot is nice and everything but Adaware still seems to detect and remove more stuff in my experience.