Sound card recommendation for 2003 Server?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a sound card that works well with 2003 Server. My MX400 soundcard doesn't want to behave. Creative Labs need not be mentioned.

Thanks.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
A couple of requirements:

Needs to run OK with SMP
Needs to have a digital output, FW/UBS2 hub/kitchen sink functionality is not required.

TIS

Adcadet

Storage Freak
ok, I'm totally out of the loop here. I remember Creative writting some really sucky software, but my old Live card seems to be running just fine in my dual Athlon MP system with both WinXP and Win2k3Server.

FYI - I mostly just listen to MP3s with headphones....

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've had problems with enabling digital output on, oh, anything, and still being able to use the Line in.

That said, the ACL650 on my 7VAXP works as well under 2003 as it does anyplace else (e.g. not perfectly but "good enough").

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i used my Hercules Fortissimo II sound card in 2k3, I didn't use it much, but it worked fine. It has worked well for me in XP as well. Don't know if it is specifically SMP compatible or not.

sfmember

What is this storage?
blakerwry said:
i used my Hercules Fortissimo II sound card in 2k3, I didn't use it much, but it worked fine. It has worked well for me in XP as well. Don't know if it is specifically SMP compatible or not.

Blake-
If that is the one I sold you...it works fine in SMP systems (my Athlon dually). That's why I bought it and it worked excellently.

C

sfmember

What is this storage?
lol it seems I have accidentally used my alternate identity I wanted to anonymously read the forums with...oh well I guess the secret is out. :roll:

C

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
LOL, if I had an ISA slot Tony I would use my trusty SB 16 ASP with Waveblaster daughterboard, set me back about AUS$800 way back when. Worked great with win 3.x.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm leaning towards the Hercules.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You know what the best thing about Sound Blaster 16s was? You plugged them in and they worked, that was the best thing.

Hooloe Doolie - $800 for an SB-16. OK, it was the ASP version and you had a Wave Blaster as well (I can't even remember what Wave Blasters were for now, though I sold a couple), but that's still a lot of folding stuff for a soundcard.

Hercules rarely make a bad product. It's a good bet.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The SB16 ASP was around $400, and the Waveblaster (wave sample MIDI board - had a massive 4MB of hardware samples) was another $400. I believe they later came out with the Waveblaster 2 which was a cheaper version. MIDI was the s###. .WAV for games was a far off thing. This was around the time I bought a P-66, so obviously I wasn't thinking too straight.