Some work on my A3

Stereodude

Not really a
To elaborate, the new wheels were nearly half the weight of the stock S-line 18" my car came with. This and the better brakes dropped rotational mass probably 30% and unsprung mass around 15%.
You've got an A3, clearly the question wasn't directed to you. :p

Handruin

Administrator
The wheels on my new S4 must weight 30Lbs (plus the tire). I just swapped my winters today and they were heavy. They're 19x9 and the summer wheels are 19x9 and weight about 19Lbs (plus the tire).

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I spend $1019 on an oil change yesterday. They "threw-in" four new tires and replacement engine motor mounts for my POS (in comparison to your A3) 2002 Saturn SL2.

ddrueding

Fixture
Still driving it, still awesome. Though with the bigger turbo the power doesn't really come on until the speed is....uncomfortable.

1130172257_crop_489x489.jpg

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Is this the vehicle that can't pass emissions testing because of the CEL issue? Any resolution to the issue?

ddrueding

Fixture
The car feels much faster than that, but there was wheelspin to about 35mph (all 4; was slipping down the crown of the road a bit).

Got the CEL fixed, but it still won't pass the "visual inspection", or the fact that the 2nd O2 sensor is bypassed, or some other stuff. Kinda gave up on that. I'll just drive it until they either take it from me or make the penalties too significant.

Currently 120,000 miles, and doing pretty well. Hoping it holds out at least until the Model 3 gets delivered (another 6 months? I am near the front of the line). At that point we can sell the wife's 2013 allroad and this thing, then I'll get something else. Perhaps I'll rinse and repeat with a Golf R, but I am looking at a Kia Stinger GT.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Got the CEL fixed, but it still won't pass the "visual inspection", or the fact that the 2nd O2 sensor is bypassed, or some other stuff. Kinda gave up on that. I'll just drive it until they either take it from me or make the penalties too significant.

Do they actually inspect the car for a CA emissions test? Perhaps take it to an 'authorized testing facility' and grease the tech?!? Here in AZ they simply plug into the OBDII port and ensure all the readiness monitors are set and that there are no error codes. Then they connect a hose to the gas cap to check it's function. If all the monitors are set + no error codes + working gas cap = emissions pass. You could be pumping tons of crap out the tail pipe and they don't check or care. Just pay the $17 fee and GTFO. Fee was $27 last time, I was surprised they actually lowered the fee. Two year registration fee for my 2002 car was $35.

Handruin

Administrator
Nice! Does the A3 have enough space for a reasonable battery capacity? I'll definitely be interested to see what you do with this.

ddrueding

Fixture
Still working on convincing the Mrs, but it is looking good so far. At the moment I'm just wondering if the controller supports dual-motor operation; the suspension/chassis seems to have room for one front and rear. As far as battery goes, there is certainly enough room to add what I'd like. I'm just tempted to keep the capacity/weight a bit lower for a sportier ride. At that point the question is how many batteries do I need to be able to feed the full draw of the motor(s) without damaging them or causing a voltage sag.

Battery module here, considering 5-10 of them.

Handruin

Administrator
I can see this as being an interesting a fun project but given the possible financial cost I wonder if it makes sense vs getting a used EV vehicle? I realize there are a lot of factors in qualifying the value in doing this, many of which only you can answer. The parts you've mentioned alone might be in the $19K -> $26.5K range before having custom integration work done. Is that $5-$10K amount of work?

From a safety perspective I find it difficult to answer how retrofitting electric drive and the large quantity of potential energy into a car not initially designed to manage that environment in a crash situation would leave me concerned.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I can see this as being an interesting a fun project but given the possible financial cost I wonder if it makes sense vs getting a used EV vehicle? I realize there are a lot of factors in qualifying the value in doing this, many of which only you can answer. The parts you've mentioned alone might be in the $19K -> $26.5K range before having custom integration work done. Is that $5-$10K amount of work?

From a safety perspective I find it difficult to answer how retrofitting electric drive and the large quantity of potential energy into a car not initially designed to manage that environment in a crash situation would leave me concerned.

Is that a track day car? It's not so great to daily drive a custom vehicle that is not street legal or safe.
Check with your insurer.

ddrueding

Fixture
For parts it looks like about $20k, the labor is a bit of a question. I'm fortunate enough to have friends who are retired professional fabricators and race car engineers, who have the facilities, tools, and skills to do that part of the job well and for beer money. The electrical is pretty straightforward, as all this has been done many times before and is well documented. The big questions are around the brakes and HVAC. Brakes are currently vacuum assisted and will need some figuring out. Heat and AC are an open question.

With just a single power unit it will only be a 15-20% increase over current power levels, and the total weight and distribution won't be too far from what it is now. Of course, fast car crashes hurt more than slow ones, but that is a different discussion.

Legal? The only thing CA cares about is windows, blinkers, registration, and emissions. Starting with a legal car and making it emit nothing will keep them off my back.

Insurance? Quite possibly more, possibly make it be liability only, but I'm OK with that.

ddrueding

Fixture
Whelp, the A3 was cited for no reg (can't be registered in CA). I've now registered for non-operation, and it is for sale if anyone is interested.

New car is a '16 VW GTI Autobahn with DSG and an APR Stage 1 ECU and TCU tune.

Yes, all this happened today.

Handruin

Administrator
Wow that went quick. Did you have the GTI on your short list to be able to decide that quick? Did it come with the Stage 1 ECU/TCU or did you add it already?

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't imagine I'm the only one that always does a bit of research and has the options front of mind. For the last few months the car hasn't been registered, so I knew it would be time soon. The three options I had on my short list were a lightly-used 2017 S3 for $41k, a moderately used 2015 Golf R for $$33k, or this one. I gave up the all-wheel-drive, but only spend $24k. I then drove straight to the local APR shop and had the car flashed before I went home.

I'll take out the Racelogic gear this afternoon, but I can already tell that it is faster than the A3 above about 50mph, but FWD traction issues make it not so good off the line.