Small build

Handruin

Administrator
I've been having decent luck with my T500 after resuming from hibernate under Win7. I use hibernate 95% of the time and suspend happens when the machine has been idle for long periods. I've never had the laptop not come back from a resume.

What I have seen happen is if I closed the lid and the laptop was set to go into suspend and if I open the lid quickly while it's trying to suspend, the machine hangs with a black screen. I've disabled the suspend on lid close and no longer have issues.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I purposefully select Hibernate, because it's normal for me to more than a day between using my laptops. I don't want them to waste power in sleep mode.

Handruin

Administrator
I do the same. Sleep only occurs when I'm away from my laptop for a half hour or so while doing something else.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't want to use the Hibernation, since that requires an extra 3GB and it appears impossible to move from c: to another partition.

LunarMist

The main system takes well over a minute before it gets past all the BIOS screens and then begin to load the OS. However, booting is rather fast on the small system with only three hard drives and one add-in controller.

Stereodude

Not really a
I hibernate my two Dell laptops. I use shut down on my work laptop because hibernation doesn't work after they put PGP Disk encryption on it. Oddly enough my Acer 1810T will boot into Windows 7 faster than it will come out of hibernation, so I use shut down on it also.

My main server stays on 24/7. My workstation, HTPC, & backup server are all shut down when not being used.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I use sleep on my wife's laptop & my work laptop. Sleep works fine with McAfee's disk encryption (formerly SafeBoot). I haven't tried hibernate; I've little use for it.

Only problem I've noticed is my wife's laptop doesn't do a wake-on-LAN over wireless for it's nightly backup to WHS.

Desktops are either on or off; no power modes in use.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
WHS does wake on LAN to bring machines up for a backup and then shuts them down again??

I wasn't aware of that, it is sounding more and more like something I want to get into.

Handruin

Administrator
I've actually used the sleep feature on my Win7 desktop and it works really well. Everything turns off and as soon as I hit a key on my keyboard, the machine is usable in 3-5 seconds. It's a decent way to save some power when I'm out for the day.

LunarMist

As a means for me to save $5000 off the price of a comparable system to yours, I opt for using hibernate. ;-)

I'm not sure how cost affects that more than a few seconds. The key factor is simplicity. A desktop with a single fast SSD should be faster than spinning up and initializing 16 drives in three arrays.

LunarMist

I tried Hibernate and the video card lost its calibration.

LunarMist

Actually, it's acceptable. It's not ideal, but you're well below what the CPU can tolerate.

And for what it's worth, I have yet to encounter hardware that will properly hibernate or suspend and resume under Windows 100% of the time. My Thinkpads under Win7 don't resume maybe one time in six, and under XP/Server 2003 maybe one time in 10.

I'm wondering if it would be worth replacing the CPU in about 6-12 months.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yes, and it works great except for her laptop. Reading Wikipedia, it seems the abliity to do wireless WOL depends on the WiFi chipset.

I'm struggling with home server and the auto backups. Manual backups that I kick off run fine but it doesn't seem to do them at the assigned time.

I was looking around on line and I am not seeing wake on lan mentioned anywhere for WHS, but I am seeing plenty of references to hibernate and suspend modes needed. Seemingly suggesting that a PC that was shutdown doesn't get backed up like my situation as I just shut it all the way down every night.

Are you maybe using a plugin to enable WOL for WHS backups?

LunarMist

Today I received a message from thousands away that the computer won't boot and the image is corrupt. :(
It will be a long Friday night.