Software update

Handruin

Administrator
Updated vbulletin to apply security patches and bug fixes in the same version family of 4.x.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks again for all you do to keep this place running! I know I forget that someone is working behind the scenes most of the time...

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks again for all you do to keep this place running! I know I forget that someone is working behind the scenes most of the time...

Thanks for the support. There isn't a ton of work to do for working behind the scenes. I'm not trying to make it out to be more than it is by posting about it. I did get an email from coug as he noticed almost immediately the forums were down so I figured a quick post to let people know why the site was down might help answer that question.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The behavior of the "what's new" button has changed from showing a list of changed threads to what is described as an activity stream list. Not saying it is bad but rather it is different (I reserve judgement). Obviously, the update did more than security updates and bug fixes...

Handruin

Administrator
I also found there was a corrupted database table related to the spamOmatic plugin used for managing our spam intake. This was causing a denial of registration for new members for quite some time and I didn't realize until now. That has been corrected and the plugin has been upgraded to a newer version. There was no other corruption found. I also made a few more tweaks to the spam management to see if it helps to keep junk from being posted by the few spammers who make it by the gates. I also reworked the .htaccess file to block more all of the Chinese spider engine that won't obey the robots.txt file. They account for lots of the guest users on this site. Last I also purged several hundred user accounts that have not accessed in years or have never validated their email. This helped reduce the number quite a bit.

Handruin

Administrator
The behavior of the "what's new" button has changed from showing a list of changed threads to what is described as an activity stream list. Not saying it is bad but rather it is different (I reserve judgement). Obviously, the update did more than security updates and bug fixes...

Yes, you're absolutely correct. This did come as part of the patches, fixes, etc. The default behavior of that activity stream page was to be the default front page. I changed that around so the forum was the default because that's how it's always been. There are some customizations that can be made to the stream page to help it work for us if needed but they aren't that complex. I believe I can add/remove/rearrange how it indexes the data.

There are a few other management features that also came with it for managing mobile devices but I haven't enabled those. The same mobile web theme is still active like it was before.

Handruin

Administrator
I've implemented another new thing behind the scenes tonight as a trial. I've configured a dropbox service to run on this web host which syncs with my account and home machines. So far it seems to be working well.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm confused? I see our logo. Are you talking about something other than the main logo in the top left?

Handruin

Administrator
The icon should be all set now. It may take some time for the old one to go away if your browser is caching it.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Is there any simple way of indicating in the activity stream what posts I have read and what I have not?

Handruin

Administrator
I don't think it has that ability. This is the list of options that are given to me with the base implementation. I will have to see if there are any mods for it to make it more like you've requested.

activity_stream.jpg