Socket G34, 12 cores @ 1.9 GHz or 8 cores at 2.4 GHz?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/29/amd_opteron_6100_launch/page2.html

opteron_6100_table.gif

Both at $744, 80W.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Take that, Hyperthreading!

Actually, eight real cores for $266 is not outlandish, though it'll be interesting to see what each of those cores is actually capable of.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
It might be interesting in seeing a 6136 vs 6168 review.

On one hand you have 8 cores @ 2.4Ghz w/12MB shared cache, and on the other hand 12 cores @ 1.9Ghz w/12MB cache. While the 12core 6168 has a higher theoretical GHz count (22.8GHz vs 19.2GHz), each core on the 8core 6136 runs faster and has more L3 cache per core on the CPU.

Yet both are the same price?

(For those that haven't read any reviews, the "Magney-Cours" uses the same core design as the current Instanbul CPU, so per core performance is the same).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'd rather have 4 cores at 5GHz. Presumably there is no market.

LunarMist

It is 2010. They can do it if there is better effort.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I would, too. But Merc is right; physics and all that. Hell, I would love a single 10GHz CPU.

Easy, find a Pentium4 EE (netburst). Overclock to 5GHz (using LN2), and you have a CPU whose ALUs are running at 10GHz...

PS. For those that don't know, the ALUs on a Netburst based P4, ran at 2x the advertised clock speed.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Does anyone know how to pronounce Mangy-Cours?
I'm assuming it's something like "Man-yee Coors" but francophones are sticklers for pronunciation.

I figure Coug will know.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Until we're able to commercially produce light-based CPUs ~3.5 to 4 GHz is about as fast as we're going to be able to go. There are inherent limits on clock speed due to things like trace capacitance/inductance. You really can't economically get around these limits. This is why we started adding cores in the first place instead of increasing clock speeds. CPUs based on light will have none of these limitations, but they're decades away.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Until we're able to commercially produce light-based CPUs ~3.5 to 4 GHz is about as fast as we're going to be able to go. There are inherent limits on clock speed due to things like trace capacitance/inductance. You really can't economically get around these limits. This is why we started adding cores in the first place instead of increasing clock speeds. CPUs based on light will have none of these limitations, but they're decades away.

Not at present, no...but who knows in the near term future? Just like we're stuck around $1/watt solar panels, in 5-10 could possibly be 1/10th the cost!

Revolutionary New Solution for Semiconductor, Nano Materials

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!

Actually the Power 7 uses optical interconnects for certain pathways:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/27/ibm_power7_hpc_server/print.html

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mahn-yee Coors?
The "s" is silent. Mahn-yee-coor is about as close as an english-speaking person can pronounce it right. If you trully want to ear it, I can try to find a microphone and send you the wave file. There's a French F1 race track that has that name too.

LunarMist

For some reason I never realized that AMD was French. I assumed that they were a US or Taiwanese company.

ddrueding

Fixture
The name of a place (a city, river, mountain range) can't be copyrighted, so they use them as dev names to save money on legal filings.

LunarMist

The name of a place (a city, river, mountain range) can't be copyrighted, so they use them as dev names to save money on legal filings.

What is "dev?" Development, developer, developing?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
They haven't really written much since 2000, have they;-)

David: You REALLY need to get into water cooling...

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Water cooling is certainly a better option when dealing with cards in the power range of the 5970. Let's you take that heat plus the CPU(s) and disperse it into a radiator cooled with slow running 120mm or larger fans. Benefits are far lower noise levels and higher overclocking headroom. Downside is additional cost of cooling system plus extra for waterblocked video cards, and possible total burnout if one of those couplings isn't secure. GFCI outlets would be good. I believe some of the latest water cooling kits have enough intelligence to shutdown the PC if it senses an overtemp situation.

ddrueding

Fixture
Water cooling is certainly a better option when dealing with cards in the power range of the 5970. Let's you take that heat plus the CPU(s) and disperse it into a radiator cooled with slow running 120mm or larger fans. Benefits are far lower noise levels and higher overclocking headroom. Downside is additional cost of cooling system plus extra for waterblocked video cards, and possible total burnout if one of those couplings isn't secure. GFCI outlets would be good. I believe some of the latest water cooling kits have enough intelligence to shutdown the PC if it senses an overtemp situation.

Indeed. I'm hoping that one of the vendors releasing a 5970 E6 will have factory waterblocks on it. My motherboard already does, and I can get a CPU waterblock when I switch to the i7-980X

LunarMist

BECAUSE IT'S NOT TRUE.

On the other hand, Microsoft really is a ski lodge in the Canadian Rockies.

I would not know the difference. I assume MS owns many facilities.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
BECAUSE IT'S NOT TRUE.

On the other hand, Microsoft really is a ski lodge in the Canadian Rockies.
Intel DID have a facility in Oregon where the Willamette (P4) was designed. I know because my cousin worked for them there. He left them in 2001 or 2002, and I don't know if they still have that facility.